Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First CJ 5 1956 F 134 - love at first sight.....

Rust inhibitors/converters work well but need to be followed up with some kind of coating or they will eventually rust again. I used KBR products on my frame and diffs and it seems to work pretty well. They also sell in various colors which other similar type products dont. They sell a combo trial pack which is what I used for my diffs. Its fairly easy to use and inexspensive but it will stain whatever it gets on so if you use it make sure you mask the area very well including your exsposed body parts ie hands, face, hair etc.

Yeah, I've used some rust inhibitors previously, and have seen how the material needs protection overtop. I was thinkin about a high heat or bedliner spray. Never heard of KBR products....is there a website?

Major concern right now is getting it clean and coated with rust-get-outta here. I know I'll be putting more coats of the rust inhibitor on in certain places as I get it cleaned up, but no sense in letting it progress for now, even a little bit.

Understand about the "masking". Use of this product could cause severe laughter and finger pointing if not used properly, with requisite covering of items not intended to be coated.

This is the third time I am trying to post this message. Page keeps freezing up on me then I have to reopen the page. Anyway you are too funny. Here is the web page and I screwed up. Its KBS not KBR and they have whaat you are looking for. They ship quickly and have fair prices for their products. Up to you if you want to try them out.

Wow. 3 tries......I appreciate your effort. Computers can be a royal pain, but they sure do come in hand in cases like this one.

Thansk for the web site.....It looks like they have some great products. I'll definitely be checking them out.

Saturday I finally got that last RR leaf spring bolt out, the one in the front. Had to hack saw thru it. It was completely stripped on the inside. Talk about a pain. Anyway, after all the suspension was off and I could jack up the frame enough to get underneath and have a good look around, I was really surprised. The frame looks GREAT all over. Most of the rust seems to be the tub, and where it attaches to the frame. That doesn't bother me much, I'll deal with that after the major items are taken care of (coat frame, fix BRAKES!!!) and then get to cleaning up all the globbed on grease on the diff's and variousl other greasy/globbed underneath parts. Rust inhibit and undercoat.

This is so much like playing with my go-cart when I was a kid......except I don't have to chage the head gasket every other day!

Thanks again for the info!

I just had to read about your 56 CJ after refurbishing mine this summer..I bought my 56 and it didn't look too bad on the outside..the floor was done for..the body was held on by two bolts and the steering column !..the rear mounts were gone and going over bumps sounded like a dumptruck slamming its tailgate...it had good bones and I took the body off to fix it...ended up scrapping it and buying a new body tub kit..painted the entire chassis w/POR-15...axles, springs, everything !...new tie rod ends, bellcrank bearings, etc...new tub fit perfectly...rewired with a new harness...kept it six volts...put in MB gauges...going to paint it with OD green enamel...painted the engine/drivetrain Hemi Orange...have mounted the spare on the tailgate a la M38...have all 5 tires military tread NDTs...still mounting the seats...have to replace all brake linings, tubing, master cylinder, all four wheel cylinders, all flex lines, too...drum brakes in good condition work just fine...and with my 5.38 gearsets, if I want to slow down, I'll just lift my right foot !...I'm good for only 35-40mph anyway...disc brakes are totally unnecessary here...if I was going super fast (which ain't gonna happen), then discs are a good idea...I have no rear bumper...the front bumper is a massive six inch piece of channel iron that I'm gonna keep...it's very well built and a bit intimidating...good for pushing things out of my way...I put new gaskets in the engine and an aluminum radiator...it is now running and moving under its own power...just need to tackle the brakes...this project is purely entertainment for me...I've owned a 79CJ7 with a SBC350 w/T18 granny gear trans...lots of fun...had a 48 CJ2 all stock...just sold my 05 Wrangler 4cyl. w/6speed trans...had a 62 Willys pickup...now this 56 is my latest toy...on this project, the blue tipped wrench was my best friend...you'll find out...good luck with yours...Mike

Hey there JeepCJ5. Glad to hear your project is going well. Mine was slowed a bit by summer, but I did get a few things done, and a few things identified that need attention. You did the whole tub? Wow. I have a '67 GTO taking up all the space in my garage, so I have to keep my 'Wiley' outside to the side, but I do keep it covered with a tarp that's strapped down. Can't have any more abuse. My tailgate and rear valance, bumper and signal light panels were nothing but Bondo with green paint over it! Everything was sealed shut. Luckily, mine ran really well. Needed new suspension, all around brake redo's just like yours, and I'm absolutely in love with my CJ. It's amazing to work on something that was made before computer technology took over, and all the gadgetry was added on. It's great to have room to "move" when working on the pup. Got my rear suspension all replaced, and can I just tell you that that blue tipped wrench was mighty handy to have in toolbox. 1948Cal Willy's Pickup gave me that little clue, after I had complained about twisting nuts off and shearing bolts. Use of that little wrench was immediately implemented. My tub is in ok shape, except for the rear end Bondo, so I cut all that out and have new tailgate, valance, bumper and light panels to attach. Those are waiting until the brakes get in shape. I figured I'd go ahead and pick them up while I had some spare cash, and I'm glad I did. You are so right about the drum brakes.....no need for disk with my intentions. Crawling around in the woods, up and down the Blue Ridge and Allegheny's is where I'll be spending most of driving time. It sounds like yours is going to be spiffed up nicely! You'll have to post pic's so's we can all admire! Good 'talkin' to ya, and have fun!!