Thread: Carburretor Problem

Carburretor Problem

Hello guys, I have a slight problem with my 50 CJ3a. It was running fine last weekend after putting new cap, rotor, points, plugs and wires and when they wife and I went to go see friends it started spiting and sputtering and damn near didn't make it back home. So I just rebuilt the carburetor with a kit from Mikes Carburetor and its still doing the same thing. Every now and then it'll clear up but it doesn't last long.
    Any Ideas? Anything would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Check your points again, condensor and fuel filter.

I will do that. The fuel filter is pretty new and free flowing. I think I'll try putting the old points and condenser back in just to try and rule them out. I do have to say that if it is the points and condenser then the parts that Kaiser sent are crap. The cap didn't stay clipped on but I was lucky enough that Napa had one.

OK so after another evening of tinkering with the jeep I finally got it running right. I put the original condenser back on, readjusted the points (not much) and adjusted the float. It took a while to start but finally did and runs great for now. Hopefully it'll start tomorrow LOL.

So...what fixed your problem ??...the points and condenser ??..or the float adjustment ??..this is why you should do one at a time to see what the problem was in the first place...but it's good that you are running well now...good luck !!

Quote Originally Posted by JeepCJ5 View Post
    So...what fixed your problem ??...the points and condenser ??..or the float adjustment ??..this is why you should do one at a time to see what the problem was in the first place...but it's good that you are running well now...good luck !!
    JeepCJ5 it was the all in the carb. I had pulled the carb back off and went through it again. Runs like a champ now.
    1950 CJ3A , 2008 Suzuki SX4 AWD

It's a great feeling when you can fix things yourself without having to bring it to a mechanic..Bravo.