Thread: New to the forum - 51 Willys Truck & 73 CJ5

New to the forum - 51 Willys Truck & 73 CJ5

New to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. I have a 1951 Willys Truck that came from previous owner with a Chevy 350 Engine, TH400 transmission, Dana 20 transfer case, Scout power steering box, Scout Dana 44 in the front and Ford 9” in the rear. Frame is solid and engine starts and sounds real good.

As far as rust, I have to repair the floor panel on the driver side, both rear cab corners, lower cowl on the passenger side, both rocker panels, and both doors (lower section), some rust on fenders, and bed side panels. Pretty much all the typical rust you can find in these trucks.

I want to remove it from the frame in order to do all the weld repairs as well as new electrical and fix some minor leaks. I will star all these once I finish working on a 1973 Intermediate CJ5 that I got not too long ago for my wife.

I don’t have to do much to the CJ5. Frame and body are solid. The 258 engine runs good. I already installed a power steering and converted the front brakes to disk. I will install a YJ master cylinder in the future and will convert the suspension to YJ using the RRO conversion kit. The only thing I am debating is if I put a 3 point seat belt system or just leave the lap belt. I am keeping the original low back seats so I don’t know what works best for the seat style. I have read mix review regarding using a 3 point belt system on low back seats.

Anyways glad to be here! Can’t wait to check out your builds!

Hi! Welcome to the forum! Great looking CJ-5 and nice Willys Truck!

Welcome to the forum. Love the vehicles.

Thanks guys!