Thread: Fuel efficiency

Fuel efficiency

Good day fellow Jeepsters

I live in the UK where petrol / gas is currently over $9 a gallon. I am about to take posession of a 1943 MB that I am told will do about 15 miles to the gallon. So it will cost about $100 to fill the tank which will then cover 150 miles - hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

My question - do you know of any after-market improvements (such as carbs or an exhaust system) that will improve the engine's inefficiency and poor fuel consumption?

Thank you for any advice.

Ben
    Last edited by BenMortar; 06-20-2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Typo

Google HHO. Your pre-computer/O2 sensor system is perfect for such a system. I installed a basic setup I made from a mason jar for under 150.00 and went from 26MPG to 33MPG (on a Camry) all the while trying to fool the ECM/PCM. The effort and results are favorable with a basic motor. Just slowly work your levels up so that you can monitor effects on your engine. It will also increase your power dramatically.

Congrats on your "new" 1943 MB....there is no magic solution to good fuel mileage...just keep the old girl in fine tune, grease every fitting, inflate all tires to recommended pressures, and drive as though there was an uncooked egg between your foot and the accelerator pedal...keep your speed down to a reasonable level and your mileage should be acceptable...you could try a replacement carb sold in the US by JCWhitney...it is a Solex unit designed to fit the L134/F134 Willys Jeep engines, because originals are hard to find or are very costly...they are sold for about $150.00USD...they are brand new and are better calibrated for performance and fuel mileage...remember that these engines have a long stroke ant are not "revvers" like modern fours...they only have three main bearings and long connecting rods, so keep the rpms at no more than 4,000....also, the stock exhaust is adequate for these engines...you could install a glasspack type silencer for a little less restriction, but this might not even be noticeable in performance gain...just more noise...you could try a low restriction air filter too...but keep all the original items to go back to standard if you wanted to...good luck.