Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cruising speed???

Cruising speed???

I have just finished restoring a 1960 CJ6 with the Hurricane F4 engine. I have it going into the garage for a tune up and service Wednesday. I am very disappointed with the road speed of the old Jeep. Top speed with full throttle is 70Klm/hr or for my American friends 45 miles/hr. The engine is in brand new restored condition, electronic ign. although not yet fully tested the timing with a timing light. My question is what cruising speed should I expect? Can anyone give me an idea of that? A CJ5 with the Hurricane F4 engine should be the same.

My 1965 CJ-5 with the 4-134 F engine runs about 45 to 50 mph tops. I'm not really sure what the hurricane should run.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy steve View Post
    I have just finished restoring a 1960 CJ6 with the Hurricane F4 engine. I have it going into the garage for a tune up and service Wednesday. I am very disappointed with the road speed of the old Jeep. Top speed with full throttle is 70Klm/hr or for my American friends 45 miles/hr. The engine is in brand new restored condition, electronic ign. although not yet fully tested the timing with a timing light. My question is what cruising speed should I expect? Can anyone give me an idea of that? A CJ5 with the Hurricane F4 engine should be the same.
    Most Jeeps in that time frame came with 5:38 gear ratio for a recommended 45 mph and with a 4:27 gear ratio option expect 50 mph tops.

That's about right for the cruising speed,Even with an over drive unit you are not going to get much more top end.

I have a 1960 cj5 with the 4 banger and 5.38 gears. it runs at about 55 tops but thats with 33" tires. Im going to order the over drive unit just for the extra gearing on the hwy.

Good news I did not know there was and overdrive unit available. Any leads on where?

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy steve View Post
    Good news I did not know there was and overdrive unit available. Any leads on where?
    look on Ebay, but they aren't cheap. expect to pay from $200.00 upwards to over $600.00 As dave44 said in his reply ,it will not get you much more speed. A friend had one in a 1971 CJ-5 V-6 with I believe 4:10 gears and I didn't see the cost of the unit for what little difference in road speed he got. I found out if you do 45 mph you will get to the same place as others doing 60 mph in about 10 minutes later ( say a 1 hr. drive. )
    Last edited by dauntless v-6; 10-10-2013 at 04:07 AM.

I believe that Kaiser Willys sells the overdrive units in their catalog...If you have really steep gears (5.38s), this OD unit probably won't give you the highway speed that you are looking for...For what an OD unit costs, you can swap your ring and pinion gears at both ends to get the speeds you want, say 4.27s or 4.10s with money left over...New ODs cost around $1300.00 !! Remember, the Willys four bangers, L134, and the F134 are LONG stroke engines...They are built for low speed "grunt", not high rpms like modern fours...Keep rpms down so that your engine lives to a ripe old age...Remember too that a short wheelbase jeep gets "squirrelly" at highway speeds over 60mph...And you only have 9" drums...panic stops at speed can be very interesting !...Just keep the old girl in the slow lane...Been there..done that.

Gear ratio calculator.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
    To bring you light for your car

So I have a STOCK 1959 Truck and I know it has the 6-226 Super Hurricane motor and a Dana 53 rear axle, the Dana 18 transfer case, the T-90 3 speed transmission. I do not know the official front axle it has, nor the gear ratio of the front or rear axles. However I was hoping that even with that limited information someone could still give me the rough speed and rpm that it would like to run at on the freeway/ highway? Everything else is stock as far as the wheels and the rest of the drive train is concerned. Thanks, much regards TGB59.