Thread: Hello from Michigan

Hello from Michigan

I just acquired a 1960 Willys CJ5 that was my fathers. He bought it in 1977.
    It has been at my parents cabin in the upper peninsula of Michigan since then.
    The body needs some work but the engine was rebuilt about 15 years ago. It was only used as a trial jeep.
    It has 36,000 original miles. He also bought and installed a fiberglass hard top from Sears a long time ago.
    I need to repair the brakes but other than that it’s road ready.
    My wife owns a 2001 TJ. We also have a 1953 CJ3B stored on the farm for now. Runs great
    any info or insight on the '60 would be great. What axles was standard with what gearing?
    It only does about 45-50 mph

2013101295124614.jpg
    Last edited by 60willys; 10-15-2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: adding a pic

Quote Originally Posted by 60willys View Post
    I just acquired a 1960 Willys CJ5 that was my fathers. He bought it in 1977.
    It has been at my parents cabin in the upper peninsula of Michigan since then.
    The body needs some work but the engine was rebuilt about 15 years ago. It was only used as a trial jeep.
    It has 36,000 original miles. He also bought and installed a fiberglass hard top from Sears a long time ago.
    I need to repair the brakes but other than that it’s road ready.
    My wife owns a 2001 TJ. We also have a 1953 CJ3B stored on the farm for now. Runs great
    any info or insight on the '60 would be great. What axles was standard with what gearing?
    It only does about 45-50 mph

2013101295124614.jpg
    The rear axle will be a Dana Model 44 with a front axle Dana Model 25 . Gear ratio will be 5:38.

The rear axle will be a Dana Model 44 with the front axle being a Dana Model 25 with 5:38 gear ratio.

Thanks, I thought so. explains the heavy gear sound when I let off the gas in low lock. I noticed the hand brake is long gone. is that hard to fix? I don't no if the guts are in the tranny anymore. isn't it just a set of shoes?

The gear noise is common in low range. It comes from the straight cut teeth on the low range gear. You will always have the whine in low range. The faster you go ,the higher the whine. The E- brake , the drum is on the back of transfer case. Pull the driveshaft and the flange and take it all off and clean it up. It will be full of grease and dirt. If you put in new shoes go ahead and replace the cable also.

[QUOTE=dauntless v-6;1923]The gear noise is common in low range. It comes from the straight cut teeth on the low range gear. You will always have the whine in low range. The faster you go ,the higher the whine. The E- brake , the drum is on the back of transfer case. Pull the driveshaft and the flange and take it all off and clean it up. It will be full of grease and dirt. If you put in new shoes go ahead and replace the cable also . Put a new oil seal on the transfer rear output shaft too. WD-40 The E- brake handle good also. it will be binded up from no use. Just spray it and keep working with it until it pull's out and in good.