Thread: Hello !! From texas !!! 1953 m38a1

Hello !! From texas !!! 1953 m38a1

Hello , my name is Bill, i'm from west Texas. I have a 1953 M38A1 Willys , just had it about 3 months now , have put some new parts on it and have just sent it off to body work and paint. This is a great site !! Have got a lot of info from post on here, THANKS !!! Here are a few pic before paint.

Welcome. What paint scheme are you going with?

Bill. Just got done painting a M-38. Went with forest green. It's a dark O.D.. Got it from Alan Haage in Medford . N.J. A gallon was $42.00 plus shipping. He carries AERVOE paint, both in spray can and gallons. Ph. # 609-953-1003. Hope this helps on your project.

Are you going for the full up military theme?

Thanks all for your post. I am going with the full military theme. The color is a OD Drab Green, no gloss, between a chalkboard and eggshell finish. Got the paint from Finishmasters, and the stencils from Rick at Military Stencils. The summer top and seats should be in Friday. The motor runs good , just a little oil leak. Small leak on the seal where
    the driveshaft goes to the back axel. On the transmission , everything is good but sometimes it pops out of 2nd gear when I let off the gas?? It has a 12v system, and it all works but looks bad and old and cracked . I have a new wiring harness but don't know if that's a task I can handle, I have all the ends labeled, any info on that would be great. Thanks All !!! Have a Blessed Day !!!
    Last edited by montell; 10-16-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Sounds like your clutch might be going on the tranny. Wiring harnesses are pretty straight forward as long as it’s labeled well. I usually do all my own wiring as purchasing a harness can get pricey. I would ensure you have all the right connections on your new harness prior to installing it. Just do a one to one comparison and make sure they jive. You could also do a resistance check on all the connections which may identify a break somewhere before everything is installed. The extra 10 minutes can save you a lot of time and frustration down the road.

Looks really clean, very little body work to do. nice

Nice find...good condition for its age...if it pops out of gear when letting up on the gas, the synchros inside the trans are going to need replacement...no imminent doom here...it'll go a long time like this and just hold it in gear if repairing it is not happening soon...when you drop the trans, you should get the T90 overhaul kit from KWAS and make it like new...as far as the wiring harness goes, it's not that bad at all...I just rewired my 56 CJ with a new harness and it took only a single weekend...and that was really easy to do...I kept mine six volts because it worked fine when I bought it earlier this year, but it too was a mess...just give it a go and read the instructions, take your time and you'll feel good that you did it yourself.