Thread: 1957 cj5

1957 cj5

Greetings all! Although this is my 3rd Jeep to own, it is my first Willys and I love it. It is Presidential Red and runs great with the original motor and transmission. The body shows it's age, but no major dents or dings. I am about to replace the shocks and springs since it still has the originals of both (they're a bit tired you might say). The PO added a new Bestop softtop and seats, and put in a smaller steering wheel. But all in all, she's a beauty.

Since I've only owned "modern" Jeeps up to this point, I would love any advice on maintenance/upkeep. I plan on buying an owners manual and service manual, but I'd still love to hear from someone with more experience.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by CJamieD View Post
    Greetings all! Although this is my 3rd Jeep to own, it is my first Willys and I love it. It is Presidential Red and runs great with the original motor and transmission. The body shows it's age, but no major dents or dings. I am about to replace the shocks and springs since it still has the originals of both (they're a bit tired you might say). The PO added a new Bestop softtop and seats, and put in a smaller steering wheel. But all in all, she's a beauty.

Since I've only owned "modern" Jeeps up to this point, I would love any advice on maintenance/upkeep. I plan on buying an owners manual and service manual, but I'd still love to hear from someone with more experience.
    Go buy a grease gun and get the 12" rubber extension. The steering gear itself will have 7 zerks, front and rear driveshaft will have 3 each. On the center floor section on passenger side will be a plate, loosen the bolts and grease the transfer levers. The U-joints when you hear them taking grease stop, it keeps the underneath a little cleaner from the shaft slinging grease.With the steering gear a little over grease is fine. Remember the grease worms work 24 hr's a day. With the age of the Jeep you should change the gear lube, it's cheap compared to a rebuild. Put new steering knuckle seals on and run 90 WT. gear lube in them. They probably have grease in them but I have found that both of them make a good lube for the front axle shaft. Had my first Willys back in 1969. On the vacuum wipers spray some WD-40 in them. They should work pretty good after a few times of that.
    Last edited by dauntless v-6; 10-30-2013 at 02:52 PM.

Awesome advice, and exactly what I'm looking for! Sounds like I might want to get some gloves and a pair of coveralls as well. But more than anything... sounds like fun. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CJamieD View Post
    Awesome advice, and exactly what I'm looking for! Sounds like I might want to get some gloves and a pair of coveralls as well. But more than anything... sounds like fun. Thanks!
    I also would recommend a Pertronix ignition system. O'Reilys carries them. Been running one with the Flamethrower coil.Haven't touched the ignition system for over 10 years now. It was a good investment . You can set a wider plug gap. I set mine at 50 but I believe they say up to 60 ths. When you change the oil go with a WIX filter. That's what the Military uses. Again O'Reilys carries them also. Fram used to be good until they sold out to a foreign Co. Napa had a commercial on TV with a cut away of a Fram and their filter and what difference. Next choice is Napa.

More great information! Thanks dauntless. Keep it coming, this are exactly the type of things I need to know.

[QUOTE=CJamieD;1951]More great information! Thanks dauntless. Keep it coming, this are exactly the type of things I need to know. Remembered the type plug wires I used. From NAPA, life time guarantee.. , Beldon.

Remembered type plug wires ,from NAPA Beldon-- life time guarantee.