Thread: 1958 Pickup Restoration

Talking 1958 Pickup Restoration

I'm excited! I got my 1958 Willys Pickup June 2013. The body is in fairly good shape for how long it's been sitting.

It has definitely been ridden hard, and put away wet. Everything is just barely working. It will be a long road of restoration ahead, but I'm enjoying it!

I plan to restore it, but not to showroom quality. I want to use it, and have fun driving it around off the pavement. It does need a new paint job eventually, but that will be a while.
    Attached Images Attached Images

First thing, the brakes. I pretty much have to replace the entire brake system. It leaks fluid so bad that it leaves drips all over the pavement. The front wheel is so coated in fluid that it isn't even acting like a brake.

The brakes are REALLY dirty. There were all kinds of old spider nests, dirt, and crud crusted everywhere. The drums are so grooved that I'm surprised I could stop at all. It is taking a lot of scrubbing to clean up the brakes. At least the bearings looked really good. That's the only thing in excellent shape so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good luck with your rebuild. I am working a 48 pickup. Have the same problems with the brakes. Do you plan on upgrading your fronts?

I plan to restore to original as I can, so I'm keeping the drum brakes on the front.

If you keep it original drums are fine but if you upgrade the engine I would highly recommend you go with some better brakes. BTW I think your truck looks awesome as it is with the petina it has on it.

I get a lot of comments on the patina. I do plan to repaint it eventually since I need to do some body work (stress cracks, rust repair, fill holes, etc.). Would like to paint it the original green, with black fenders for a nice two-tone. Still a long way from that point.

Got the brakes all put back together, lines bled, and the shoes adjusted. Took it out for a spin (in 7 degree F weather, brr) and they work! It is so exciting to have phase one completed!

Found out in the middle of rebuilding the brakes that a part was missing for the emergency brakes. The metal bar that goes between the shoes was gone on both wheels. Had to pirate some off another axel I had, but got it put back right.

The next step will be rebuilding the engine. It has the 6-226 with the high altitude 7.3 to 1 compression ratio (bright red block, well, it used to be bright). It gets a really bad knock when the engine heats up. The former owner said that he thinks one of the wrist pins is going out. I can't drive it more than a few miles at a time right now . I hope I can get that done before summer so I can cruise around a bit. Having a blast so far!
    Last edited by Jackalope; 02-18-2014 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1948 Cal Willys Pickup View Post
    BTW I think your truck looks awesome as it is with the petina it has on it.
    Looks awesome, All the best with the restoration