Thread: Hello, I am new to the forum and the new owner of a 1962 M38A1.

Hybrid View

Great plan on going back to original on the fuel set up. I'm fairly certain that the A1s kept the vacuum wipers throughout the service run, so the original style of double acting fuel pump/vacuum pump will look and function properly.

The brake going to the floor is a common issue, with a not so popular solution. Invest the funds and buy all brake parts new. From the master cylinder, lines, soft lines, and wheel cylinders. The second bit of advice is to purchase American made pieces. This will save you time and headaches by preventing fitment issues. I have heard that Crown has improved its quality of brake components, but I would still stick with domestic made Wagoner products.

Hi,
    So far I've gotten most of my parts from KaiserWillys.com. Parts have been good so far. I have gotten some parts from O'Riely's, but I haven't even begun the brakes yet. I am gonna finish the fuel pump and lines first. I want to have it running by Memorial Day, but who knows. I got the M38A1 so cheap, I don't mind putting some $$ in it.

If the Brakes Don't Stop It ...

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Invest the funds and buy all brake parts new.
    I second that notion. I never knew that the '48 could stop so well until I did the restoration and redid the brakes - and I've been driving it for over 60 years.

Folks spend a lot of time to get their Jeep to run and look good, but there are times where there is a temptation to cut corners on brakes. You can't see the corrosion in the brake lines. The pitted wheel cylinders leak, just a little but they never get better. Brake drums may have been turned to their limit and then a bit more.

Remember that phone commercial about things being "Good Enough"; "If the brakes don't stop it, something else will"? Not a good situation.