Thread: Ham's 48: Timken Rear Axle Question

Hybrid View

That's it. Thank you Sir.

Drive Shaft Discovery

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    That's it. Thank you Sir.
    When we're just shootin' the breeze, it's just as easy to tag onto the last post as it is to try to start another string.

I've griped about the ball and trunnion u-joints forever. I think it was GMWillys who pointed me to a place that talked about rebuilding the PTO shaft on a CJ-2A. The PTO shaft uses the ball and trunnion joints and I found place that sells everything I will ever need to keep them going.

I took the shafts up to the shop yesterday and with the quarantine, it was a slow day. Heath ,the guy who hauled the truck up to Toledo last year was sitting at the desk, his dad (an old coot like us who has an M38A1 like he worked on in Korea in 1963) was smoking a cigarette (!!!!!) and one of the local farmers were sitting while everyone solved problems.

When I brought in the shafts, Dad got this look in his eye and started to tell us everything about them. I had found the right place again. "Yeah, they used these on the old Dodge farm trucks. You pull this back and you slip this over this collar and .....". By the time I left, he had the first end off the long shaft. He was bored too.

I told Heath "You owe me on this one. You don't have to entertain your Dad all afternoon."

From GMWillys' discovery of how to rebuild those joints, the gentleman who posted it noted that there were 28 needle bearings in the donut on each side of the cross pin. When Dad took it apart, each side of the joint was one needle short of a full pack. He also commented "That pin is really in there tight". . Yeah. I knew there was no way I would get it out without a press.

The long shaft is done; we're waiting for the boot I forgot to order to finish the short shaft. Then, just 15 bolts and we're ready to rock - again!

Of course one of those 15 is just about inacessible once you have the emergency brake rigging on the truck.
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 04-30-2020 at 05:04 PM.