Thread: 1946 CJ-2A Slightly Above Stock

Hybrid View

There was a multi purpose remnant of a piece of round stock laying on the floor for years. If the detents rust up, and the shafts get globed up with crud, the bar goes in to "assist" the changing of the selectors. They are clean now, and work very well, but once upon a time in history, they must have not moved so easily. The pin clearance is another possibility I didn't really think about. I've gotten so used to pulling the body off on other projects that needed transfer case help. There is just enough room to slide the shifters through the floor when raising the body.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    There was a multi purpose remnant of a piece of round stock laying on the floor for years. If the detents rust up, and the shafts get globed up with crud, the bar goes in to "assist" the changing of the selectors. They are clean now, and work very well, but once upon a time in history, they must have not moved so easily. The pin clearance is another possibility I didn't really think about. I've gotten so used to pulling the body off on other projects that needed transfer case help. There is just enough room to slide the shifters through the floor when raising the body.
    Wanna hear something about that GM, I went to loosen up the set screw to pull the pin out so I could get the levers out when I dropped everything to the floor and the set screw was twisted off in the hole, that's when I got out the bucket and was beside myself thinking I was going to have to raise the body up enough to clear the levers. Well after a couple Winston's and 2-3 Heinekens I got the sawzall out and made really short shift levers and said piss on it I will fix them when I getter all out on the floor.
    Needless to say when you go to glue them back together you have to braze them bc they are cast, got it back together finally.