Thread: The Frankenjeep

Hybrid View

Given the amount of time I had invested in replacing the bushing in the transfer case output shaft and lack of progress because of it… I chose to order a new shaft. It came with a new bushing installed but only measures 0.622. The front output shaft slides in with just a hint of dragging through the bushing. I ordered a 0.628 reamer this morning but now I wonder if there a spec for the difference between the bushing ID and the front shaft OD?
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

The shaft O.D. should be .625". The bushing clearance spec is .0017" to .005", and .005" is loose and considered worn out. The bushing by design has a range of .0017" to .0035". I think .003" is as far as I would like on a new one. It will be really hard to measure the bore exactly without a plug gauge. If it fits together and turns smoothly without any wobble, that's as good as you can do without being dead sure on the I.D. with a plug gauge. If it fits together and the shaft is .625" but its a little tight, you may want to polish the bushing. A new reamer may cut a little oversize. It might just be a poor reaming cut. A bit of polishing with #400 emery cloth might do it. I bet its good.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 11-21-2022 at 07:38 PM.