Thread: My first vehicle! 1956 CJ5

Hybrid View

Update on the knocking

So over the last few weeks i reassembled the oil pan after confiriming the bearings/ wrist pins are good. I then set valve lash and finised putting covers back on. I got fresh oil and rebuilt the distributor. Then put on new plugs and wires. And retorqued head bolts(3 were probably 5-10 lbs lose). With the plugs out i turned it over with the starter to try to blow carbon chunks out. And also prime oil pump. It was then time to fire it up. Started easily and sounded good so I took it out and cruised 35-40 mph for over 4 miles. And a few more miles the other day. The entire time never knocked or had any weird noises and just purred along perfectly. After getting back from the 4 miles I took of the rubber hose on the valve cover off and there was no steam (normally it would smoke for a minute after shutting it off). Retorquing the head bolts probably helped. The oil is still nice and clean and didnt even leak. Was definitly running smoother with the new ignition system.
    It's a happy Jeep.

That's about as good of a situation as you could ask for! Interesting the head stud nuts were that loose.