Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
Mike, all Dana axles were marked with a Bill of Material and a serial number. They can be very, very difficult to find on a heavily rusted axle but, they are always there. Sometimes forensic techniques are needed to see them. They were stamped in by hand on the assembly line. I have used varying ways to uncover them. Most people give up too early. The numbers are always there and always very hard to see. A thorough cleaning and carefully polishing of the area where the numbers should be usually reveals the indentations. If you are successful in finding the numbers, I can tell you what parts were used to build the entire assembly, when it was built and for what customer.
Wow! Great info for sure! I will do some digging. I am certain at least my front axle is war time given the fact that it has the bell crank attached. The rear looks original to the Jeep as well as near as I can tell so far.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
Dr. Dana has the answers for sure!

The nylon abrasive brushes from Horrible Freight that I brag on constantly will clean up the surface of the axle tube without disturbing the metal displaced by the stamping of the BOM and serial numbers.
I’ll look into those. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
With a shop that nostalgic - you need a Bull of the Woods calendar...
I had to look up what that was and yes I think you’re right!

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
Awesome suggestion gm! I have not tried those. I think they would be perfect. As you search for the numbers, keep in mind they are about an 1/8" high.
Got it. Thanks!