Thread: Hodakaguy M38 - Pics and Misc Thread.

Hybrid View

Continued From Above..

The engine starts and runs smoothly now with no smoking. Power/ acceleration is a bit lower than I would expect but I haven't tuned the carb yet, checked timing, valves etc...I'll be doing that soon.
    I wish I would have measured the metering rod to verify the kit came with the correct rod for the M38 and not the M38A1, I may end up pulling it back out to double check.

Took a drive around the block with the kiddo and put it back to bed till the weekend.

More to come...

Hodakaguy

Continued from above....

Removing the old seal, it's screwed onto the bottom of the windshield frame. Removal is easy and quick.

Houston we have a problem. The new seal is shaped a bit different and the holes dont quite line up with the old seal. Hmmmm.....not sure now which seal is correct for the M38. I re-installed the old seal for now until I verify.

Since the weather was so nice we decided to take the Jeep for a quick spin to the fuel station and back. Before we left I did a quick check of the timing....it was way to far advanced. The adjusting nut on the distributer was pretty loose so it probably moved on its own. With the timing set we gave everything a look over and found/tightened several other loose bolts.

And we're off. The timing made a big difference, engine is running a lot better now and has the pep I expected (it was low on pep when I test drove it around the block after the carb rebuild). We decided to run with the windshield down this trip. Fun stuff!

Continued below...

Continued from above...

After getting fuel we drove around to a few yard sales....so much fun.

Continued below...
    Last edited by Hodakaguy; 05-18-2024 at 07:26 AM.

Continued from above...

Continued below...
    Last edited by Hodakaguy; 05-18-2024 at 07:26 AM.

Continued from above...

Back at the house and time to get a bit more work done. Our jeep came with a decontamination unit but the previous owner had it just laying loose under the passenger seat...rolling around loose probably isn't the best idea. There are wooden blocks attached to the body just ahead of the tool box lid, these were installed at the factory specifixally to mount the decontamination unit.

Passenger seat removed, you can see the wooden blocks In this Pic.

Here I'm cutting a rubber piece to install between the Decon mount and body.

Continued belpw....

Continued from above...

If you ever want to drill holes in rubber use a piece of tubing in a drill. Unlike a drill bit a piece of tubing leaves a nice clean hole. Use a bit of water as lubricant as you drill the hole.

Continued below...

Continued from above...

And mounted up. I placed the unit as far back as I could while still allowing the tool box lid to open freely. I'll remove the setup.amd paint the mounting bracket OD soon.

Hodakaguy

Super nice Job Hdk! You are not the first to experience the poor fitting windshield seal. I was not able to find a real good fit. I tried a few different suppliers. It seems like there are only two manufactures. None of the ones I received fit well without modifications.