Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1954 CJ3B - Project

I would try gm's suggestion with mineral spirits. You have to be careful you don't dry the material up and cause it to crack. Removing the dye or color could prove to be difficult. Depending on what was used to color the upholstery, it could be dye or actual paint. I would call or email one of the Upholstery color manufactures like SEM and ask them what they think. I believe your best bet will be to re-dye them another color right over the top f the old color.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 05-30-2024 at 03:22 PM.

Today, I put a socket on the crank bolt and was very happy when it turned with almost no effort. Then it just stopped! I then went counterclockwise and it stopped. I turned it back and forth several times and each time it stopped at certain point. I put just a little pressure with a half inch ratchet when I stopped in either direction, but it is a solid stop. I then marked the socket and it would make a full rotation and on the second rotation it would stop at 11 o’clock. Any suggestions?

AJ-MJ, assuming you have an F-Head in the 3B, it sounds like a valve is stuck open. Pull the valve cover and look for a valve that is stuck down or a broken valve spring that is allowing a valve to drop. It could also be a chunk of carbon in the cylinder. If it is a valve stuck down you don't want to force it. If all looks good with the valves, Pull the plugs and check the electrodes for physical damage.

For various reasons cam timing could be so far off a valve is open at the wrong time or, the cam chain or gear is broken and the valves are not moving out of the way. Let us know what you find.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 05-30-2024 at 04:34 PM.

I poured a quart plus of ATF in the spark plug holes. I plan to let it sit over the week end. Sunday or Monday I will cut the fan belt off and remove the starter and generator (just for good measure). Then I will follow your suggestion. When you said valve cover are you saying the the cover on the top of the engine or the exhaust valve on the side of the engine.

The cover on the top. You have 4 overhead intake valves on the F-Head and 4 in the block exhaust valves. When you pull the top cover you will be able to see the valve stems and springs. As you rotate the engine you should see the intake valves go up and down. If they are moving, look for one that is not fully closing.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 05-30-2024 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    The cover on the top. You have 4 overhead intake valves on the F-Head and 4 in the block exhaust valves. When you pull the top cover you will be able to see the valve stems and springs. As you rotate the engine you should see the intake valves go up and down. If they are moving, look for one that is not fully closing.
    THANKS SO MUCH!!! I pulled the cover off and sprayed penetrating oil on the springs and let is soak down the stems. I did not try to turn the engine to see the valves moving. BUT I did pull the Service Manual and I see exactly what you are saying. Thanks Again!

You are indeed a wise man to take things slowly and cautiously.

The little 134 CID engines can, in most cases, be turned over by hand with just the tension of the fan belt and turning the fan. When Bubba puts the socket and the breaker bar on the crank bolt and decides; "I'll move that sucker", internal damage is the usual result.

Take your time and find out what's stuck - with luck it can be fixed pretty easily.

Keep us informed as to what's going on.
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 06-02-2024 at 07:29 PM.

GOOD NEWS!!! The engine is not seized up! WOOHOO!
    I am only turning the crank bolt with a 1/2" ratchet so not to put too much pressure on it. Today when I turned the engine the stop was not as solid of a stop. If that makes sense? I Put a little pressure and it moved just a little. I went counterclockwise and did the same thing. After several back and forth I got past the stopping point. I have made a lot of revolutions and it is still tight but will spin with the ratchet.

Sounds like progress AJ-MJ!

Yep, sounds like you had a rust ridge on one cylinder, but with your ATF in the cylinder, it has cleaned up enough to pass by it. That hopefully will be your biggest hurdle to cross.