Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F134 Distributor Decision?

F134 Distributor Decision?

Getting close to installing distributor on this F134 rebuild. I have a standard setup with points, but have read good things on the Pertronix mod as well. Also, Kaiser Willys sells an electronic ignition assy version. What is the difference in modifying to Pertronix vs just going with the electronic version if any? Link below on a Solid State unit.

Thanks!

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/product...-4-134-engine/

JW I don't often do this but... Do not buy the complete electronic distributor, from anyone. They are all a Chinese manufacture that seldom works. I have the Pertronix, and I have used their conversions on a variety of engines with great success. The points work well if you take the time to make sure the distributor is in good working order. The Pertronix allows the quick conversion back and forth. You can quickly change from electronic to points with a screwdriver. What ever you chose to do with the old distributor be sure the advance mechanism is working smoothly and the shaft and bushings are tight. Slop in the shaft will allow the dwell on the points to change. Worn advance mechanisms are almost always prevalent in these. They will catch or not function and cause timing headaches.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...gnition-Issues
    Last edited by bmorgil; 06-10-2024 at 07:40 AM.

I completely agree with Bmorgil on his advice. I'm a points guy, but he has been running the Petronix for a while with no issue. The fact that you can carry an extra set of points as an emergency backup is what would have me sold on the set up.

Thanks Guys! I will check out my dist. condition and go from there. Taking it slow and asking questions so as to maybe avoid issues down the road.

Your welcome JW! Same way I approach it that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JW1954WAGON View Post
    Taking it slow and asking questions so as to maybe avoid issues down the road.
    Thats the right way for sure! Don't be like me and rush into things trying to completely reconstruct something in 3 months!!

I'm definetely a points guy, maybe because i like prserving history (and dont understand how fancy electronics work) but for the most part points work fine. Especially for how few miles most of our willys jeeps get, a set of points will last a long time. I agree with Bm that the advanvce and how you tune it up will mostly be more important. However the years of trouble free running with no maintence is really nice with electronic ign. But go with pertronix, not some rendom china thingy. And for how cheap points are, maybe buy a set and through in the glove box. all it takes is ascrewdriver and a folded dollar bill and you can swap them out in case of an issue. Save yourself a towing bill! I would recommend getting the pertronix gen 2 or 3, ive had issues with the original. The newer models have a lot better reputation.

The PerTronix kit has worked well for many people in many different applications. They have been around a long time. I don't know where you had trouble 56', but I have not heard of or had any trouble with any of the models. I did have to "fit" mine a bit. The trigger coil needed a little more clearance under the rotor where it was rubbing. I have installed them on Tractors, Boats, Cars and Industrial equipment. I have never had one fail. The "Ignitor Series" is a simple replacement for points and is a magnetic trigger only. The "Ignitor II" Offers a dwell extender circuit to amplify ignition spark. The Ignitor III offers Dwell extending plus a Rev Limiter for you racers who want a rev limited high performance ignition. On the Willys/Jeep 134, the "Ignitor series" is all you will need. All that said, their web site leaves a lot to be desired. You wont find your parts unless you download the catalog. Here are the part numbers.

https://pertronixbrands.com/cdn/shop...33592434276257

https://pertronixbrands.com/

JEEP------------------------------------------------------------- Ignitor------------------------ Ignitor II-------------Ignitor III
    1960-71 4 All models Prestolite IAY-4401 ---------------------1548-------------------------- 91548
    1959-60 4 All models Delco 1110225 ------------------------- 1144A ------------------------ 91144A
    1940-59 4 All models Autolite IAD-4008 ---------------------- 2541 --------------------------92541
    1966-74 6 All models Delco ----------------------------------- 1162A ------------------------ 91162A
    1967-69 6 All models Delco 1110376------------------------- 1165
    1960-65 6 All models Auto/Prestolite IAT-4416, IAT-4404 ---2561 ---------------------------92561
    1966-74 8 All models Delco ------------------------------------1181--------------------------- 91181----------------- 71181

WILLYS
    1933-50 4 All models Autolite IGB, IGW ----------------------1545---------------------------91545
    1951 4 All models Autolite IGC Series -------------------------2541---------------------------92541
    1940-48 6 All models Autolite IGC Series -------------------- 1567A -------------------------91567A
    1954 6 All models Autolite IAT Series------------------------- 1569 -------------------------- 91569
    Last edited by bmorgil; 06-06-2024 at 06:30 AM.

Great info Bmorgil.

Agree, good info on this topic! Thanks again! And to add to this thread, if you're not having to rework sometimes, probably not working on your jeep either right?

I hear that JW!