Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: '46 CJ2A Parts Runner

One of the "What is that?" questions I get when folks look over the '48 is a question about that little pedal in the middle of the firewall with the spring wrapped around it.

I tell people you need five feet to drive an old Jeep; one for the dimmer, one for the clutch, one for the brake, another for the accelerator and then one for the starter.

Then comes that "You're kidding me, right" look .....

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    One of the "What is that?" questions I get when folks look over the '48 is a question about that little pedal in the middle of the firewall with the spring wrapped around it.

I tell people you need five feet to drive an old Jeep; one for the dimmer, one for the clutch, one for the brake, another for the accelerator and then one for the starter.

Then comes that "You're kidding me, right" look .....
    You are reminding me of your comment about "If you want to confuse, write it in cursive"! How many today would have any idea what a foot starter is or, what the extra pedal next to the brake is for. Perhaps a foot rest for your left foot? I know for sure there are Very few who know what the extra lever on the steering column of a Model "A" is for!

True, it is definitely a security feature. I'll probably keep it in the 3A configuration since the starter was just gone through. It was a learning experience for me that the MB and the 2A didn't have the linkage, but rather the momentary switch mounted to the through the fire wall. Since the current configuration of the Heep has been that way forever, I didn't think anything about it until after receiving a new starter. A little detail like the proper foot starter button vs a pedal wouldn't catch many eyes.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 05-29-2024 at 11:49 PM.

I broke down and purchased a new fuel tank and installed it yesterday. It was a crown tank, and it almost fit perfectly. The drain fit in the hole in the floor, but the fuel line port was off by about half a hole. The original tank is pretty clean, but I think the stand pipe has crud in it causing fuel delivery issues. I'll hand on to it and see if I can get it hot tanked and cleaned up.

I also worked on the voltage regulator to adjust it up a scosh. It's charging 8.9 volts, but the amps on the gauge are a bit high now at high idle. I'll play with it a bit more today.

The girls and I are heading out this morning to go on our annual Veterans benefit weekend ride. Th More photos to follow!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 06-07-2024 at 05:22 AM.

I had similar issues with my Crown tank. On mine the hole in the floor was off and the spout was off. It could have been my Tub or, the Tank. The spout is easy to adjust. I used a large piece of PVC in the spout and while I held the tank down, I bent the spout to fit. The spout bends fairly easily into the right position

I believe it was a little bit of everything throwing off the fitment of the tank. I'm sure my tub isn't purely square, plus the tank being close enough without being exact... The good thing was that I spend the bit extra for the better copper float fuel gage, at it works perfectly. I'm not going to know how to act not having to dip the tank to see how much is in there.

Some photos of last weekend. Everything went extremely well. The Heep was charging perfectly and ran well to match. I'm waiting for the guy to post videos on YouTube of the trail rides we went on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That baby is solid gm! It appears your girls approve. It is great you have a perfectly working 6 volt system. That is definitely getting more and more rare. It sounds like your electric re-builder is all over it.

Nothing makes a muddy Heep look better than a couple of girls having fun!

Good to see your ol' Jeep out and about, GM! What size tires are you running on that? Just wondering...