Thread: 12 Vots system to 6 Volt Gauges

12 Vots system to 6 Volt Gauges

Guys: I getting ready to start the wiring process for my twin stick PTO Willys stake bed truck project. It is equipped with a front Koenig Winch and a rear belt drum pulley. The motor is a F134 from a 1966 CJ5 that has the 12 volt starter, coil, etc. where the truck cab is a 1948 4T truck with the rectangular gauge cluster, which are all 6 volts. I replaced the sending units for the fuel gauge, oil pressure gauge, and the water temperature gauge, and I have a 12 volt to 6 volt step down device. The way I see this is the motor, regulator, starter, and all the lights and horn will be on the 12 volt system, but the three gauges mentioned will operate on 6 volts. My question is, it is my understanding that the AMP gauge is not volts dependent, so I can run the 12 volt system through the existing Amp gauge and step the voltage down from there to the remailing gauges? If this is so, the only change to the wiring harness is to go from the Amp gauge to the voltage step down device from the same point as I send the 12 volts to the coil, voltage regulator, horn, and the light switch, and the forth poll of the ignition switch to the starter. Then I simply run a wire from the step down device to the 3 volt dependent gauges. Any thought about this approach? Thanks as always for the informed input.

IMG_5172.jpgIMG_5176.jpgIMG_5175.jpg

Amps are Amps. The gauge will read the amperage for what ever voltage is there. Usually everything but the starter goes through the Amp gauge. The main power wire to the system should go to the Amp gauge first. From there all the power drawn goes through the Amp gauge. I think this is how you are setting it up. LarrBeard will help out here if he spots this thread.