Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: ***My 1944 GPW/1945 MB (Sympathetic) Restoration!***

Great videos! You have her dialed in perfect MP. I absolutely agree with Bmorgil on the loss of a hat. I went into town a few weeks back and had the windshield down. I made it about 500 ft from the ranch and off went the hat. Being that it was in a mossy oak pattern, it belongs to the armadillos now.

YES! Way to go.

I love that classic sound the clutch makes when you shifted to second! Almost as sweet as the lifters quietly ticking away. I just love making the shifts and listening to it all. You are right on top of everything with nothing to block the sound. You don't get to experience that very often. You can hear everything working.

Haha! I need a chinstrap for my hat!! I lose it when I drive my Model A roadster too, ha! I should have worn my army helmet though it’s a little big!

Man, what a fun little buggy. And you’re right bmorgil, the sounds are like music!

I forgot to add that I put new shocks all the way around and did the smart thing for once in my life and bought a beautiful original style cloth covered wiring kit that has amazing color coded drawings from which to work. I’ve done most of the chassis wiring and under dash stuff though I’m just running a hot wire to the coil at this point as I need to get an ignition switch and some other things.

There is not many drivetrains that create a more beautiful note than a Willys 134, outside of a Merlin V12 or Pratt and Whitney radial airplane engine at speed.

The reproduction wiring harnesses are extremely nice. I didn't purchase one for the Heep, but if I need to re-do mine in the future, I will sure go that route. I had a neighbor that worked at a coal fired power plant, and he brought me a large spool of six wire loomed wiring harness. Each wire is wrapped with Nomex color keyed cloth, so it's fire resistant. I had used the majority of the wire for race and derby cars, where fire and high heat is always a possibility. I used the remainder of the hoard for the Willys. After twelve years of service, the wire is holding up well, especially when using 3M solderless heat shrink connectors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't notice it too much when I'm just going down the road, but when I get the '48 alongside a concrete barrier or divider, I notice that that little F-134 with a stock Willys muffler does make an impressive snarly sound I don't expect from that little engine.

It's true that the 134 is no slouch in the angry tone department, especially with a well burned-out glass pack. The 255 c.i. four cylinder in the Wrangler follows the same blood line and produces descent power at mid RPM. I picked up a Flow Master free flowing muffler to replace the tin can that's one there now. Hopefully it won't get too annoying with a drone at speed.

I love the look of having the old cloth wiring, sometimes makes me wish i had kept 6 volt, but the 12 is nice for having accessories. So that noise when you disengage the clutch is normal. I just started picking it up among the other noises and was wondering if it was a problem. I still need to get used to old gears and nothing to block the noise!

I just put a supertrap on Flossy, which makes it sound pretty cool. I'll have to get some video of it to post. Its unique!

Mike, you project is coming along superbly, running through the yard is only a short step away from cruising it down the road!!

'56, if you are getting a bit of noise with the clutch pushed in, then your throw out sealed bearing is going dry. When you tear into the rear main seal, add that to your list of items to tackle, since you'll be there anyway.

The little Go Devil is running great! I took it up and down the road a few times Sunday as we had some unseasonably nice weather! It’s running in the 180 degree range which I guess is ok given there’s no grille or anything directing all the air through the radiator?

Here some of the wiring so far. I think I’ve finally decided to just keep it 6V as I have new 6V battery and I recently got an original voltage regulator. I don’t have the charging system hooked up yet. Still researching about “B” circuits and stuff. I did a quick test of output on my generator and it’s doing something? But not sure what. My good meter is at work and I’m home with Covid…
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike P; 08-13-2024 at 08:45 AM.