Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: ***My 1944 GPW/1945 MB (Sympathetic) Restoration!***

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    '56, if you are getting a bit of noise with the clutch pushed in, then your throw out sealed bearing is going dry. When you tear into the rear main seal, add that to your list of items to tackle, since you'll be there anyway.
    We were referring to the "rattle" of the clutch disc against the dampening springs gm. You can hear it in Mike's video when he disengages the clutch for the shift. If you listen real close it sounds like a turbo dump when he backs off and releases the clutch. You can barley hear it. It sounds just like mine. I agree if you get a scrapping or growl when you just touch the clutch pedal and remove the free-play, you have a suspect throw out bearing.

Mike 180 is great. It probably has a 165 thermostat. With no fan shroud, they get a little hotter at idle. Mine cruises at just under 180. If you can keep an original 6 volt system in it, why not! That is as original as it gets. gmwillys runs his like a daily driver with a 6Volt system.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 08-13-2024 at 09:14 AM.

I'm tracking now Bmorgil on the clutch disengagement.

Six volts works good for me. I just had our generator tuned up, (sealed bearings and checked over) and everything is dialed in as far as Amp and voltage outputs. The worst thing about a six volt battery is that they don't seem to last but a couple years if you don't run the Jeep every couple of weeks. Maybe a battery tender would extend the life, since it would be constantly float voltage to the battery to keep it charged when not driving.

I've had really good luck with the 6-volt battery in the '48.

It often sits for a month at a time over the winter and I just realized that the battery is close to six years old.

A couple of weeks ago the truck took a cold collared spell and I had to crank it "for a long time" to get it interested in going somewhere and the battery just kept it 'ginnin over until it caught.

The generator did pin the ammeter at 50 for a while - I don't think I have ever seen it charge that hard for that long.

Six volt systems started jeeps in the arctic and the Sahara, but you do need to pay attention to clamps and cables. There are LOTS of amps running around in there on cold start days.

I believe I'm just hard on batteries. Since the Heep spends a lot of time bouncing down the trail, the battery tends to get dead cells from the shock loads it takes. I looked at the Optima 6 volt or other Absorbed Glass Mat batteries, but they look goofy under the hood being their size. Yes, it could be mounted on its side, and it would look a bit better. The Optima is the cheapest at $250, while the other brands out there are way more spendy and they are bigger than the automotive battery I run now.

gm is there a Marine Deep Cycle battery available? They usually have significantly more "structure" internally for the pounding a boat takes.

Maybe something like this? https://thebatterydude.com/6-volt-23...-acid-battery/

A bit pricey, but it sure looks like a good batt. I do see it is "Made in Vietnam".
    Last edited by bmorgil; 08-16-2024 at 08:26 AM.

Almost all of the deep cycles are taller than the automotive batteries. If I get serious about it, then I will purchase the Optima and box it in for safety, then use the automotive battery for show. Then purchase a battery tender to keep all maintained when not in use. Outside of a few specialty and mainstream manufactures, all lead acid batteries in the world are made by eleven companies, and there are very few on our shores. Interstate batteries only offer a six-month warranty, where Wally World will do up to a year replacement and prorated up to three years.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 08-16-2024 at 11:19 PM.

I bought a little battery tender from Napa when I first got the battery for the test stand and it seems to be doing well. I don’t have a charging system yet but it’s been good for jaunts around the neighborhood so far. Nothing is hooked up other than the hot wire for the coil at this point. I’ve put a few more bits together while I try to find some more money to throw at this thing to “complete” it!

It sure is fun! I keep trying to remember to take pics that will post correctly on this forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images

We are currently in Chichester, England at the Goodwood Revival enjoying some vintage racing. There is also an amazing array of WW2 vehicles! More pics later!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Far out Mike! Vintage racing is very cool. It looks like you are stepping back in time in England!

Great photo Mike! I hope you had a great trip!
    The Goodwood festival of speed is an awesome event for sure. With the IROC series being reborn this year, and a few other organizations gaining traction on putting on events for vintage race cars in the U.S., hopefully there will be more events to go to watch. I would hope that Barber Motorsports Park would host some more events in the coming years. I know in a couple of weeks the GT sportscar series will be there, and in October the Barber Vintage motorcycle festival will be up and running.

https://www.barbermuseum.org/barber-motorsports-park/