Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast

Thread: 1st Time Jeep Owner

I have to agree with you on the sliding windows. I've been looking for a long time for an affordable yet not rotten to a pile International Scout 80. The first two model years had sliding windows instead of roll-up windows. The following years had roll up windows, and to me are much more desirable just for the reasons you stated. Our YJ Wrangler has the full soft top and doors, and the zip up windows are a pain, but used hard doors are outrageous in price, plus the soft top for the soft doors will not fit the hard doors, so then you have to find or purchase a new top. For the short amount of time the top is needed in the South, I'll just put up with the zip up windows until a good deal comes around.

Ironically, my first 4x4 was an 1968 International Scout! Wrenched on that thing for my first few years, made my own "Spring over axle" lift kit. Even located and purchased one of the rare Fiberglass Sport tops for it. Rolled it over one snowy morning driving to work, that was around 1985. Window regulators were also an issue on those vehicles. Seem to remember the steering was incredible slow & sloppy too. Fun little 4x4 ALL WHEEL DRIVE!

My Great Uncle had a mid-sixties Scout 80. It was a pile of rust, but it worked great around his spread. I spent many a summer day as a youngster riding with him checking fences. He had a creek that crossed his property, and we would ford across with water pouring through the rust holes. The only downside was that the mice started boiling out from under the seats to get away from the rising water. The Scout is still on the farm, but it was crushed by the barn when it fell in back in the '90s. I asked to cut it out, but the remaining family have plans to do something with it someday. Since then, nothing has moved according to Google maps.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 09-06-2024 at 09:20 PM.

gm you need to get a hold of tat Scout! Those mid 60's were cuties. I know you can restore it. $30K restored but, I bet it would go for way more at auction.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...r-scout-80-21/

I would, but it's had a barn resting on top of it for so many years, plus it was roached out pretty bad before. The last conversation I had with my cousin he said that they were going to do something with it someday..... Just like they did with the pair of FJ40 Land cruisers that were run until destroyed. I'll be much better off to find one that is in one piece and re-build it from there. Much like a Willys, most all of the body panels are available and aren't terribly expensive. First, I need to get back on and finish the wagon project, then worry about the starting something else. I've been eyeing some mid 2000's Chevy Tahoe's that are going pretty cheap for drive train donors. If I find one, then I'll need to let the LS master in Bmorgil go through it when I get enough spare funds.

Up here in the rust belt, chevy pick-ups are a great resource for LS engines / drivetrain. They had a real issue with their frames rotting out.

True, the rust belt will offer more of a selection of options. I'll probably stick with my local selections for rust free candidates. They are mostly roached out for body damage and crappy interiors, but if I choose to utilize the frame/drivetrain, then I would like to have good metal to start with. I wouldn't do a complete frame swap, but rather use some of the steel from the donor frame to box or stiffen the Willys frame. Yes, I could use nice virgin steel, but what's the challenge in that?

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    .......Yes, I could use nice virgin steel, but what's the challenge in that?
    Hahaha! Definitely not your M O gm. We can set you up in an LS that's for sure.

On marketplace last night there was a running and driving '04 Tahoe with less than 150,000 miles on the clock that was rolled on its side for $1,000. The only drawback was that it was 2 WD. The deals are out there, just have to find the right one. There is a fine line between taking on a challenge and just being cheap.

"We can set you up in an LS that's for sure."

Is that one still sitting by your back door?