Thread: Bought the wrong starter...kinda?

Exclamation Bought the wrong starter...kinda?

so I recently had my starter go out on my (what I think is a) 1946 cj2a. I'm not for sure on the year and model but I'm leaning toward 1946 cj2a. The only thing I think would be different is that the head says industrial stamped on it. Anyway I got a 12 volt replacement starter and it won't engage the flywheel. Any suggestions? I don't think I can return it to the seller. Maybe a different mounting plate on new starter? It's a MZ-4163. Here's the link on eBay. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=271563315619 if you can help me in any way that would be awesome. Thanks!

maybe the wrong tooth count on the flywheel, a nine tooth starter needs a 126 tooth fly wheel ring, there are 3 different choices

Starters

Welcome Blakeyjr13! Count the teeth on your flywheel. You never know what might be in there.

The 9 tooth starter is for the 124 tooth flywheel originally, just as polar765 said. The 97 Tooth flywheel uses the 10 tooth.This could get a bit tricky. The diameter of the pinion gear is the key. There are some 9 tooth large diameter pinon gears that will mesh with the 97 tooth flywheel. The flywheel "Bell Housing" on the 97 tooth flywheel motor has a bushing in it to support the end of the pinion shaft that protrudes. The early setup was for the "Foot Starter". Measure the outside diameter of the gear from the original starter and compare it to your replacement rather than the tooth count.

When you say it wont engage the starter what is happening? Is the starter spinning? Do you have the foot pedal starter set up still or has it been changed to a key start? You should have a foot pedal starter originally in a CJ2A.

The MZ-4163 is a solenoid starter used with a key start, 1951 and newer models. The MZ-4113 should be the original 6 volt for an early 2A. An MZ-4124 is a 12 volt version of the MZ-4113. They are both for the 97 tooth flywheel. The pinion gear on both is 10 teeth (or a large diameter 9 tooth).

As I was taught by LarrBeard, a 6 volt starter works great on a 12 volt system. That is what's on mine. Don't sweat it if you can only get the 6 volt MZ-4113. The MZ-4124 can be very hard to find.
    Last edited by bmorgil; Today at 04:11 PM.