Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546

Thread: My first vehicle! 1956 CJ5

"Also I got my drivers permit the other day, so I can take flossy out on the big roads without needing a driver!"

As I read the cohesive posts you put together and look at all of the things you are getting done to Flossy, I forget that you are not on Old Coot like most of us here on the forum. Take an Atta Boy young man.

Just be careful out there.

Congratulations young man!

Here's a little something to help remind you that I'm the younger generation here. I just put underglow on flossy, haha. I'll probably cause a lot of discrepancy for this, but I thinkbits kinda cool. And when I put the lights to white intakes it really nice for offroading at night. Anything when it's dark, even just checking tires or locking in the hubs the white lights are super handy.

I love it 56'! Anything to show her off works.

Take heed with your youth 56', it will last forever.

We were all young once upon a time. I kid about the mall crawlers and the squatted trucks fad, but the rock lights give Flossy a good, functional look. I like it actually.

Well guys, I guess I am a true willys owner now. I finally had my first breakdown. My Dad and I went to take Flossy out for a quick drive last night and everything was working perfectly. We got about 2 or 3 miles from home cruising along at 40 just as smooth as can be. Then all of a sudden I went to hit the throttle alittle and there was nothing. The tach fell to zero. So we drift to the side and stop, engines dead. I try to re start and there's nothing, somehow we lost all electricity. Not a single light or anything works. The floor starter spins the engine over just fine, but no ignition. We pushed it down the road to a nearby parking lot. And I started checking things out with a multimeter. There was power going into the ignition switch. But when I turn the key to run it drops to zero volts going into the key. Turn to acc and there's five volts now. The headlight fuse was melted and deformed but the metal was still fine. A friend was just coming home from work and stopped to help. We couldn't figure anything out. So we made a jumper wire directly from the battery to the coil, used the floor starter and it fired right up. So we drove home, the whole way running just perfectly. Get back disconnect the battery to shut it off. And I continued the search.

I irst tried the process of elimination and removed all the fuses. I took the ign switch out thinking thatight be the problem, it checks out fine. But I directly connect all the wires that would go to the key. There's 12 volts in the fuse block. I put the coil fuse in and lose all power. Pull the coil fuse out and I have 12 volts again. Then I put all the fuses back in and put one end of the multimeter on the main inlet to the fuses, and the other to body and there's continuity between the hot and ground with the battery disconnected. So somewhere I must have a wire shorted out, I'm guessing either light or coil circuit. But I don't know why it hasn't popped a fuse. It got late last night so I left off there, I'll ses what I can find today.

Do win a merit badge for my first willys breakdown? I knew it would happen someday, I'm a true willys owner know haha!

Maybe the underglow was just too much for flossy to handle.