Thread: Ignition timing question

Ignition timing question

Hello- I have a 64 CJ5 with the F134 engine and trying to set the timing. The previous owner installed an electronic distributor. What I noticed is that looking down at the distributor cap the #1 plug wire is oriented at around 6:30 o’clock. The shop manual wants it to be at 5 o’clock and it looks like the distributor is turned completely clockwise (advanced) as far as it goes. With the timing light the marks aren’t even close. Any suggestions?

Fester, see if this thread helps.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys.com/showthread.php?3281-134-distributor-intstall

Set the timing with the engine off. The electronic distributor fires the plug when the trigger aligns with the pickup. Go online and find the instructions for your distributor. Check to see how to determine when it fires to be sure. If you cant find anything, take some pictures of the pickup in the distributor so I can see what it is. Once you have the static timing set, you can use a timing light to check your settings. It should be right on if you correctly find when the distributor fires and align the timing marks to 5 degrees before TDC.
    Last edited by bmorgil; Today at 05:39 PM.