Thread: Spicer 23-2 differential backlash question

Hybrid View

Thanks for the valuable information. I understand the procedure you detailed on the carrier install. I have watched YouTube videos and the procedure multiple times. At this point my confidence level is increasing. My intention is to ensure the setup is done correctly so I can have assurance on the road. This is a slow total restore on the entire jeep. It's a 41 MB and I want as much to remain original as possible. The engine, trans and transfer that was in it came out of a 53 cj. The engine was shot but the trans and transfer were salvageable. Those are the only non-original pieces on the MB. I will post pics of the ring gears soon and thank you so much for your time and help.
    Last edited by Pabutler1; 11-30-2019 at 01:49 PM.

Pulled the bearings. Pinion shims = .056. Carrier- bolt side = .051. Carrier gear side = .024. the pinion wear can be felt when running my finger on it, thinking it may need to be replaced. Ring gear feels smooth. pics added.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pabutler1; 11-30-2019 at 06:57 PM.

More pics including ring gear.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The concern is on the drive side of the gears. That is the convex side on the ring gear. That side should be the one that tells the story. The drive side of the pinion is a little blurry in the photo. It looks pretty good. If you can feel a dent at all however, its no good. The color of the lube looks very rusty or dirty. Abrasive in a Hypiod gear set is deadly. It will hone the gear set teeth right down.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 12-04-2019 at 08:45 AM.