Page 203 of 252 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203204205213 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,030 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

Quote Originally Posted by larrbeard View Post
    my introduction to the sniper match was in 2015 (i think). I had shot the hearst doubles that morning and my partner in that match was shooting with another guy from our group in the sniper that afternoon. But, while we were cooling down, his sniper match partner called – he had the gi trots and couldn’t get more than a few feet away from the pot.

So, i was drafted to be the substitute – under a different name. Since we had no chance of winning anything, we didn’t worry about it. I’d never shot the particular rifle we were using, but we grabbed those two lousy sandbags we were issued and made a nest; (168 grain hornady bthp, 46 grains h4895 – pretty much the standard recipe). I gave my buddy his sighter shots and i rolled over on the gun. Fortunately his eyes and mine focused the same, so we didn’t have to fiddle with the scope.

I stayed on the gun when it came time to shoot for record; my first shot was an 8 out at 9 o’clock. I recall telling myself “you aren’t going to win anything shooting like that”; so i settled down and the next nine shots were all 10’s; all around the clock and not an x in the bunch. I don’t remember the rest of the match, but we didn’t win or embarrass ourselves – even if i did shoot under an alias that day.

Next year, same gun – different partner. We shot well enough to just squeak into a bronze by three points or so.

The last time i shot the sniper (same partner as previous year) we were doing very well, and had moved back to 600-yards. Then - i missed a wind change and my partner shot a downwind 7 when he had been shooting 10’s. He couldn’t give me a good call on where the shot broke, and i told him “aw shux, just shoot it again”. He did and shot another downwind 7. That time he gave me a good call and i told him to hold mid-7 upwind (9-o’clock). He did and it was a downwind tight 9. So, by missing the wind change, i let him drop about 4 to 6 points – and as you know – in that match dropping 4 to 6 points moves you well out of the bronze into the cotton t-shirt medals.

Life has caught up with me and i haven’t been able to shoot for the last couple of years. Maybe next year…
    were you there when they suspended the matches and shut range down so i could get medevaced?? During high power??

NOW THAT IS A GROOVE,,, Just went under Magoo and scoped it out, rear differential the big gasket on the rear seems suspect there is always a drop hanging ready to drop, and that does not seem to be a huge issue
    xfer case rear yoke to back wheel has constant drip, think it is bad, could possibley be the big gasket on the transfer case itself, kinda wet, rear yoke that goes in seems dry
    miight hold off on this and scrub under the jeep woith cleaner and water, drive it bit then park it and look see...... tracking down leaks is a pain in the ***,,, all i can think of is to clean it with cleaner, get it dry park it on clean floor and let it drip, anyone else go a magical way to do it.. some might say a bottle of gear oil easier than tearing it apart but wth??

here are two rifles, the 1941 (original) is a shooter, sand bag hold it holds X ring right on the money
    the other one i used this model while part of landing force staff in Beirut, since we did not follow or were in ground force command we were told that we had free hand and my colonel wante som hez's to disappear, i did turned on head into a canoe but wont show that photo, but he went to see his 72 virgins (all had the likeness of Yasif Arrafat

now if you are serious the last photo is a dead on at 1000 yard 1903 and a dead on 100 yard 22 the o3 with big *** barell was my grand dads

USMC1941.jpg M14SNIPER.jpg 03TARGET003.JPG
    Last edited by pelago; 11-13-2019 at 02:29 PM.

Yeah - I Was There

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    were you there when they suspended the matches and shut range down so i could get medevaced?? During high power??
    The "scoop" on the line was that some guy in the pits got shot, he was bleeding all over the place and he had to be MedEvaced out by helicopter.

If I recall, it was just some meanness or old shrapnel working its way out and you were back by the end of the day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Put it over a piece of cardboard. Its easier to throw away the cardboard than clean the floor. Ask me how I know ...

I like your thought process. Once you get it cleaned off it should be easier to tell where its coming from.

If you go after the rear diff cover, use the Fel-Pro gasket Part # RDS 6095-1. On the transfer case, they are notorious for leaks in several places. There are many thru bolts into the lube that must be sealed, shift rail seals that are tricky to install, and right were you are talking about, the output shim pack. The rear cap has shims under it to set the end play on the bearings. In a perfect world they seal themselves. I lightly spray everyone of the shims on both sides with Permatex High-Tack, prior to the final install after determining end play. I think they eventually leak if you don't.

I love those rifles! Man they look perfect setting on that M38A1.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 11-14-2019 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    The "scoop" on the line was that some guy in the pits got shot, he was bleeding all over the place and he had to be MedEvaced out by helicopter.

If I recall, it was just some meanness or old shrapnel working its way out and you were back by the end of the day.
    YEAH, a piece came out and took the tibial artery with it, blood shot out from underneath the overhead sitting on the bench out sbout 4 foot and first hit the tsrget, i said holy ****, and guy next to me a buck sgt in army said same thing, he had a tourniquet with him (guess that is standard now) and started to administer first aid, but could not get blood to stop, then pit director came over and got on phone, the rest of story i did not hear, but i do know the colonel did not want me on a bumpy ambulance ride nd ordered the place **** down and helo to come in. got in helo and they cut my damn brand new pants off,
    PHOTO OF MY SORRY REAR END GETTING LOADED AT VIALE RANGE AT THE NATIONALS

medevac.jpg
    Last edited by pelago; 11-16-2019 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    I like your thought process. Once you get it cleaned off it should be easier to tell where its coming from.

If you go after the rear diff cover, use the Fel-Pro gasket Part # RDS 6095-1. On the transfer case, they are notorious for leaks in several places. There are many thru bolts into the lube that must be sealed, shift rail seals that are tricky to install, and right were you are talking about, the output shim pack. The rear cap has shims under it to set the end play on the bearings. In a perfect world they seal themselves. I lightly spray everyone of the shims on both sides with Permatex High-Tack, prior to the final install after determining end play. I think they eventually leak if you don't.

I love those rifles! Man they look perfect setting on that M38A1.

Tese guys do make a lot of gaskets dont they... they the best ones for my motor rebuild of the 134f i am doing?

new CARB, Went round and round with Kaiser on this carb, when i got it there was absolutely no way to set up or attach a independent cable for choke and throttle, and being in as much as Magoo sometimes is cold hearted starting i felt i needed the choke. contacted Kaiser and it took agout 8 emails with photos to prove that the carb that i got did not have the fittings to attach cable for choke or throttle. They kept asking for this phot and fotr that photo, finally i said how many pictures do you want have sent photos with the empty spots where there is supposed to be linkage attachements, finally they just sent me a new carb and told me to replace what i have and return it pre paid. Well the carb came in okay and sure enough there were the missing pieces and parts that i needed, replace carb, hell no, take off valve cover and have to make a new gasket, not going to happen. 1 5/16 wrench and ten minutes it was done, their new carb is pristine but missing one cable clam[ and two 5/16 small bolts an one 5/16 nut
    SOMETIMES YOU JUST GOT TO STICK TO YOUR GUNS, THIS IS THE ONLY TIME I HAVE EVER HAD A ISSUE WITH KAISER, 99.9% OF TIME NOT A PROBLEM BUT THIS SORT OF SEEMED TO CRAWL BUT ALL IS GOOD AND DAMN IF MAGOO DONT RUN GREAT NOW THAT IT BREATHES

carb1.jpgenhanced2.jpg CHOKE&THROTTLE.jpgCHOKE & THROTTLE2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    Put it over a piece of cardboard. Its easier to throw away the cardboard than clean the floor. Ask me how I know ...

cleaned motor, trans, transfer case, and rear end, used two cans of gunk, waited 20 minuts then hit it with a hose, then drove around block to dry off (cold, I mean REALLY COLD) then pulled in to the garage and floor is clean as i could get using acetone and a rag, HOWEVER, JUST HAPPENED TO HAVE TWO 24"x24" PIECES OF CLEAN CARDBOARD Layed them out under the whole mess and will mark them "puddles" manana.... we sha ll see said the blindman

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    Tese guys do make a lot of gaskets dont they... they the best ones for my motor rebuild of the 134f i am doing?
    Yes I think so. Here is a link to a 1960 F4-134. https://www.felpro.com/find-my-part/...=1960~Jeep~CJ3 I wasn't sure of your year. An F head is an F head however. I have had a lot of success with Fel-Pro gaskets through the years. Even though I worked for Dana and they owned and I sold Victor Gasket, there were times when the Fel-Pro was preferred. I just think it would be unusual to have a bad result with them. Whatever you do don't take a chance on any other head gasket. There is a lot of reports of bad China import stuff. I got a hold of one for my L134 and checked it out. It is a real good knock off of the Fel-Pro. A fairly cheap lamination however. I have read about failures. The China is not marked anywhere as to where it is made. If you use the Fel-Pro Engine set there is a note that the "Military Rear Main Seal is not included". I am not sure what that means. Maybe gmwillys can help out here. I am not aware of what the "Military Seal" is. If you can use the rubber seal in your block I would use it. It is preferred to the rope seal.

I did have excellent results with the Hard Parts for the motor provided by KW. The Bearings, Rings, Pistons and Valve train parts were top notch. The pistons were Silvolite's and the rings were Hastings.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 11-16-2019 at 12:42 PM.