Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scraping

Scraping

Since bringing home the little darling I've been cleaning the bottom and scraping the top. Under the red paint is a greenish color, then black,then primer then the correct color of gray. Love the gray.

Ohh' this is taking a while but it keeps me out of trouble. I'm a tad bit bummed out now older, that I went thru all those different marques for decades just to end up back where I started, Willys.

This time next year it should be running the west costal roads of Del Mar and Encinitas Ca. I can't wait to drive slow and have those Ferrari people behind me losing their minds...as if that is a far trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Options are for girls"

Looking good! It is a labor of love to go back through time to see the many hues our Heeps have been. Our 2A had six or seven layers of different colors, to include a thick layer of house paint. The original color was Normandy Blue. The best paint removal tool is the nylon abrasive brushes that Horrible Freight sells. Three brushes will do an entire Jeep inside and out. All it takes is a 3/8" variable speed corded drill, and some time. It will clean the paint off down to the bare metal, and leaves you with a surface that is ready to paint after a good wipe down with prep solvent. The brushes will not remove metal and can even be used to strip the paint off the brass radiator tanks.

Thanks gmwillys. I frequent the Harbor at least once a month. I will get some. Also when on sale, their folding camp chairs are a peach. If you get their mailer, look for the camp chairs for $20.00
    "Options are for girls"

Welp I took gm's suggestion a tad bit further. Since I have a Makita with 5/8ths arbor, I found some poly disks on ebay, 5 for seventeen bucks that are good for high rpm's. Did a cj3a tail gate in 30 minutes. I'll need to use paint remover for indented issues but man, the paint was flying. Also found many factory spot welds. I'm big into the spot welds. As a for instance, on Toyota FJ40's, we never use filler on the welds. We want to see them, like keeping the fiberglass bonding strips visible on old Corvettes.
    It's a thing. Thanks gm for the heads up and just when I thought I knew everything...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pcs-Poly-...72.m2749.l2648
    Last edited by scoutingranch; 11-03-2019 at 04:20 PM.
    "Options are for girls"

Another shot

Next is paint remover and a Dremel
    "Options are for girls"

Sometimes you have to slow down to speed up... No removers used.

What is the locomotive in your avatar? My neighbor down the road about 5 miles is NKP 765. My kids and I got nasty with her on the first restoration, back when it was a bunch of amateurs playing with trains.

Well Mr. Beard. I'll try an make this short. The picture is me being held by pops around 1952/53. The man in the brown hat is his father. He, the man in the brown hat was also a locomotive engineer. My pops used to be a fireman on those puffers before WW2 then it was off to the Navy.
    Two of the narrow gauge locomotives from Colorado reside in Knotts Berry Farm here in SoCal.
    As a kid in the 50's and 60's we would ride the Durango to Silverton in Colorado as the family still had connections. I think this picture was taken at Knotts when they were fairly new to the park.
    I still have the pearl handled .32 Long revolver of Smith and Wesson the grandfather used to keep bums off the train cars.
    Growing up in Southern California we spent a lot of time at Knotts eating berry pie and fried chicken.
    And, of course riding the train.
    Last edited by scoutingranch; 11-03-2019 at 09:00 PM.
    "Options are for girls"

Old Steam Engines

Quote Originally Posted by scoutingranch View Post
    The picture is me being held by pops around 1952/53. The man in the brown hat is his father. He, the man in the brown hat was also a locomotive engineer. My pops used to be a fireman on those puffers before WW2 then it was off to the Navy.
    That is a neat story. I had noticed the locomotive a number of times and I didn't realize that the emphasis was on the group of people standing by the engine, not the engine itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2mU6jVcv4w

I always thought that the '48 Willys truck would have looked a lot more appropriate in the depot shot than the truck they used ....

Tailgate Paint Idea

Quote Originally Posted by scoutingranch View Post
    Next is paint remover and a Dremel
    You might do the same thing with your tailgate as another Jeeper did with his Gladiator tailgate - leave a look into the vehicle's past...

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...3&d=1571536938