Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Willys Jeep owner

Aches and Pains

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    I laughed so hard I hurt my rib. I started laughing again and hurt my back so, I am not reading that ever again.
    You old guys are too frail to have fun.

Merry Christmas - Ho, Ho , HO!

(Real Christmas Trucks don't have little chubby cartoon fenders and beady plastic eye headlights ... )
    Attached Images Attached Images

What's confusing is the specs for the VR1261 voltage regulator from AutoZone says it's "12-volt" but on the actual regulator case it says "6-volt". And of course after smoking the new regulator, I believe AutoZone mislabeled this part.

Clearly a Duralast 12 volt regulator. What the heck! That should have been the ticket. Now the question is, can they produce the right one?

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Clearly a Duralast 12 volt regulator. What the heck! That should have been the ticket. Now the question is, can they produce the right one?
    They cannot produce the correct one. It seems like I bought the last one AutoZone carried and it was packaged wrong. Then they referred me to Amazon for the Standard Motor Products VR-11. After some research, it's rated 6-volt only! NO, I need a 12-volt voltage regulator!!!

Here's another issue...(LMAO), the previous owner of my Willys bought the "civilian" speed-O which didn't work with the head unit in the dash. When I contacted Kaiser, they said I needed the "Military" speed-O...ok, I now have it and when I attempted to install it into the transfer case, it will not fit because of the protruding "lip" on the cable. Picture below...

fullsizeoutput_24e8.jpg

I'm at a loss

I think, at least, you have a case to get your money back on the voltage regulator.

Something is wrong with the end on that cable. You are a magnet for bad parts. Look North into a mirror and throw salt over your left shoulder.

What the heck man!

DougL;

I had to buy a different speedo cable as well, the little lip on the end slides in a slot on the transfer case pin to drive the speedometer. If you need one that is square on both ends, I have one that I bought that didn't work.
    If you slide the cable in the transfer case and turn the speedometer end it may line up and slip in the slot, it is a little bit of a Bi&^h to look up in there and see the slot but its there.

TJ are you saying the driven gear (pencil gear) in the transfer case had a slot in it? I have not seen that. All the ones I have seen took a square drive cable. Interesting.

Ford tractor tacks used the same set up. You would swear that you had it in place, but the booger would push back when you tightened the coller.