Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temp Gage Temperature at Middle Mark

Temp Gage Temperature at Middle Mark

Anyone know what the numerical temp reading would be on the stock temp gage when it is at the middle mark on a 6-226 super hurricane in a 1960 Wagon? I'm guessing somewhere around 160-180? thanks. I did a search and did not see it, but I am sure it has come up before.

Guessing is the only thing you can do until you compare it to a good reading. They all seem to have a mind of their own. Odds are its around 160. The chepo point and read infared thermometers from china are actually pretty good for this. Point it right at the base of the temperature sensor in the head and see what it says compared to the gauge.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 05-05-2021 at 01:10 PM.

Temp Gauge Reading

Quote Originally Posted by nance206 View Post
    Anyone know what the numerical temp reading would be on the stock temp gage when it is at the middle mark on a 6-226 super hurricane in a 1960 Wagon? I'm guessing somewhere around 160-180? thanks. I did a search and did not see it, but I am sure it has come up before.
    On the really old gauges, 160 was marked. then there was an unlabeled mark upscale and then 212- BOILING. The upscale mark was about where the 180 degree thermostat should run.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That answers the question can we go 40, snap a picture, ànd have a dash as perfect as a mirror...

Nice picture Larry! I think you can get arrested for that.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Nice picture Larry! I think you can get arrested for that.
    Get arrested for taking a picture while doing 40?
    Or for having a 73 year old dash that looks that nice??

And you sure can tell that Baby is running like a sewing machine, the oil pressure matchs right up with the speed!!!

Thanks Everyone, this turned out way funnier than I ever had in mind! I'm thinking a cheapo point and shoot thermometer might be in my future!

Quote Originally Posted by nance206 View Post
    Thanks Everyone, this turned out way funnier than I ever had in mind! I'm thinking a cheapo point and shoot thermometer might be in my future!
    This is how a lot of our threads go - we start out doing one thing and wander off (either a bit or a lot).

As for way funnier - we might as well laugh when we get the chance. Old Jeeps tend to make us cry and cuss a lot, so laugh when you can.

Now - seriously. A number of us have noticed that in the F-134 and L-134 or L-226 flat head engines, the modern replacement thermostats tend to let the indicated temperature overshoot, then cool down to the thermostat set-point. I didn't like that, especially because I had a thermostat stick closed once upon a time.

Our recommendation is to replace whatever thermostat you have with a Milodon 16400 160-degree thermostat or a 16406 180-degree unit. These open like the original '40's and '50's thermostats and don't let head temperature overshoot like modern units.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mil-16400

Wherever the temp gauge needle goes with the Milodon units, it's the set point on the box. They're not el-cheapo, but peace of mind is priceless

Before the infrared thermometers became so common I boiled senders to see if temp gauges were reading correctly. Thermostats can be checked in similar fashion. Just need a candy thermometer or the like to know the temperature of the liquid.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

I got one of the cheapo infrared thermometers but haven't used it yet, I will post my findings when I get them. I also will be paying Summit a visit online and getting a Milodon 16400 160-degree thermostat too! I'll try to post some then too! Thanks!