Page 74 of 252 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

being your basic money scrooge i too the ones off soaked them in carb cleaner and worked the little ball and they cleaned up and are ready for another 60yrs but got some when i was re assembling the suspension old one really bad and used napa, have read all the manuals on the jeep and can find nothing about "servicing the air cleaner" i forgot how to do it, other than cleaning it how much oil goes in it? went on internet and did not find squat...
    and if i remember the cleaning part was shall we say messy
    Last edited by pelago; 07-10-2018 at 01:58 PM.

It just so happens that I am in the middle of an air cleaner project. I've got some money, about half a day, two or three wire wheels and about 2 square inches of skin invested in the project to date.

On the oil cup, there should be a stamped line that says OIL LEVEL. The cup takes whatever oil you use in the engine - even used engine oil is OK since all that oil does is trap dirt, stray rain water and crud. The little sump gets NASTY!

Basic cleaning is dumping the oil and dirt out of the cup, wipe it out with a rag, add oil and put it back together. The filter mesh does not come out of most cleaners. Once or twice in a lifetime, the whole cleaner needs to be washed. Yep, it's a mess. I like a two-gallon (or whatever) bucket and a gallon of K-2 kerosene. (Diesel stinks too much!).

A gallon of kerosene in the bucket, sit the filter in it, swish it around, pour some kerosene through it to get the dust and residual oil out of the filter mesh and you're good for a whole lot of around town hours.

Got to go away again seems like cellulitis has returned with a vengeance attacking bone at us hosp navy hosp camp lejeune nc

Get Well!

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    Got to go away again seems like cellulitis has returned with a vengeance attacking bone at us hosp navy hosp camp lejeune nc
    That is nasty stuff. You're at the right place to get it cared for. Get it done right and then you can get back on the M38.

Get well soon, my friend. We are all pulling for a speedy recovery.

Does anyone have Ira's amateur call sign? I can use that to chase down his address and send the old coot a card....

Sorry Sir. I know he is not far from Camp Lejeune, but have never asked a hard location.

If you do find out, send me a private message, and I'll send one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Sorry Sir. I know he is not far from Camp Lejeune, but have never asked a hard location.

If you do find out, send me a private message, and I'll send one as well.
    I was Senior Chief, don't call me "sir".

He PMed me once with his call sign, but it's long gone by now.

I stand corrected Senior Chief. Again, if you run across any Intel, I would appreciate it.

AM BACK, NOT A FUN FOUR DAYS, TWO SURGERIES, FINAL OUTCOME STILL UP IN AIR, SERIOUS INFECTION THAT TURNED SEPTIC..... BUT GOT RELEASED AND SENT HOME WITH A iv SET UP IN ARM HOME HEALTH CARE FOR THREE WEEKS WITH SUPER ANTIBIOTICS DAILY... THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR CONCERN, THIS IS A PRETTY GOOD BUNCH EVEN THOUGH THERE ARE SQUIDS HERE.........................