Page 202 of 252 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204212 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,020 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

Tshe only way to get e9 at the time was to shoot some of the ones on active duty, took me ten years to get 7.. Most of those years it was zero to e7 in my field. Dont know if you know a name norm chandler, full colonel. He alled me and another marine retired and asked if we ould help with marksmanship at the range at lejeune, unofficially and no pay of course. I said why not and did so. Think i helped some

I'd love to sit through one of your courses. I'd like to be better than an alright shot.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    I'd love to sit through one of your courses. I'd like to be better than an alright shot.
    Wow would that be cool! A chance to learn from the very best.

2014 the NRA and CMP had the inaugural sniper match.. I used an original 1903A4 sniper rifle, course was ten rounds at three hundred yards target comes up and got 20 seconds to shoot, then goes down for 20 seconds then comes up and this is done for all ten shots
    shot a 100 with ten X's
    then move to 600 yards and same routine
    shot another 100 with ten x's

this is a great OLD rifle pretty damn accurate i used 168grain 3006 match ammo, took the gold medal 1200 competitors
    1903A4 1.jpg

the next year had to shoot team match, i used a original USMC SNIPER RIFLE Philadelphia naval shipyard gun smiths created these mine was based upon a 1929 match 1903 and they added a unertyl 8 power scope, and a "C" stock (pistol grip) i shot a perfect score but my team mate dropped one into the 9 ring at 600 so only got a bronze

back to Mr Magoo, seem to have developed some leaks at the union of u joint and the differential gear oil dripping out of u joint shaft?? seal?? what is best choice for new seals? do not seem tho have good luck with kaiser gaskets?? and the darned transfer case same issue and it has a new kaiser gasket??

I loved reading your reply about the match! It fits in great with the American Rifleman story this month about the Springfield sniper rifles. It is amazing what YOU can do with a rifle designed over 100 years ago. I am truly humbled by your skill.

If you are seeing (and smelling) gear lube at the pinion, it is probably the pinon seal. Any good name seal will do. I used a National seal made from Nitrile material. Make sure the yoke does not have a groove worn in it or, has a pitted or galled up seal surface. If it does, I use wear sleeves, a little cheaper than replacing the yoke.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 11-13-2019 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    I loved reading your reply about the match! It fits in great with the American Rifleman story this month about the Springfield sniper rifles. It is amazing what YOU can do with a rifle designed over 100 years ago. I am truly humbled by your skill.

If you are seeing (and smelling) gear lube at the pinion, it is probably the pinon seal. Any good name seal will do. I used a National seal made from Nitrile material. Make sure the yoke does not have a groove worn in it or, has a pitted or galled up seal surface. If it does, I use wear sleeves, a little cheaper than replacing the yoke.
    will inspect very close,,, what would constitute serious groove or wear??

lotsa stuff in there

yoke.jpg yoke2.jpg
    Last edited by pelago; 11-13-2019 at 11:06 AM.

Pelago,

Remember you just had your Jeep serviced. A Willys will leak until it finds its happy place for fluid levels. If the service station pumped in dope until it was running out the hole, there is probably too much for its liking. Good rule of thumb, stick your finger in the hole, and point down. If the dope is between your nail and first knuckle, you are in range.

A true Craftsman with a rifle, you are.

Sniper Match Sea Stories - "Once Upon a Time ..."

My introduction to the Sniper Match was in 2015 (I think). I had shot the Hearst Doubles that morning and my partner in that match was shooting with another guy from our group in the Sniper that afternoon. But, while we were cooling down, his Sniper Match Partner called – he had the GI trots and couldn’t get more than a few feet away from the pot.

So, I was drafted to be the substitute – under a different name. Since we had no chance of winning anything, we didn’t worry about it. I’d never shot the particular rifle we were using, but we grabbed those two lousy sandbags we were issued and made a nest; (168 grain Hornady BTHP, 46 grains H4895 – pretty much the standard recipe). I gave my buddy his sighter shots and I rolled over on the gun. Fortunately his eyes and mine focused the same, so we didn’t have to fiddle with the scope.

I stayed on the gun when it came time to shoot for record; my first shot was an 8 out at 9 o’clock. I recall telling myself “You aren’t going to win anything shooting like that”; so I settled down and the next nine shots were all 10’s; all around the clock and not an X in the bunch. I don’t remember the rest of the match, but we didn’t win or embarrass ourselves – even if I did shoot under an alias that day.

Next year, same gun – different partner. We shot well enough to just squeak into a Bronze by three points or so.

The last time I shot the Sniper (same partner as previous year) we were doing very well, and had moved back to 600-yards. Then - I missed a wind change and my partner shot a downwind 7 when he had been shooting 10’s. He couldn’t give me a good call on where the shot broke, and I told him “Aw shux, just shoot it again”. He did and shot another downwind 7. That time he gave me a good call and I told him to hold mid-7 upwind (9-o’clock). He did and it was a downwind tight 9. So, by missing the wind change, I let him drop about 4 to 6 points – and as you know – in that match dropping 4 to 6 points moves you well out of the Bronze into the cotton T-shirt medals.

Life has caught up with me and I haven’t been able to shoot for the last couple of years. Maybe next year…

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    will inspect very close,,, what would constitute serious groove or wear??

lotsa stuff in there

yoke.jpg yoke2.jpg
    This is a picture of a REAL bad grove. I don't like to see much of a grove at all. Any pits or anything that is other than perfectly smooth, will just cut up the new seal or leak under the lip.

seal surface.jpg