Page 208 of 252 FirstFirst ... 108158198206207208209210218 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,080 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

to get the seal out had to remove the output shaft yoke cover, and damn if there were no shims???? now i have two good ones, another that is damaged?? but what does this mean ""Goes between your D18 case housing and the rear output cap to set bearing preload."" what the hell i bearing pre load?

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/rear-ou...-transfer-case
    N THE DRAWING I DO NOT SEE A GASKET?? DO THE SHIMS ACT AS A GASKET? WOULD THINK ONE IS NEEDED?
    D18-Transfercase_NEW-A_6.jpg

AND WHERE DOES THIS GO AND WHAT PURPOSE DOES IT SERVE?

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/output-...-transfer-case

THE SPONGE RUBBER PIECE NOT ON DIA GRAM BUT IS ON VIDEO, SO GUESS I WILL PUT IT IN, BOUGHT ONE WHY NOT CAN'T HURT AND THEY SAY TO USE A LITTLE GASKET SEALANT ON SHIMS
    Last edited by pelago; 11-28-2019 at 03:50 PM.

Leak
    can feel a groove in surface and a lot of pits that been told will tear up seal
    READY TO COME OUT.jpg OIL SPLATTER.jpgOUT.jpgOUT2.jpg
    Last edited by pelago; 11-29-2019 at 08:28 AM.

VERY HARD TO GET A CLEAR PHOTO OF THE SCORED GROOVE IN THIS THING BUT ITS THERE, hard to-imagine that that much lube passed thru this, but while laying and looking at it i saw a rivulet of gear lube pass down thru it to floor
    Attachment 5238 SCORED2.jpg
    Last edited by pelago; 11-29-2019 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    to get the seal out had to remove the output shaft yoke cover, and damn if there were no shims???? now i have two good ones, another that is damaged?? but what does this mean ""Goes between your D18 case housing and the rear output cap to set bearing preload."" what the hell i bearing pre load?

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/rear-ou...-transfer-case
    N THE DRAWING I DO NOT SEE A GASKET?? DO THE SHIMS ACT AS A GASKET? WOULD THINK ONE IS NEEDED?
    D18-Transfercase_NEW-A_6.jpg

AND WHERE DOES THIS GO AND WHAT PURPOSE DOES IT SERVE?

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/output-...-transfer-case

THE SPONGE RUBBER PIECE NOT ON DIA GRAM BUT IS ON VIDEO, SO GUESS I WILL PUT IT IN, BOUGHT ONE WHY NOT CAN'T HURT AND THEY SAY TO USE A LITTLE GASKET SEALANT ON SHIMS
    You found a leak no question about it. The yoke seal surface is shot.

The shims are probably stuck to the cap or the case. Here is a brief video on a rebuild. It does show the shims and cap. The pre load is the distance set from the bearing cap to the case using the shims. The shims are the gasket. They need a thin coat of "Permatex High Tack" both sides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G0rGXCE9Po

That felt washer goes beetween the yoke and the seal. I don't use them. They are there for mud and such. A preliminary line of defense.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    You found a leak no question about it. The yoke seal surface is shot.

The shims are probably stuck to the cap or the case. Here is a brief video on a rebuild. It does show the shims and cap. The pre load is the distance set from the bearing cap to the case using the shims. The shims are the gasket. They need a thin coat of "Permatex High Tack" both sides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G0rGXCE9Po

That felt washer goes beetween the yoke and the seal. I don't use them. They are there for mud and such. A preliminary line of defense.
    i thought they might be stuck to either also, but damn, no shim. previous dismantle by who ever either ignored/forgot/didnt care about the shims? but i will re assemble with the three that i have from other transm/xfer case, no shims had to add to lube coming out bottom right bolt? which there always was a drop of oil there
    we shall see said the blind man

yeah i watched video, interesting to note that the diagram did not have the felt washer, pieces and parts due saturday fed ex

Ira, I am concerned about the shims. We are talking about a lot of thickness. Without the shims, the transfer case would bind up tight on the output bearing and fry it at the very least. I think it would crack the case or cap if it was attempted. I just don't see it going together without them.

When you reassemble it, you should have .004" to .008" of end play on the main shaft. You might need to order a shim pack from KW https://www.kaiserwillys.com/rear-ou...gaAmCgEALw_wcB .

If it is too loose it will beat the bearing up. If it is too tight it will burn the bearing up. Do you have a good service manual on the Dana 18?

The below is from the Novac Guide. It is pretty good. http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...-rebuild-guide

Output Shaft Endplay

dana_18_endplay_checkHold the rear output cap on the rear bearing and measure the gap between the cap and the case with a feeler gauge. Add .010 to the gap thickness to obtain the thickness of the shim pack for the initial setting. (Note that the shims are available in thickness' of .003, .010, and .031.)

Install the initial shim pack and rear cap and tighten the four rear bolts to 30 foot pounds. The output shaft, gear, and bearings assembly must now be moved rearward to seat the rear bearing in the rear cap. The easiest way to do this is to use the end of a block of wood and a hammer and rap the rear cap (not the shaft). The inertia of the impact will seat the rear bearing. Failure to fully seat these bearings is a common occurrence, and stacking an unholy number of shims up to get endplay is not the answer. It may sometimes be necessary to install the yoke, speedo drive spacer, etc. and torque the yoke nut to fully seat this assembly.
    Important Considerations for the Novak O-ring Seals

When installing the Novak intermediate shaft, install the leading o-ring after the shaft has entered the rear bore and then apply a coat of grease to ease its installation into its own bore at the front of the transfer case. Install the second o-ring and grease it as well. This is to minimize the risk of damaging the o-ring seal during this installation process.

Install the initial shim pack and rear cap and tighten the four rear bolts to 30 foot pounds. The output shaft, gear, and bearings assembly must now be moved rearward to seat the rear bearing in the rear cap. The easiest way to do this is to use the end of a block of wood and a hammer and rap the rear cap (not the shaft). The inertia of the impact will seat the rear bearing. Failure to fully seat these bearings is a common occurence, and stacking an unholy number of shims up to get endplay is not the answer.

Attach a dial indicator to the case with the contact tip of the instrument on the end of the rear output shaft. Push and pull gently on the shaft by hand while reading the end play on the indicator. (Factory spec for end play is .004 to .008 but a better job results if .002 to .006 is maintained. This is an important adjustment and cannot be done by eye or feel. Add or subtract shims as necessary to obtain the desired end play. Be sure to seat the bearing as outlined previously each time the shim pack is made thicker.

After the proper thickness shim pack has been established, remove the rear cap and shims and apply a thin coat of shellac or sealant spray. Reassemble before the spray dries and torque the bolts (30 ft. lbs.), and recheck end play, which should be the same as before (.002 to .006).

i have no reference material for the xfer case or transmission at all, i do have a complete engine manual and the operations manual (which is just that)

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    The below is from the Novac Guide. It is pretty good. http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...-rebuild-guide

Output Shaft Endplay

dana_18_endplay_checkHold the rear output cap on the rear bearing and measure the gap between the cap and the case with a feeler gauge. Add .010 to the gap thickness to obtain the thickness of the shim pack for the initial setting. (Note that the shims are available in thickness' of .003, .010, and .031.)

Install the initial shim pack and rear cap and tighten the four rear bolts to 30 foot pounds. The output shaft, gear, and bearings assembly must now be moved rearward to seat the rear bearing in the rear cap. The easiest way to do this is to use the end of a block of wood and a hammer and rap the rear cap (not the shaft). The inertia of the impact will seat the rear bearing. Failure to fully seat these bearings is a common occurrence, and stacking an unholy number of shims up to get endplay is not the answer. It may sometimes be necessary to install the yoke, speedo drive spacer, etc. and torque the yoke nut to fully seat this assembly.
    Important Considerations for the Novak O-ring Seals

When installing the Novak intermediate shaft, install the leading o-ring after the shaft has entered the rear bore and then apply a coat of grease to ease its installation into its own bore at the front of the transfer case. Install the second o-ring and grease it as well. This is to minimize the risk of damaging the o-ring seal during this installation process.

Install the initial shim pack and rear cap and tighten the four rear bolts to 30 foot pounds. The output shaft, gear, and bearings assembly must now be moved rearward to seat the rear bearing in the rear cap. The easiest way to do this is to use the end of a block of wood and a hammer and rap the rear cap (not the shaft). The inertia of the impact will seat the rear bearing. Failure to fully seat these bearings is a common occurence, and stacking an unholy number of shims up to get endplay is not the answer.

Attach a dial indicator to the case with the contact tip of the instrument on the end of the rear output shaft. Push and pull gently on the shaft by hand while reading the end play on the indicator. (Factory spec for end play is .004 to .008 but a better job results if .002 to .006 is maintained. This is an important adjustment and cannot be done by eye or feel. Add or subtract shims as necessary to obtain the desired end play. Be sure to seat the bearing as outlined previously each time the shim pack is made thicker.

After the proper thickness shim pack has been established, remove the rear cap and shims and apply a thin coat of shellac or sealant spray. Reassemble before the spray dries and torque the bolts (30 ft. lbs.), and recheck end play, which should be the same as before (.002 to .006).

dont suppose that there is a video of this procedure, whew lot to it, i have three shims two thick ones and two thin ones did not measure them