Thread: FC Models

FC Models

The FC models are so ugly they are cute. Driving one is like driving a Tonka truck. The horsepower to weight ratio is very low. The 72 horsepower engine was too small as the FC,s are heavy trucks. They do have enough power in the lower gears to to push and pull but highway performance is poor. Top speed at 3000 RPM's is about 45 MPH. Zero to 60 I would guess to be about 20 seconds. With factory seats you must wear a seat belt because it feels like you are going to slide out the door. But, the are fun to drive with excellent visibility and a very short turning radius.

I remember seeing them growing up, used by farmers and such. Most were water company trucks with the utility beds mounted. I'm sure it would be a lot like driving the old Ford cab over roll back that we had at the shop I worked at. Hot in the summer, cold in the winter, because you had to drive with the windows open for the exhaust leaking off the 460's exhaust manifolds.... (new manifolds were installed along with gaskets, but the exhaust ports on the heads were so warped that the gaskets wouldn't seal) The shift linkage was so warn out that you could swing the shifter around in a circle, and never hit a gear. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian21 View Post
    The horsepower to weight ratio is very low. The 72 horsepower engine was too small as the FC,s are heavy trucks. They do have enough power in the lower gears to to push and pull but highway performance is poor. Top speed at 3000 RPM's is about 45 MPH.
    Yep - you also described the '48 2WD. It's not a light truck for its day, 3,200 pounds - but it was rated as a 1-ton truck with 7.00 x 16 tires. I tell folks with the 5.38 rear-end it will pull a train - just not very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    Yep - you also described the '48 2WD. It's not a light truck for its day, 3,200 pounds - but it was rated as a 1-ton truck with 7.00 x 16 tires. I tell folks with the 5.38 rear-end it will pull a train - just not very fast.
    Of course you always find more data after you make a post...

FC-150 Specs
    Manufacturer: Willys 'Jeep'
    Model: Forward Control FC-150
    Production: 1959
    Production # that year: 3,048*

Wheelbase: 81 inches
    Overall length: 146 in.
    Overall height: 78.02 in.
    Overall width: 74.42 in.
    Curb weight: 3,273 lbs.

The FC's are a very sturdy vehicle. I had a Porsche lose control on a icy covered road and spin in to me. My FC came to rest on to the top of the Porsche. I backed it off and what I did not tear off going up I tore off backing off. The Porsche was total wreck and my Jeep had 200.00 worth of damage. I have rebuilt my FC 150. Every single part. Added power steering, power brakes, electric fan and electronic igination. The wide track models are the best as they are more stable. Wide tracks were introduced in 1958. The early ones, 1957, are on the CJ 5 frame. The wide tracks are 8 inches wider. Have so much money in my truck that I could have bought the most expensive Jeep made.