Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Soon...real soon

The floor supports are rotted out (gee, with wood inside metal channels underneath who da' thunk) and a small area of floor has pitting. So, odered new supports, floors and tail area where a prior genius cut out holes and inserted aftermarket tail lights.
    Rather than spend time patching holes I thought it prudent to install fresh steel and give that Miller a real workout stitch welding. The frame is almost perfect as in only flash/surface rust in some places but I was taken aback how clean everything was. Lucked out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scoutingranch; 05-30-2020 at 07:14 PM.
    "Options are for girls"

Lucked Out

Quote Originally Posted by scoutingranch View Post
    Lucked out.
    With Jeeps, as with most of life's technical endeavors, pure dern blind luck usually overcomes skill, cunning and forethought!

Carry ON! You've got a good one going!

The white oak strips that go in the hat channel supports just retain water and rots the steel from the inside out. The replacement channel should have a spacer that is tacked in where the body mounts go through, if not, add some for good measure. The reproduction MD Juan bodies have wood in the channels, at least the one I fooled with did.

You will have fun letting the Miller do all the hot work. I've had mine for over twenty years, and haven't had any trouble. I'm still using the original stinger. For my style of welding, I like using Esab..035 solid core wire, with 75/25 argon.

The MD Juan's still have wood in them. A truly bad idea. However if your looking for original or like mine, it's not allowed out in the rain, they are "Original".

We do love the "Miller" or in our garage, a Hobart 250. Same stuff here .035" mild steel 75/25 for almost everything. A large MIG is sure nice.

yep, same here exactly. I still use my hood with flip lens. Old habits...
    Last edited by scoutingranch; 05-31-2020 at 06:48 AM.
    "Options are for girls"

Cyber Weld had some great deals on Auto Darkening helmets. I couldn't resist. My boy loves it! https://store.cyberweld.com/hobart-c...et-770870.html

Nice heads up on China Freight. https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases...ht-jack-stands

I have seen many under those jack stands.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 05-31-2020 at 08:46 AM.

Jiaxing Golden Roc Tools

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post

Nice heads up on China Freight. https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases...ht-jack-stands

I have seen many under those jack stands.
    "Jiaxing Golden Roc Tools Company, the original manufacturer, determined that the jack stands’ defect was due to the aging of production tooling."

I guess if you need a reason - that is as good as any. If the tooling was worn out in June of 2013, why did it take until November of 2019 to find it?

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    "Jiaxing Golden Roc Tools Company, the original manufacturer, determined that the jack stands’ defect was due to the aging of production tooling."

I guess if you need a reason - that is as good as any. If the tooling was worn out in June of 2013, why did it take until November of 2019 to find it?
    that is what their attorney told them to say

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    that is what their attorney told them to say
    There is no question, you are absolutely correct.

I've had a couple of sets of 6 ton stands from Northern Hyraulics, (Northern Tool and Equipment) for over 25 years with no issues. I'm sure they were made in Taiwan, but they have held up well. They have held up to splitting tractors, and all sorts of things they weren't intended for.