Page 26 of 41 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtual Willys MB

Here are three new renderings

317.jpg 318.jpg 319.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    I am sure there will be a market for "finished" and "assembly required". It will be interesting to see where you need to price it to make it worth your while. Inevitably you have one nice prototype!
    Thanks, I'll have a small collection of them. Can't wait to know more as well.

This is a tough one. How much money I've wasted on Jeeps I couldn't say. Way too much though, and more than half of it senselessly. How much I'd spend on a very cool model, I just don't know know. Never bought one. And what size? That would depend. Desktop, jeep shelf, or workbench? All I can say is I am currently looking into the purchase of one of those models you are building. And I want one of em. Lol.

A Christmas wish for you and your need for toys AZ! https://www.banggood.com/ROCHOBBY-1-..._warehouse=USA

Quote Originally Posted by 5JeepsAz View Post
    This is a tough one. How much money I've wasted on Jeeps I couldn't say. Way too much though, and more than half of it senselessly. How much I'd spend on a very cool model, I just don't know know. Never bought one. And what size? That would depend. Desktop, jeep shelf, or workbench? All I can say is I am currently looking into the purchase of one of those models you are building. And I want one of em. Lol.
    I hope we can manage for you to have one!

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    A Christmas wish for you and your need for toys AZ! https://www.banggood.com/ROCHOBBY-1-..._warehouse=USA
    Wow that is incredible, I want one. The level of details is awesome. There is no comparison with injection molding. Scale 1:6 Remote controlled. That is a great deal

I spent yesterday compiling information in a spreadsheet to see what is my break even point. It's horrible. Here's the breakdown

Scale 1:10
    Filament required 875 grams -> 39.25$
    113 printing hours. Cost of printer wear and power consumption is estimated at 0.50$ / hour -> 56.50$
    Screws (breakdown is not complete yet) Estimate -> 30$
    Shipping Estimate ->25$
    Etsy selling fees for direct sale 10% of selling price (this will increase if I add a profit margin) -> 20$

Total break even cost: 170$ Canadian Dollars. At the current exchange rate it's around 132$ US Dollars

Scale 1:6 filament and printing time is multiplied by 1.67
    Filament required 1500 grams -> 65.54$
    188 printing hours. Cost of printer wear and power consumption is estimated at 0.50$ / hour -> 94$
    Screws (breakdown is not complete yet) Estimate -> 30$
    Shipping Estimate ->25$
    Etsy selling fees for direct sale 10% of selling price (this will increase if I add a profit margin) -> 25$

Total break even cost: 240$ Canadian Dollars. At the current exchange rate it's around 185$ US Dollars

These figures do not take into account that inevitably, some prints will fail and will need to be reprinted. It does not take into account the time required to monitor the printer, the start/end of jobs clean up and the time to assemble. Printing a 1:10 scale will take 10 days at 12h/day. The 1:6 will take 16 days at 12h/day.

This technology is obviously for hobbies only. And this is exactly what I'm doing here, having fun. I'm in no way shape or form starting a business with all the crap that it entails.

I think the only way to recuperate a little bit of the money invested in this hobby is to sell the digital files and the prototypes printed in the development phase.

Therefore, I will have only a couple of 1:10 and 1:6 to sell in the upcoming weeks/months. After that, I may consider special orders.

If this is something that anyone would like to buy, feel free to contact me directly by either private message or email.

Let's get this one off the assembly line and see what is what when it's done! Another option is trade value. Bartering is a thing. This is a great build.

Let's get this one off the assembly line and see what is what when it's done! Another option is trade value. Bartering is a thing. This is a great build.
    That sounds good AZ.

When trying to complete the prototype with the latest 3d parts, I broke the windshield bracket while removing it.

320.jpg

I printed another one and I snapped it with my fingers along the print line.

321.jpg

So I decided to change the direction of the print.

Here you can see the printing lines running along the shaft

322.jpg

Tried to snap it with my fingers and it would not snap.

The next scene contains subject that may not be suited to everyone. This is the result of torture using pliers, faint of heart beware.

323.jpg

The bracket resisted!

Are we back to inserting a metal pin? Sort of important, the foldable windscreen!

Are we back to inserting a metal pin? Sort of important, the foldable windscreen!
    There is no way to insert a pin in there, it's a weird curved shape and it's only 3mm diameter. But no worries, the new print orientation looks to be tough enough to keep the windscreen foldable.

324.jpg 325.jpg

I need to revisit the way the back and front portion of tub mate together.

I'm waiting for skin color filament to print the seats and the soft top.

Tuning in for my daily dose of what's good about this world and you've delivered again! How cool is that thing! Not being knowledgeable in gigantic torpedo launchers, is that armament to scale?!? Wtg man. Coming along.