Page 148 of 252 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158198248 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,480 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

I vote for a vacuum leak or maybe plugged off? When the engine is running good, then for no apparent reason, after a non specific time frame. When you pull the distributor to inspect, it runs great for a while. I would lean to a condenser if it was more of a consistent problem.

DID FIND ONE THING?? WHETHER OR NOT IT MAKES A HOOT??
    Have two distributors, distributor one the one that is in the motor now. Have to follow along now, when you manually move the rotor back and forth across the width of the weights like you are advancing it, there is a catch that prevents the rotor from going to full advance to no advance, does not stop it, and you can force your way thru it, but is sort of a catch, can feel it,, now only touching the rotor.
    distributor 2 which is one never used because some yahoo screwed up the 24volt input with some homemade piece of crap hookup. when that dist put in hole and cap rotated as in first dist there is no catch, can not feel anything at all slowing up or down as in the first one

My Plane: remove the guts of the offending distributor #1 includinh the 24vdc input thru cap on the side, then the plate and the, coil and then see what happens????

WHAT IS THE VALUE OF THIS?? IS IT REALLY NEEDED AND IS IT ANOTHER NOISE FILTER???
    https://www.kaiserwillys.com/24-volt...0-66-m38-m38a1 USING SIMPSON I GET A READING TO GROUND RESISTANCE WISE, THEN IT FALLS OFF.... SAME WITH VOLTAGE, THE BATTERIES IN SIMPSON MAKE IT DISCHARGE TO GROUND
    Last edited by pelago; 04-13-2019 at 04:58 PM.

You can't check a capacitor that way pelago. The Simpson (nice old VOM) charges the capacitor. The readings mean nothing. You need a scope to check capacitors.

The "catch" has to be the advance weights on the pins or more worn stuff down in the centrifugal advance mechanism. It sounds to me like that is the root of all the evil.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 04-13-2019 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    you can't check a capacitor that way pelago. The simpson (nice old vom) charges the capacitor. The readings mean nothing. You need a scope to check capacitors.

The "catch" has to be the advance weights on the pins or more worn stuff down in the centrifugal advance mechanism. It sounds to me like that is the root of all the evil.
    i agree, and have rebuilt the old distributor and it does not catch at all and is smooth on the physical advancing the weights, but going to wait til manana to try it

I would specifically check to see if when holding the removed distributor shaft straight up and down, the balance weights aren't dropping down and catching on the plate when you rotate the movement. Mine did this and, a few old Fords I have worked on did also. My motor did not run but, while rebuilding the distributor I found the same issue I had seen before. This locks up the movement. If you tighten the tension on the weights (bend the spring tabs out a little) this won't happen. There needs to be sufficient tension to hold the weight up high above the plate at the relaxed position. If you have to significantly bend the tabs, don't. They will hit inside the housing if you go to far. The springs would need replacing if you can't get there. Unfortunately to really check out the mechanical advance system complete disassembly is needed. You will have ti file the pin and pull the shaft. You probably already know this!

I'll bet you have found it. If that's it at least you will have a good spare distributor!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 04-13-2019 at 07:50 PM.

You will win this battle. With everything working smoothly on the advance, it will be running perfectly again. Bmorgil is right on the money.

Is this cap in line with 24vdc another noise suppressor?

I'm not tracking your question? Going back through the conversation, you had asked about the capacitor. Radio suppression is probably a slight benefit but only through controlling voltage spikes.

MIGHT NOT HAVE PUT IT IN RIGHT, ON THE SIDE OF THE DISTRIBUTOR IS A CONNECTION FOR24VDC, IT IS A CAP, NOT SURE OF ITS PURPOSE, REPLACEMENT IS CLOSE TO FIFTY BUCKS https://www.kaiserwillys.com/24-volt...38-m38a1...AND FOR THE LIFE OF ME I CAN NOT FIGURE OUT HOW THE ACTUAL VACUUM ADVANCE WORKS, THE DIST HAS TWO VACUUM PORTS AND THEY JUST LEAD TO THE CAVITY INSIDE THAT THE COIL AND THE WORKING PART SITS IN, NO DIAPHRAGM AT ALL ANYWHERE THAT WOULD WORK THE WEIGHTS USED TO A EXTERNAL DIAPHRAGM THAT CONNECTS TO VACUUM BUT THIS???

OK, time to eat a bit of crow. There is no vacuum advance in the 24 volt distributor. The advance is strictly centrifugal. The lines going to the distributor are strictly to vent the housing for fording. I should have figured this out sooner, but was paying more attention to the problem rather than to examine the workings of the 24 volt distributor. I have dealt with servicing the distributor, but haven't had to go any deeper then that. They are a fairly bulletproof system.

The condenser in question is the main link from the harness to the distributor. Ebay has them for twenty dollars. https://www.ebay.com/p/Jeep-Willys-M...7413680&chn=ps

https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=45150