Page 89 of 252 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139189 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

We haven't heard from you in a while.

Make a noise so we know you're OK ...

Dealing with insurance companies...........oh joy

They'll take your money, but when you need them, it takes way too long. Do you need anything?

Dealing with Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    Dealing with insurance companies...........oh joy
    "Hey guys, we've heard from Ira. He's OK. You need to bring his stuff back."

Ira, you recognize that statement - it's a joke...

It probably was easier to deal with the creepy-crawly critters that slithered out of the puddles than the insurance snakes.

We're thinkin' about you.

DSC02151.jpgDSC02176.jpgDSC02119.jpgDSC02164.jpg

i used a engine hoist to get tree off of truck,,, that is what i cooked on antenna ready for new rotator hy gain ham iv
    My late father was vice pres of a major ins company at end of wwii and he started his own busiiness in the garage in fifties, and was successful and i can remember many times being awakened late at night because one of his customers had a fire and we would go there and actually move them into a hotel that my dad paid for, this happened many times, Now, not a chance in hell of a ins agent doing anything but be a phone number
    will need a whole new roof over 300 tabs in yard holes in the roof, both tin porches gone and leak like a sieve, been waiting for three days for adjuster, this prick gives me any grief he will see the road real quick
    Last edited by pelago; 09-28-2018 at 11:52 AM.

Good to hear from you! How did your truck fair? Insurance isn't what it used to be.

believe me, am not getting a warm fuzzy feeling from the adjuster. not at all, had to pull three trees of the house, five rooms impacted by water intrusion from the roof leaks. dunno at all

getting back to the M38A1 for a bit, lets talk about the anatomy of the spark. I have the original spark plugs and have absolutely no idea how old they are, but the work? BUT seems like it is rather slow to kick, now the timing is not right can not get to 5degrees needed and will probably have to move the pump over one gear to achieve the timing (yuk and have to deal with a new oil pump gasket) but coil seems good, and do spark plugs get just plain old, hell i am 73 and things dont work right on me and the plugs as old as i am. but new set is 80 bucks

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    do spark plugs get just plain old
    Yeah, but they don't tend to wear out like we do.

M38A1 plugs are more kin to aircraft plugs that auto plugs because of the shielding on them. Folks tend to think the casing is for waterproofing, but you and I know it is for EMI suppression for the on-board radios.

The bottom end is like any other automotive plug though. The good news is that the EMI case protects the insulator and it is very unlikely to have a cracked insulator. Cross off one "wear-out" mode. The bottom end can be eyeballed to get an idea if it is worn out or not.

Jeeps are not at all demanding on plugs. If a plug looks good, it probably is. I made a quick sketch of things to look at. Years ago, every auto shop had a machine to clean plugs - it was a little abrasive blast cabinet. No more - it's easier to just replace them and really more cost effective to everyone.

Take a brass or stiff nylon tooth brush out of your gun cleaning kit and clean any loose carbon or wet fouling off the plug. With all the work you've done on the engine, you could have some crud build-up. Wet soot isn't good, dry soot is OK, grey is great.

Look at the pit around the insulator and make sure there is no crud in there (a toothpick is a good cleaner there - don't chip the ceramic). Look at the center insulator, no chips or cracks. How does the center contact look? It should have fairly sharp shoulders and edges, not rounded off like a firing pin. Last of all, how does the bridge contact (ground) look? It shouldn't be eroded or pitted.

Run a piece of emery through the contact gap and then a piece of paper to clean off any emery residue. Blow it off with air. Set the gap. My book for the F-134 says .030" for gap, but you're not doing precision machine work here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

In a pinch, on an M37, it flooded bad enough to darn near hydrolock. Didn't have the tool kit on board, but did have a cheap socket and a torch. Cut the innerdes out of the socket to allow the plug to fit through. Took the wrench and popped the plugs loose. Rolled the engine over and sprayed gas to the rafters. The torch burned off all the gas off the plugs and ran the torch across the plug holes to burn off any excess gas. The truck started just fine after putting the plugs back in. Moral of the story, Larry is correct, the plugs just don't seem to ever wear out.