Page 78 of 252 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128178 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

ah not sure, seem to still have infection in right calf at least it feels that way. damn diabetes gonna kill me i think. and then have afib which creates sluggishness and loss of any get up and go and sleep issues, dont want to rant but getting sick of being sick. just want to go out to garage and do stuff, ya know.........

Yeah - gettin' old isn't for sissies, but its way ahead of the other choice.

Here is some info I found somewhere... It's something out of a 1000+ page Army TM that dates back to the 1940's that covers just about everything you might find on a vehicle.

You'll need a copy of TM9-1825B Electrical Equipment (Auto-Lite) November 1952 or newer. Or TM9-1825A or C (can't remember) Electrical Equipment (Delco Remy). {That's the 1000+ page document}

If you have the Auto-Lite VBC4002UT or VBC4003UT look at the regulator from the side with the 2 electrical plugs to your left, the 3 major units are left to right: 1-Circuit breaker 2-Current regulator 3-voltage regulator.

Usually problems are just pitted or corroded contacts. File them very lightly with an ignition point metal file (or a girl's METAL finger nail file) then clean them by passing a tape of thin cloth soaked in carbon tetrachloride or any top quality electric contact cleaner. Run her and see what you get.

Adjustment is straight forward for each. Circuit breaker armature air gap .000 to .065 and contact point gap .035 min.

Current regulator armature air gap .047 to .049 and gap between contact spring and stop is .010 to .016.

Voltage regulator armature air gap is .040 to .042 and gap between contact spring and stop is .010 to .016.

Contact pressure for CR & VR is 7 to 8 OZ's. Circuit breaker operating ranges are:

Closing volts 25.7 to 26.7 and;

Opening amps (discharge) 7.0 to 11.0.

Current regulator operating amps 24.5 to 26.0.

Voltage regulator operating voltage at 70 Deg's is 28.30 + or - .40."

Probably too much information

wow. thats a lot, but will try, after i get the dam cover off, so far 4 hours of slide knife blade and tap tap tap with small mallet, just to start the separation, still have to cut off the one screw head with dremel cut off tool, and quite frankly this is so tiresome because the damn thing was working after a moment of running the regulator turned on ( i believe anyway because my simpson 260 at the 50volst scale would read 28 vdc at the battery) damn damn double damn. i so wanted to get on with the body but just can not push this thing out of garage until i am satisfied it is 100% ready to go, and it aint, fixing the leak in transmission was tiring. then i had a leak in the transfer case and i took it apart and ordered new seals, and when i took it apart there were zero shims in it then when it put it together Mike at Kaiser tells me should have 1 3thousand play in it, now got to drain it, take it apart and play with shims, not sure about that because there were no shims in it. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Well tmrw the 6VDC batt test, wish me luck, if i got voltage then regulator, did find one on ebay for 65.00

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    Well tmrw the 6VDC batt test, wish me luck, if i got voltage then regulator, did find one on ebay for 65.00
    Did you get the pin-up poster? If not, int qth?

pin up poster now on the wall in garage hanging over the work bench. apologize for my tardiness and thanks to all

back on topic gen/voltage reg.
    did the simple test, not wanting to weld anything i did the 6volt lantern battery deal. with engine running i momentarily touched the pos 6vdc to pin B that is the recognized correct pin while reading pin a tremendous rise in output of generator, did same on pin c again tremendous rise in voltage, was on 25volt scale on simpson and got almost 12 volts, while as in idle got low low voltage quickly shut down and looking like voltage reg went south on me

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-M37-J...Fay6df&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by pelago; 08-02-2018 at 12:35 PM.

Sounds like a regulator to me. That looks to be a good deal on the regulator. It looks to be new as they claim, whether it be a Depot refurbished or NOS, either way it should work well for you.

Great to have you back in action. Don't over do it though.

You wrote:

"did the simple test, not wanting to weld anything i did the 6volt lantern battery deal."

Technically you can do this with the 24V batteries, but if you have a shorted field coil, a lot of current goes somewhere with things evaporating in between. In many cases you can also do this by just grounding the field, but that depends on the residual magnetism in the pole pieces - questionable on something that has been sitting a long time.

The 6-volt battery test involves a couple of amps, not enough to do any welding. Had you run the engine up, you would have gotten a bunch of volts. One guy I am working with got about 40-volts off his 12-volt generator, but he is getting a negative voltage from his generator. Huh???

Meter leads are right, but he had the generator redone recently. He suspects field coils reversed. I suggested he take it back to the shop and have them check it on their bench and show him it works.

By the way, thank Amy @ KWAS for the poster! We started the project while you were in sick bay and we figured that was about as much excitement as you could share in today's politically correct world.

Get better!

The solid state regulator would be a good deal. It is more reliable. I saw the $65 eBay one, but it didn't have a cover, just the guts. It was a NOS unit, so if you salvage a cover, it would work too.

going to try one more time to get cover off the one that is in the jeep, will have to remove on screw head with dremel to do it, but then i can visually inspect and clean contacts, not real interested in rebuilding one, seems once you get inside of one of these things you keep finding more and more wrong

DAMN!!!! I GOT MOVEMENT ON SIMPSON 260 Was running the engine and looked down and was seeing spikes up to 28volts+ tapped on the regulator and got more spikes, did not stay up there but feel strongly that got to take cover off and get in there, contacts?? clean. first thing in morning will do so, maybe its cuz i put up the great get well card?? sadly to say that is only the 2nd one ever received in my life, but sure brought a smile