Page 47 of 252 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

Spent too much time thinking about the output side of the steering shaft, didn't think at all about the input end.

The folks at QTM sell good quality items. I purchase a fair amount of items from them for the M38A1 and the M151A2 that have been here. No complaints at all.

OK - NOW we understand.

Yeah, it looks like a good deal, especially NOS - no threads boogered or galled up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOQFBOVEZ6Q

I HATE THIS GUY>>>> But it do look nice

It does look nice, but it has a bad miss to the engine. Sounds like a good tune up, plug and wires, would do it some good. The oil pressure is low for as cool as it was running.

Syracuse, IN is about an hour or so west of me, so this guy is "local".

I agree, I noticed the miss, the low oil pressure (either low pressure or inoperative gauge) and I just don't like to rev them up that hard under no load.

I didn't see a radio harness either.

The metal work looks nice - a little character to the floor under the mat, but you get that.

Now that we've groused, all-in-all, a nice vehicle. But, Ira - yours will have more character, and you'll probably keep it.

wll, lets say i just dislike him intently..................sob does look nice, no ripples on the sides some on hood but still body looked great, yeah wondered about oil pressure

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...da&action=view

going to do this also
    Last edited by pelago; 04-03-2018 at 05:49 PM.

The body work is presentable. It does have some character, and would be a descent show/driver vehicle. The hood could have used a little extra attention. I just am not comfortable with the oil pressure. Whether it be a faulty gauge or a worn pump, I would want to resolve it before putting it up for sale. I am confident that your A1 will be a top shelf representation. Your attention to detail, and the fact that you are taking care of any deficiency that come up will pay off in the long run. Lesser restorers will be jealous of your work.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 04-04-2018 at 06:55 AM.

every resoration vehicle i have seen, (dont want to make it sound like i have seen hundreds, because i have not) all started with the frame. in that same video collection there is a "5 MINUTE" presentation of a restoration project. And they went to the frame and blasted it to white, just as i did. found some areas that needed attention and welded new steel there., but they were pretty minimal. every single item on this job has been sand blasted and primed, double primed and some have base coat of OLIVE drap **** green. all of the old cars i have seen, 20's 30's so forth all started from the frame up. I am hoping to actually have a museum grade restoration with a great running motor. My old school mechanic called me last night and said he found his lap tool and will be here saturday to do the valves. after watching some of the videos this did not seem to be a major operation, but before i gorp something up i want my instructor there.. think the old girl will be purring by sunday night (well not quite purring only muffler i have on it is 36" glass pack, have not bought exh system yet)

Lapping valves is fairly easy when you see what you want to happen, happen. It's good to have a seasoned eye showing you what to do. Good lapping compound, and a good suction cup dowel rod make life easier.
    You have done everything right, and you will be happy with your results.

new valves.jpg
    AM REALLY PUMPED.... new valves, lifters, all lined up all now adjusted to clearance. Engine is now back together, all internal wise. will hang stuff on it tomorrow and then start it up

turned out that lapping the valves probably easiest thing i heve did they all have good seal
    Last edited by pelago; 04-07-2018 at 04:01 PM.