Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: 1946 CJ-2A Slightly Above Stock

Looking good Joey!

Alright folks, I am back. It has been a wild year or so. When I left there was some happy news and unfortunately some very tragic things happened. Life gives you challenges and you overcome. So, that is all I am going to say about that.

I have since moved to north Alabama and to be honest am much happier here and out of Texas. I finally got the rig here just before Christmas and am starting the process of seeing how much damage the sitting has caused. First, fuel is an issue at this point. The inside of my pump was covered in white powder, so I went ahead and replaced that. I have checked all the lines and replaced the filter, but to no avail. The new pump just ain't pumping it seems. I have primed it, and pulled fuel through the line...the old fashioned way, not enjoyable as we all know. I just can't seem to get this one figured out. Unless, that new pump just doesn't work either. I have read about them and that is possible. The new pumps that get manufactured just don't come out to the specs they are supposed to. Plus, it isn't even the orginal glass bulb type...but it is the same pump that would fit on all our Jeeps up to about 71.

I may catch some flak for this but it is what I decided to go ahead and do. I purchased the electic fuel pump kit from Kaiser that deletes the orginal mechnical one. Alright, now bring on the words of wisdom that I know you all have.

JoeyD! Glad your back! Alabama is one of my favorite states. It has it all that's for sure, and warm Southern Hospitality.

Man I am betting you got a bad fuel pump. If it is it will be the third one I have heard about in the last year.

The electric fuel pump from KW is a TSP (Top Street Performance) micro pump. It has an operating pressure of 2 to 3.5 psi. It needs to be gravity fed. Make sure it is lower than the tank. They can be a little noisy and you can help that with some rubber under the mount. It should work great for you. Be sure to remove the mechanical pump and use the block off plate. The electric pump allows you to install a hidden switch to help deter thieves if you wish.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 01-10-2024 at 06:13 PM.

Bm...You are correct about that. It was one of the first things my wide mentioned and she is still getting used to all of the peopling...lol

I am going to take that one back and exchange it anyhow. The KW kits allows you to swap back pretty easy if you want to. Plus, I have alot about people running both.

I was certainly planning to put that as low as possible and removing the mechanical one. The kit comes with the block off plate as well.

Thanks for the wisdom as always and I will be back to let yall know how it goes. There are a couple of other things I can tinker with till the part comes in.

Good to hear Alabama is good for you all!

I would not run the mechanical pump and the electric pump at the same time. I would use the block off with the electric pump. If the diaphragm in the mechanical pump fails (they all eventually do), The pressure from the electric pump can quickly fill the crankcase with fuel. I have seen posts on forums where people do it. I don't believe it is a good idea. Fuel mixed with the oil will wipe out the bearings in a short period of time.

Welcome to Alabama Joey. The peopling is something one would have to get used to.

Gotcha BM, that is what I was thinking too. I am going to do just as you have mentioned.

GM, we really love it here. Got us a little piece of land outside of Huntsville, with a few animals. I'm teaching my city girl how to country. I also got a nice big garage now, so all of this Jeep maintenance can happen out of the weather.

Huntsville is a nice area, with plenty to do. When you get a chance, I highly recommend the Veteran's Museum in Huntsville. They have a lot of equipment stuffed into a fairly small building. Also, if you are up for an off road weekend, in June the Georgia Jeep Alliance has a weekend ride at Morris Mountain ORV park in Delta, AL. The weekend is a benefit that donates proceeds to Veteran causes. The girls and I are planning to bring the Heep out for it again this year.

https://georgiajeepallianceclub.com/jeep-invasion/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhpEPm6HAME
    Last edited by gmwillys; 01-12-2024 at 01:08 AM.

Now that sounds like a good time gm!

The stock friendly ride through the mountainside is pretty nice. There is only a couple spots that are slightly tricky, but very manageable with no locker or lift.