Thread: New to the forum and already have a question

New to the forum and already have a question

Hi all. I'm retired and in my mid 60s and bought a 1954 CJ3B to restore. So far it's been a lot of fun. I've taken it all down to the frame. I'm to the point where i'm putting the steering box back on and all the books and charts say to use SAE 80 in the box for lube but there is a grease fitting where the plug might be and when I took it apart there was grease inside. Do you think someone changed it over to grease and should I go back to oil? Any help would very much appreciated.
    Thank You
    Ken

Welcome zookeepwr,

It is common to find the grease fitting installed. The box developed a leak somewhere in history, and that was the simple solution. But, the grease does not get into all the vital areas where the oil would. Plus if you live in a cold climate, the grease will stiffen up when the temperature drops.

Steering Gear Lube

Quote Originally Posted by zookeepwr View Post
    Hi all. I'm retired and in my mid 60s and bought a 1954 CJ3B to restore. So far it's been a lot of fun. I've taken it all down to the frame. I'm to the point where i'm putting the steering box back on and all the books and charts say to use SAE 80 in the box for lube but there is a grease fitting where the plug might be and when I took it apart there was grease inside. Do you think someone changed it over to grease and should I go back to oil? Any help would very much appreciated.
    Thank You
    Ken
    The grease fitting fix was very common when the steering shaft oil seal and gasket started to leak. There are bearings at the top and bottom of the steering gear box and the upper bearings will not get proper lubrication with a grease filled steering gear box. If you decide to install a new set of seals and gaskets, check the shaft for wear or damage - on the '48 we had to do the job twice because we didn't catch how badly the old shaft was worn.

And, use new copper crush washers under the bolt heads when you put the cover back on.

Thank you for the help. I appreciate it.