Page 22 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: New to the Forum

Under Dash

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    The worst part is getting contorted to being able to get arms and at least one eye back behind the dash to run the wires. It is coming along nicely! The windshield frame came out really well!
    a

I've found that a set of reading glasses and a headlight help a lot.

Yes Sir
    I have them everywhere Larrbeard ( reading glasses that is), getting Old ain’t for sissy’s that’s for sure!!!

I use two of these ECFHKY Snap On Magnetic LED cordless lights and big readers! They are small and super bright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCPXO9rQvB0

Is it me or does it hurt more as a senior when the wrench slips and you punch the frame rail?
    Last edited by bmorgil; 05-25-2019 at 04:28 PM.

No your right bmorgil it does hurt more (and bleeds more when your on blood thinners) when your a senior

Does It Hurt More?

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Is it me or does it hurt more ...?
    The only advantage we have is that we have had enough hurts, cuts, scrapes, aches and pains so we are able to recognize when something serious is going on .....

When the old timers said you'll regret doing that,(insert anything here) they were right. After having about enough stitches to stitch a bag of baseballs, and enough casts to cover each limb, it takes some inspiration to get moving in the morning.

If I was rolling in money, I would seriously consider having some double byfocal glasses made, (the magnifier lens at the bottom, then another at the top. Way to often, I struggle to get things in focus above my head, or laying up under something.

Painter's Glasses

" ...I would seriously consider having some double byfocal glasses made, .."

What you are describing are called "Painter's Glasses".

Think about a painter atop a ladder having to look up to do close detail work.

Makes sense. Our metal shop teacher had a set, because he insisted that every weld pass made, had to be overhead.

I got a price from a local chassis builder to build a roll cage on my "Money Pit before I send the tub out to get it powder coated" and he almost took my breath away, he said "well if you want it nice" (like i wanted him to do a sh&^$ty job) it will be somewhere between $3,500 & $4,000.
    After taking a deep breath,gulping 4-5 times and watching the Brides eyes roll around like she was married to a Crazy Man.......... I figured I would look around on the internet, lo and behold I found a place in Iowa that pre-bends and pre-notches 2" tubing for almost any make and model Heep.
    So I ordered a kit from him "extremecustomparts.com" and he offers FREE delivery all for less than $1,000. I figured I could tack it all together and take it to a weld shop and have them Tig weld it all to make it look like someone knew what they were doing!!!

IMG_0241 (2).jpgIMG_0242 (2).jpgIMG_0243 (2).jpgIMG_0244 (2).jpgIMG_0245 (2).jpg
    Last edited by TJones; 05-31-2019 at 07:43 AM.

TJones, I am not sure where you are going to get the TIG work done but, you may want to check out your project with them. I had some custom stainless offshore racing exhaust made for a powerboat. Just the pipes from the headers through the hull. They are water cooled and pressurized. I used kind of the same concept you are using. I machined and assembled the pieces and took them to the weld shop. TIG work can be expensive. The welding was over $1000 many years ago. I can tell you that some of the modern MIG machines do a great good looking job. MIG does have more spatter but, it can be cleaned up easily. MIG might be more practical. It does not look like the hand welded TIG work of an experienced TIG welder, it is very smooth when done right however.