Page 170 of 252 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180220 ... LastLast
Results 1,691 to 1,700 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

Silicon - Unobtainium Alloy Transistors

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Unobtainium is a perfect term around here. I see it used constantly.
    I’ve just got to tell this story:

In the early 1970’s I was working on a proposal for some aircraft radio system on which Magnavox (the company name that year) was teaming with another company as a bidder. We were writing proposal sections under impossible deadlines and trying to write “here is how we are going to do it” stories quicker than the real engineers could finish analyses of what was possible.

I was writing a transmitter section and every analysis we had done indicated that the transistors were going to be way too hot to meet the reliability guidelines we had been assigned. It was about two o’clock in the morning and in weak moment I made the statement that we would meet the derating spec by using high temperature silicon-unobtainium alloy final devices in the transmitter. (I honestly don’t know if I had ever heard the term before, I may be a co-inventor…). I knew full well that one of the staff reviewers would catch that remark and I would have to rewrite it the next day – but it was getting to be Oh-light-thirty and I was out of ideas.

By the next day another panic hit and I never revisited the unobtainium section. The proposal draft was sent off to the integration team at the prime contractor (it may have been Sylvania) and folks started to pull things together. Someone found the phrase about 1:00 AM in another all nighter session. As I found out later, the prime contractor threw a fit – but as more people read the section it got funnier and funnier and people ended up in a case of the sillies.

It actually led to folks taking a look at what were patently unrealistic reliability specifications and modifying several sections to reflect reality. I got the Golden Pencil Award for that proposal – a badly gnawed #2 Yellow Pencil with No Eraser glued to a scrap of plywood with a marking pen inscription.

I would probably get fired for that today. People take things ‘way too seriously. As I once told the boss of the month “Don’t take yourself so seriously, sir. Nobody else does.”

"I’ve just got to tell this story"
    Way cool, should have sent the thing to Collins radio!!..
    wish I still had my KWM2A, actually had one in the travel case with pwr supply and full crystal pak,, got stolen by movers on household move and i could not get full value from gov when i reported it....

Collins KWM-2A

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    ... should have sent the thing to Collins radio!!.. wish I still had my KWM2A,
    A. Collins was our primary competitor in the UHF aircraft radio business. Magnavox and the succeeding companies did not do HF radios and we only did VHF-FM (30 -88 MHz) as a repackage of VRC-12 modules into the ARC-131/FM-622 helicopter radio. Probably the high point of my career was when we put the ARC-187 into just about every P-3C in the world - a Navy aircraft that had been a Rockwell/Collins platform for years.

B. But, having said that - Collins built great HF radios. The KWM-2A was a neat package of radio. I wish I had one too.

How is Jake doing?

OK fellas, my father communicated with his parents from Korea via HAM radio! low AM frequency "skipped" around the atmosphere. His best buddy was involved with the early "Short Wave" stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    OK fellas, my father communicated with his parents from Korea via HAM radio! low AM frequency "skipped" around the atmosphere. His best buddy was involved with the early "Short Wave" stuff.
    WAS INVOLVED IN NAVMARCORMARS FOR MANY MANY YEARS I ran the largest tty and phone patch station in the world, we had 46 acres of antennas five three curtain rhombics pointed from antartica to east coast to far east
    three 100 foot towers with 7-30mhz log periodics on them. Dipoles all over the plqde. station open 24/7 ran thousands and thousands of phone patches all over the world.

HERE IS WHERE I AT
    ordered steel fuel lines rubberlines just no gonna work. oil pressure gauge itself is so sluggish, just old i think because when put a simpson across the sending unit it responds so good... temp sending unit just sort of sits there and does nothing..... Foot area covered with same coating as underneath only olive drab and it comesout real close to the original paint. sort of in holding mood tires next and title

WAS INVOLVED IN NAVMARCORMARS FOR MANY MANY YEARS I ran the largest tty and phone patch station in the world, we had 46 acres of antennas five three curtain rhombics pointed from antartica to east coast to far east
    three 100 foot towers with 7-30mhz log periodics on them. Dipoles all over the plqde. station open 24/7 ran thousands and thousands of phone patches all over the world.
    My father would have loved to meet you! He was deeply involved in Amateur radio. It was his favorite hobby. He was big in 2 meter FM. His skills in electronics was phenomenal.

Steel lines are a good choice. I don't know what its like on your Willys, but on mine it was tough to install. I would have been way ahead to put the fuel line in when the body was off and the master cylinder was not in. I waited till I had the body on and the tank in. Wow it was impossible to get that thing in there. I ended up loosing the master cylinder. It was still very difficult If I did it over again, I would cut, flare and splice the line with a union.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 07-24-2019 at 08:22 AM.

WAS INVOLVED IN NAVMARCORMARS FOR MANY MANY YEARS
    \

Ex N0AAR, N0NPE, N0GAQ2/2,N0ASG/4 plus Custodian at several shipboard stations that are long forgotten. I ran the 4B1B Indiana Traffic Net for several years - probably served as the termination for your TTY traffic. Long gone - the internet killed MARS.

Now - new question about Max Magoo's oil gauge issues:

The Jeep is an early M38A1 as I recall, with the Douglas connectors. Is it a 60 PSI or 120 PSI gauge/sender pair?

My latest Science Project has been trying to understand the oil gauge transitions as the M38-series evolved. Early M38's had 60 PSI gauges with Douglas connectors. As things transitioned, they ended up with 120 PSI gauges and Packard connectors.

Probably the most useful gauge/sender combination would be a 60 PSI system (you can just see what is happening in the engine better with a 60 PSI gauge) - the 120 doesn't tell you much at hot idle.

The bad news is that I can't find a 60 PSI sender/gauge pair with Douglas connectors, it would need you to put a female Packard connector on the vehicle wiring harness, either as a splice or as a jumper cable.

The best choice for a gauge is an MS24541-2 gauge (Indicator, Pressure: 24 volt DC, Range 0-60 PSI). Here is a source for a genuine MS gauge - there are a couple of different configurations of the face and dial but the MS drawing allows that variation.

https://www.easternsurplus.net/PartD...e-Gauge-60-PSI

It needs to be tied to a 0-60 PSI Sender, MS24538-1 (Transmitter, Pressure - 24 volt DC 60 PSI). Mike has that MS P/N, KWAS 8376490.

The gauge has been a pain, but that is probably the ONE gauge you want to be right!

great advice on oil pressure, yeah it is a stinker
    new item
    Obtained a title, got plates, whole process ad NCDMV $493.70 that did include a custom plate 52-M38A1 that will arrive in a couple of weeks. but have temp tags now and registration.......

NEW ITEM
    What would the ohmic value of temp sending unit at ambient or cold tem. and what should it be at say 175 degrees F

I may be mis evaluating what i have? using the original sending unit and a new meter
    when hooked up to sending unit it just sits there and does not move, but when i put a simpson on the sending unit and reading at X100 value i get following
    at ambient temp of 68 deg f (air temp outisde early morning 68d f) i get 6k
    at ambient temp of 91 deg f (aair temp oudside at noon 91 d f) i get 5k
    after 10 min warm up engine on i get 1.5 k
    after 20 min warm up enging on i get 1.1k
    what do you think????
    sending unit working okay and meter movement not right?

JUST REPEATED TEST.... KINDA WARM OUT AND ENGINE HAD NOT REALLY COOLED DOWN MUCH FROM RUNNING HOUR OR MORE AGO
    WHEN RUNNING AT SOMEWHAT FAST IDLE ENGINE TEMP SENDING UNIT WAS READING 1.1K AND DIGITAL ELEDTRONIC SENSOR SAID 168 DEGREES AT THE SENDING UNIT AND AT THERMOSTAT

motor off for 45 minutes, and now reading 4.5K
    Last edited by pelago; 07-25-2019 at 02:43 PM.

Interesting.
    had to connect ground to all things in the instrument panel, ssince ground is ground the world around but not on the instrument package for the m38a1. now is at chassis ground and all lights and whistles work including new oil pressure guage, start up and its at high 50, after a warm up it sits at 30