Page 90 of 252 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140190 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

Talk to Us ...

It's been almost three weeks and we've heard nothing.

I know you're up to your eyeballs trying to fix things, but make a noise again to let us know you're OK - or pop some smoke so we can find you.

what color?? been dealing unsuccessfully with insurance assholes, 2600.00 deductible to start and they left half of destroyed personal property off... filed claim 31 days ago and no check. to top it all off the dam gear box leaks like a sieve. gasket at the seal at the pitman arm i think. damn damn damn. gear lube ll over garage floor, got to get under neath and then clean it add more lube and wach for damn leak. have another gear box but am just pissed

Pop some violet, it will be easier to see you from afar. Insurance agents are happy to take your money, but slow to give it back. I wonder if the pitman arm shaft is grooved, causing the seal to not seal? Not the end of the world. Napa should be able to set you up with a speedy sleeve repair kit, for not a lot of cash.

Keep your head up. It will get better.

Purple Haze and Leaky Sector Shafts

Amazing how often we agree!...

GMWillys said pop violet smoke - I was going to say purple. It will match the color of your face when you talk to the insurance guy...

About steering gear boxes. Like you, we put things back together and had a leak around the sector shaft. We had to take things back apart and found that the shop doofus had put the old, worn, steering sector back into the gear box. There was just a little wear on the shaft that let oil seep past things.

It's good to hear from you and we're glad things are well enough under control that you can at least look at the Jeep.

as we type am getting a new complete steel roof, lifetime warranty, but which life mine or the roof??? okay making room for the entire gear box shaft and all, when i put it together i did not put new bushings in because manual said to check for sloppy movement and i had none, and the little ball on the end is in great shape and not worn at all, so i think the two bushings and a new sealer and good to go??? but might have to make a new gasket (not hard but time consuming because cant rush that, little tiny ball peen hammer and beat the edges out) but when i fill it up with gear lube it just comes out the shaft, now i have another complete steering box, and does the video show how to remove the bushings, am a virgin on removing bushings... and another issue creeped in had the carb rebuilt, and i did not start the thing during the storm so it had not been run for a month, started it up and all of a sudden gas came pouring out the top of the carb where the vent line attaches, and had to push accelerator 1/2 way to keep it running. this just happened, but one good thing the fella that rebuilt it stands on his work,,, and prior to this it ran good idled at about 600rpm and had plenty of get up and to, now it runs like ****

The float is stuck on the carb. The needle is not seated, and when the fuel pump fills the bowl, the fuel continues to fill until it comes out the vent. A quick fix is to tap the bowl with something blunt. A hammer will do, just be careful to not tap too hard, enough to leave a mark. Your carb guy can have it sorted out within minutes. maybe there was a bit of moisture that settled in and gummed up the float shaft.

Most military steering boxes are in fairly good shape, because of the low mileage. Now the sector shaft leaking isn't an uncommon problem. Mud, dirt, and dust has worked its way into the seal and grooved the shaft. You don't have to change out anything, just take the seal down to Napa, and they can set you up with a speedi-sleeve, Redi-sleeve. They are simple to install over your existing sector shaft, and will give the seal a smooth surface to ride on. Below is a National Bearing listing for their Resi-sleeve. It is not the correct one you need, but it gives you the idea of what to look for. The cup is the installation tool, and the other is the sleeve itself. Once you Loctite the sleeve in place, the lip is removed. Then you install your seal. Job done, and no more leak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XIjYuhxKsw

https://www.fmmotorparts.com/fmstore...6#.W8jGKmeWzt4

carb as was suggested had a gorped up valve and float? took my friend mike 82 seconds to fix it, now it purrs. dont have a tachometer but idle maybe 600rpm. exh pretty clean no smoke at all, after it was started it blew some blck carbon out, well more than some, but it is cleaned out. damn wish i could drive it. now to tackle the steering box, and going to napa and take my spare box with me and look at the speedi sleeve, undecided, only want to to this once....

oh yeah BTW have a new steel roof, (hunter green to match the trim) both porches and all, and it rained last night and could stnd on porch and not get soaked from leaks

Getting Back to the New Normal

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    oh yeah BTW have a new steel roof, (hunter green to match the trim) both porches and all, and it rained last night and could stnd on porch and not get soaked from leaks

We're glad to hear that things are settling down a bit. The crew here was really concerned about you and it's nice to hear that your biggest worry right now is a leaky steering box.

Do you have an antenna back up? We had 50+ MPH winds Saturday and I lost the support on one end of the wire and it managed to whip itself around the top of the tower. I'll need my neighbor's bucket truck to unwrap it. It's good to have neighbors with big toys like that.

Dropping the five element soon and new rotor

Went to napa and inquired about the new sleeve, whew 51 bucks