Thread: Virtual Willys MB

Hybrid View

This is just like stepping into an engineering meeting on the chassis!

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    But with nobody arguing who has the better design....

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    But with nobody arguing who has the better design....
    It's called "Preliminary Concept Review"; Been there; refereed that - several times.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Looking good BB. Just think where technology will be in another 10 years.
    I agree 10 years is quite a long time. 10 years ago, in the hobbyist guitar building space a CNC was an odd view. It was considered cheating. A lot less mojo in a guitar cut by a machine holding the router instead of a human holding the router. Go figure. Anyways, 6 Years ago I built my CNC, sold it in January. CNC is now considered another normal tool in the arsenal of guitar building.

It's the same with 3D printing, as price goes down, and quality of parts goes up, in ten years, a 3D printer will be a common household appliance. People will print parts instead of buying them. Specialized website already offer millions of 3D printable designs for free. No need to learn to design. All you need to do is search and print.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    That is a fun thought.

Quote Originally Posted by 5JeepsAz View Post
    I like this. An expert panel at work, providing appropriate guidance to the genius at work. BB did you say this is not actually building the model yet. This is like a dry run? Because there's a market for the first mock up guaranteed. dont be throwing stuff out!
    It's a good thing I have all of you as expert to help me. I'm only a copycat. Wouldn't be able to come up with a design on my own. Mechanical concept and movement amazes me, but I have little understanding of them.

It's a work in progress. Parts that do no longer fit are discarded. Today I should start printing the current version of the frame in 1:6 scale because I modified the shock brackets. The old ones will be thrown away. I'm keeping the actual crossmembers. So there is no actual mockup to keep. Random pieces here and there being replaced as I go. I'm going to end up with a box full of miscellaneous parts that do not fit together. Are you suggesting I hold to them? I already have discarded the first revision of parts.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    The only thing in those photos that would give away the fact that we are not looking at a real chassis is the jackstands. They need to be two or three colors, a bit rusty and scratched up.

You could Photoshop that in a picture of GMWilly's driveway and people would believe he has another project under way.
    I need to print bigger jackstand for the 1:6 scale and wanted to paint them red and black. Some people are taking this miniature world very seriously.

Here's a picture of someone's miniature garage tools.

098.jpg

Printed the 1:6 scale spring. I'm still impressed by the difference in size of the two scales. The spring takes all the print bed space. I love that scale because it looks even more realistic.

097.jpg