Page 57 of 252 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

One thing i noticed when i pulled the plugs after the short period that the engine was running... Damn were they carbond up, could scrape it off with fingernail, think it was the worst that i ever saw, with the beat up carb sure must have been running rich. and would it go thru gas 4 gallons in less than two hours running.
    order list sent off today
    carb kit
    points, rotor and cap
    oil pump repair kit (leaked on outside gasket, bad)
    new plug wires
    complete exhaust system (be glad to trash that short little firecracker glasspak)

got two carbs, took one apart and compared to the other one, seems to be coupld missing pieces and parts, but that will get sorted out, should have one good one out of two and the other one will be sent to that guy in ashboro for a rebuild he said he had all pieces and parts...

STEERING moving this thing without a steering wheel is kind of a pain in the butt. the wheel and the column need support from the dash, anyone got a suggestion that could allow steering to be connected while still in "frame and engine" mode??

As long as you use two hands on the steering wheel, you should not have an issue in steering. I have not removed the steering column on most of the M38A1 I have dealt with. The support at the dash is minimal, and as long as the steering gear box is mounted solid, there shouldn't be a problem. The transmission tunnel cover is big enough to allow the steering wheel to pass through, when pulling the tub.

Another option is to purchase or fabricate some car dollies. With the four swivel wheels on each wheel, you can maneuver the chassis in any direction, without having to jockey it back and forth. They are worth the money, but the cheap ones do not like having a Chevelle with a big block installed on them. It takes two people to move that tank around. The last picture are of the car dollies at work, when I was working on the tear down of our wagon.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Automotive-Do...506/bn_1880704
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 05-01-2018 at 06:30 AM.

Gmwillys = spring hangers

Spring brackets.20180501_101744.jpg

Spring brackets.20180429_065903.jpg

Spring brackets.20180501_101754.jpg

What a mess!

This is what i started with
    100_0993.jpg 100_0991 (800x600) (2).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    as long as you use two hands on the steering wheel, you should not have an issue in steering. I have not removed the steering column on most of the m38a1 i have dealt with. The support at the dash is minimal, and as long as the steering gear box is mounted solid, there shouldn't be a problem. The transmission tunnel cover is big enough to allow the steering wheel to pass through, when pulling the tub.

Another option is to purchase or fabricate some car dollies. With the four swivel wheels on each wheel, you can maneuver the chassis in any direction, without having to jockey it back and forth. They are worth the money, but the cheap ones do not like having a chevelle with a big block installed on them. It takes two people to move that tank around. The last picture are of the car dollies at work, when i was working on the tear down of our wagon.

https://www.ebay.com/b/automotive-do...506/bn_1880704
    \never knew that thes dollys existed. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm