Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: RANCHO suspension... WHY did I do this?

Appreciate where you are in the process! Since you've been here some years now, it's good to know a newer person like me has so much to look forward to. Interested to see you have little parts and pieces lined up. I have same. The original house phone for mine. Going to convert to modern guts so it'll be a hands free device. Soon as I get to it... Hope you are feeling better day by day

Thought I'd post something relevant to the topic I started!
    Since the jeep is "running" now, I'm back to dealing with my bucking bronco Rancho suspension that I hate now. Funny, when I was 17 it was fun to bounce and jerk around while driving: it seemed to get attention too, as if I was the bull rider being watched by an audience of regular drivers. And I just reviewed this thread, re-reading bmorgil's post:
    "...Bull Riders, their heads snapping back and forth and back and forth, slow motion back and forth. Their heads snapping chin to chest back of their head to their shoulders..."
    So anyway... I got a decent set (I hope) of old leaf springs, hand picked just for me by a jeep restoration guy in Oregon - Toledo Oregon, of all cities. The irony! I'm to use the "more arched" ones on the drivers side, I was told.
    I've brushed and buffed them and they're ready for paint. I had already bought a can of decent (works on rust) paint. Last night I decided to just spray one just to get started but ran into a problem before I even began.
    You know those damn "secure" paint can caps that just refuse to pop off? Well this one was being stubborn.
    I gave it some slight force at the prying point. Not only did it NOT come off, but it somehow stayed on, still stuck, but managed to push the valve forward. So I'm hearing this "SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS" sound and, one second later, there's my paint... running out from under the cap and all over my hands. Another shoe drop?
    After clean up (my hands are still black at the finger tips) I did spray one side. I'll get to the rest tomorrow.
    Unfortunately I still can't install them because the shackles I need are back ordered, by everyone. They're on eBay but I'm not paying $34 each!
    I'll just work on other things... squeaks, clicks, whirrs, etc...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark J; 07-18-2021 at 11:11 AM.

The gremlins are throwing shoes!

Hahaha, no "bull riding" after neck surgery!

Know what you are talking about exactly when dealing with spray bombs. I was working on a A/C tractor job a while back. Stepped up and bought the Allis Chalmers orange cans from TSC. Just needed to touch up a few spots on the front weight, and went to spray..... Nothing. Shook the daylights out of the can, warmed the can, cleaned the tip, and still nothing. Pellet rifle and a 5 gallon bucket did the trick. Only bad thing it was a one time use.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Pellet rifle and a 5 gallon bucket did the trick. Only bad thing it was a one time use.
    NICE!!! I really wanted to fire a bullet in this crappy paint can, bought at ACE hardware. Luckily the second can worked and I avoided painting myself!

I once knew a guy who took a fire axe to a full can of expandable foam out of pure frustration. It did not end well. The range that a sudden release of pressurized foam is pretty impressive.

Glad you were able to have one can of paint work.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    I once knew a guy who took a fire axe to a full can of expandable foam out of pure frustration. It did not end well. The range that a sudden release of pressurized foam is pretty impressive.

Glad you were able to have one can of paint work.
    I recently did have a fight with an expandable foam can! Stupid built in "straw" kept clogging up so I cut it shorter and shorter and it kept a' coming out! I guess I should have held it upside down and sprayed but I got so damn frustrated with all that stupid stick goo all over my fingers, and just tossed it back on a shelf.
    Hmmm I do have a hatchet...

I will eventually post on my suspension, but like many others, I'm still waiting on availability of shackles. I miss the days when there were actual stores, that had stuff. Now it seems all these so-called stores are just fronts or distributors who drop-ship, and that includes a lot of establishments that I thought were actual JEEP parts places. Hell... some of the parts I need show up on the Walmart site!
    "Hi - My name is Mark and my jeep is being rebuilt with Chinese parts from Walmart."
    Anyway, I've buffed all the rust off my old-new springs - they're shiny and black ready to suspend my jeep in the future. Soon I hope because I can't take riding this bucking bronco much longer. Oh those speed bumps hurt!

And, FINALLY after over a year since I started this thread, my shackles have arrived. I tried three different US sellers (including Kaiser first) for getting these blasted things. Kept waiting and waiting, getting the runaround. Two companies said on their site "IN STOCK," but they were backordered and I was never notified. Finally I gave up and ordered them from a company in India. The seller replied very quickly to my message and his were actually in stock. I paid probably at least $40 more for these but, shockingly, they arrived in about a week and a half... FROM INDIA. I'm quite excited to get this new/old springs in, because I'm really tired driving and having my head snapping back and forth, back and forth, back and forth...
    I'm still amazed at how fast this arrived, faster than many US sellers. And check out the address - "near oil pump...'
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good news Mark! It looks like they got a plane ride.