PDA

View Full Version : New to the Forum

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

TJones
03-12-2020, 07:11 AM
Not yet Larry, I need to take it over to my Buddy's and get it all wired up after she gets all dressed up.
There is a boat load of wiring that needs to go in it for the Sniper EFI system and he retired from IBM as the head of their electrical engineering dept.
I think he is more excited about getting it over to his place to start on it than I am of finishing it.
Back in our Jeep racing days he built a CJ-3A with a Grand National motor in it that he put twin turbos on it and it ran like a raped ape, he called it "Blue Bayou" and it was very fitting bc he rarely lost a race:D

bmorgil
03-12-2020, 07:12 AM
This is so exciting! Man that thing looks Bad A**!

gmwillys
03-12-2020, 03:29 PM
Looking good! I really like the tub cart. Definitely sturdy enough.

TJones
03-13-2020, 04:05 AM
Gm that is the body guy’s cart he built a few years back and it worked perfect
Speaking of him, he has either a 72 or 74 CJ-5 which ever year was the first year they put a V-8 in them he wants sell. I’ll get some pictures if anyone knows of somebody looking for a project to start.

gmwillys
03-13-2020, 05:15 AM
If the CJ5 is an '74 orange Renegade with the Jeep Ansen kidney bean aluminum wheels, I don't need to know about it. I need another Heep like we need more rain.

TJones
03-13-2020, 06:20 AM
Worked until 8:30 last night getting everything squared up on the frame, it's all downhill from here!!!!

bmorgil
03-13-2020, 07:52 AM
Condolences to the wife, she wont be seeing you for awhile.

okiemark
03-13-2020, 08:34 AM
That looks great!

TJones
03-13-2020, 12:38 PM
Condolences to the wife, she wont be seeing you for awhile.

Probably right there Bob, hell came in last night and she was sleeping on the couch.
It won't take long now, just a lot of bolting things on it most of the hard work is done........
I HOPE;):confused:

gmwillys
03-13-2020, 06:25 PM
You'll be out road running by the time the roads get cleaned off.

TJones
03-15-2020, 04:28 AM
Got a question for all you guy’s!!!
I have a steering wheel for sale on Willy’s for Sale that came off my project when I got it “a 52 M38” and a guy in Florida is interested in it. He’s got a “Spotless 51 M38” his is 17”s in diameter and mine is 13”s and they both say Sheller on a spoke on the back.
Which one is correct and where does the incorrect one belong?

TJones
03-15-2020, 04:32 AM
Here’s his WOW it’s sharp

bmorgil
03-15-2020, 05:36 AM
gm will know, or this is one of the best Military Jeep sites.

https://g503.com/

gmwillys
03-15-2020, 11:02 AM
The 17" is the correct diameter for the '46 2A through the early Cj5 Jeeps. This includes the M38 and M38a1. The WWII jeeps did use a smaller diameter wheel, but it was a different style than the later jeeps. They did not have plastic covering the spokes, but just the outside diameter has the plastic covering. These were 15" in diameter.
Scheller made steering wheels for a lot of different applications from lawn tractors to construction equipment, so it would be difficult to figure what exactly a 13" steering wheel would fit. The bonus to using a 13" wheel on a power steering equipped jeep would be that you would retain the look of the original, but you wouldn't need the leverage of the original sized wheel.

TJones
03-15-2020, 03:27 PM
Thanks GM that cleared it up, I can’t figure out where that 13” wheel came from.

TJones
03-15-2020, 06:34 PM
Made a lot of headway today.

gmwillys
03-15-2020, 07:02 PM
She is really coming together!

bmorgil
03-15-2020, 07:12 PM
Oh man... that is looking so AutoRama! Sweet indeed!

TJones
03-16-2020, 06:32 AM
Thanks Guy's!!!!
Couldn't have done it without all your answers to stupid questions, the Great ideas you guys gave me to make it what it has turned out to be, and of course last but not least all the Positive Encouragement!!!!
I also need to Thank all the Patients of my Bride "the one sitting on her phone in the background trying to come up with something to personalize on the license plate":rolleyes::)
Love that Girl!!!!

bmorgil
03-16-2020, 07:33 AM
Interesting photo over the brides right shoulder... I hope you bought that! If not, she could be telling you something!

TJones
03-16-2020, 09:14 AM
That was given to me by Marilyn Wright, it was Chuck Wright the founder of Pro Car and that was his favorite sign language :)
If you knew Chuck it was so fitting for his personality!!!
Marilyn had it painted from an old picture she had of her husband, after he passed away she gave it to me for my new garage.
He was a Great Guy and knew more about motors than probably anyone I’ve ever known.

gmwillys
03-16-2020, 11:28 AM
I think all of us who knew a go-to engine guy, have the same mental picture. They were all cut from the same cloth, but they are a dying breed. Your painting is a fitting tribute to anyone who chose to think outside the box.

LarrBeard
03-16-2020, 03:38 PM
Interesting photo over the brides right shoulder... I hope you bought that! If not, she could be telling you something!

I had noted the picture earlier, but in the interest of decorum I had decided not to comment on it (yeah, sure).

I thought it interesting that the bride finally realized that the only way she was going to get time with TJ just now was to read her book in the garage with him!

TJones
03-17-2020, 05:01 AM
Actually Larry she was on her phone and the only way I could get her out there was to text her and ask her if she’d bring me a couple beers cause I was out in my garage :cool::D

bmorgil
03-17-2020, 06:13 AM
the only way I could get her out there was to text her and ask her if she’d bring me a couple beers cause I was out in my garage :cool::D

Woe...... I mean Woooeeeee, "bring me a beer?" Anybody else hear that?

TJones
03-17-2020, 06:30 AM
I learned a new word " Sensuous"
Sensuous you was up Baby can you bring me a beer??:p:p

bmorgil
03-17-2020, 07:12 AM
Keep it up.... she will teach you a "new word".

gmwillys
03-17-2020, 01:08 PM
That's why I have a larger fridge in the garage-ma-hall, then in the house.

TJones
03-18-2020, 06:20 AM
Keep it up.... she will teach you a "new word".

Believe me she has taught me a few new words Bob!!!

TJones
03-18-2020, 08:05 PM
Got a little bit of a set back tonight............
Was trying to bleed my slave cylinder for the clutch and messed with it and messed with it finally I got it to take fluid and looked down and it was running out of the back where the push rod comes out so crawled underneath it and took it off got it up on the bench and the damn thing didn't have a piston in it.
Sooooo I have to call Novak in the morning and find out WTF is going on with that.
Bout the time you think your making headway you take 1 step forward and get backed up 10.

bmorgil
03-19-2020, 06:26 AM
OMG! How in thee he## did they leave the piston out on a brand new assembly? Wow! I would hope they will be glad to send you a new one free of charge. A voucher for beer for your labor would be a good gesture.

TJones
03-19-2020, 06:48 AM
OMG! How in thee he## did they leave the piston out on a brand new assembly? Wow! I would hope they will be glad to send you a new one free of charge. A voucher for beer for your labor would be a good gesture.

Got me Buddy, i can tell you I was not a very Happy Camper about 8:30 last night.
Found another little (maybe Big) problem when I took the bracket that holds the slave cylinder off, the throw out arm fits on a ball (the pivot point of the TOA and is held there with a high tensile spring) but the throw out arm came off the ball and when I took the slave cylinder off the throw out arm fell to the bottom of the bell housing OMG what a nightmare this has turned into.
Now the tub needs to come back off and tranny/transfer case unbolted from the bell housing to figure out what is going on in there.
Like I said 1 forward and 10 back.

LarrBeard
03-19-2020, 07:14 AM
Do you remember the cartoon where Bugs Bunny was a test pilot and the airplane was infested by a "Gremlin".

Well, it looks like the Jeep Gremlin has moved out of Pelago's shop and taken up residence in Ohio.

okiemark
03-19-2020, 08:43 AM
Have any of you ever heard this statement. "Hmmm, that's the first time I've seen that." Well, I have, about a thousand times.

TJones
03-19-2020, 08:45 AM
Do you remember the cartoon where Bugs Bunny was a test pilot and the airplane was infested by a "Gremlin".

Well, it looks like the Jeep Gremlin has moved out of Pelago's shop and taken up residence in Ohio.

That's no S*&t Larry, I have watched Pelago's problems and thought to myself how in the world does someone deserve that much grief and aggravation but now I am starting to ask what "plane am I on":mad::rolleyes:

TJones
03-19-2020, 08:48 AM
Have any of you ever heard this statement. "Hmmm, that's the first time I've seen that." Well, I have, about a thousand times.

Seriously okiemark, I bet I have bought 150 master cylinders and I have NEVER taken the boot off to make sure it has a piston in it.......

TJones
03-19-2020, 09:01 AM
I think I have figured out part of my problem with Novak Conversions, I ordered a HCRC-34 for a Chevy Bellhousing and what they sent me was a HCRB-34 for a Buick Bellhousing and if you get on their website and look at the 2 the Chevy is a longer throw out arm than the Buick and that I'm thinking is why it came off the ball.
I never checked it when it came I just put it on the shelf until I was ready to install it.
Oh well it's been 2.5 years what's a couple more days, might be quarantined to my Garage-Ma-Hall anyway if this virus thing doesn't get straightened out shortly.
Better stock up on Heineken I guess!!!!!

gmwillys
03-19-2020, 03:53 PM
Once upon a time there was a local liquor store that would deliver...… Definitely not here in the bible belt.

bmorgil
03-19-2020, 05:01 PM
OH NOOOO gm!!! Do you have something to ferment? Cider perhaps? Maybe make a little Apple Jack?

TJones
03-19-2020, 06:57 PM
Got her fixed without taking the tranny out, a clip on the ball was bent!!!!!
Called Novak and they are overnighting a new slave cylinder to me.
Thank God for small miracles!!!

TJones
03-19-2020, 06:58 PM
Time for a Beer!!!

gmwillys
03-19-2020, 07:02 PM
There is a new liquor store down the road, but if you are looking for some something that has only been aged a few hours, that is a phone call away.

okiemark
03-19-2020, 07:35 PM
Come to Oklahoma. They are selling Mary Jane on about every street corner. This medical marijuana deal is something else here. Everybody is getting into growing it, selling it, growing hemp for hemp oil, CDC oil. Literally one of the most conservative places on earth has a marijuana store in about every little town.

bmorgil
03-20-2020, 06:13 AM
gm, the last time I had something that was aged a few hours, it took a quart of milk to cool me down!

okiemark I have to laugh, all I can remember is a song by Merle Haggard - Okie From Muskogee !

TJones
03-22-2020, 04:50 AM
Welllll, I might get the Ole Girl all buttoned back together today except for the slave cylinder and I think it’s coming on Monday!!!
May have to get the Bride help me set the roll cage in her today so I can get it all bolted down, my Son came over yesterday and bleed the brakes and we got them all adjusted up. Boy I’m glad I put all new adjusters in it when I had it all apart, it made it sooo much easier to get them where they would stop her.
I took my windshield over yesterday to a guy a mile and a half from my shop to cut a piece of glass for it, Thanks to bmorgil for finding him for me.
I think the toughest thing was the e brake install on where to mount it and getting it adjusted so it works like it should, may have to run it a little bit to get the new shoes seated in before I make some final adjustments.
Then as soon as the rain stops here in NE Ohio I will get her on a roll back truck and take it to get it wired at my Buddy's house!!!!

I will post some pictures tonight after I get her all dressed up:cool::cool:

bmorgil
03-22-2020, 06:19 AM
Looking Super Trick TJ!!

TJones
03-22-2020, 06:59 AM
Looking Super Trick TJ!!

Thanks Buddy!!!
I think I will put some fender welt on the front fenders where they meet the tub.

LarrBeard
03-22-2020, 07:50 AM
What color?

okiemark
03-22-2020, 09:03 AM
Looks very good.

TJones
03-22-2020, 09:11 AM
What color?

I’m open for selections

TJones
03-22-2020, 09:13 AM
Looks very good.

Thanks Mark!!!

LarrBeard
03-22-2020, 01:57 PM
I’m open for selections

The orange choices I've googled don't come close to matching the tub color. You don't want us to choose.

Ask the Longsuffering, she will have much better color judgement than we do.

TJones
03-22-2020, 03:22 PM
Just waiting on the slave cylinder now!!!!

okiemark
03-22-2020, 07:37 PM
That is beautiful

bmorgil
03-22-2020, 07:53 PM
I love it! Smooth man!

TJones
03-25-2020, 03:32 AM
My glass guy finished my windshield last night.

bmorgil
03-25-2020, 06:27 AM
I can't stand it, put it together man!

gmwillys
03-25-2020, 08:45 AM
The tinted glass with the sun shade is a nice touch. When I had my local guy cut the glass for the 2A, he didn't want to use tinted glass. I suppose he was a traditionalist, but I insisted. It was more or less like putting a chandelier in an outhouse, but what the hell.

With your seating position, and your height, will the sun shade be in your line of vision? The shorter 2A windshields, and the seating position, the line of sight is pretty close to the top of the glass. That's why you see a lot of 2As with 3A windshield frames as an upgrade.

TJones
03-25-2020, 09:02 AM
I'm trying Buddy, this lock down sure has given me a lot of time to work on it.
Got my slave cylinder on Monday and had to fool with that making a longer push rod. Now I am trying to get the air cleaner to fit between the firewall and the EFI and still trying to use the 14" so the EFI gets enough air to breath like it should. Got a offset 14" base and cut it out and moved it even more to make it work, now I'm waiting on a flat top so the hood will close without cutting the rib out on the bottom side of the hood so it will close.
This thing throws one hurdle after another at me.

TJones
03-25-2020, 09:05 AM
The tinted glass with the sun shade is a nice touch. When I had my local guy cut the glass for the 2A, he didn't want to use tinted glass. I suppose he was a traditionalist, but I insisted. It was more or less like putting a chandelier in an outhouse, but what the hell.

With your seating position, and your height, will the sun shade be in your line of vision? The shorter 2A windshields, and the seating position, the line of sight is pretty close to the top of the glass. That's why you see a lot of 2As with 3A windshield frames as an upgrade.

I didn't even say anything to him about the tint GM he sent me that picture last night and said it is finished, I thought it came out sweet until it is in my line of vision:cool::cool:

bmorgil
03-25-2020, 09:41 AM
I am fairly short, 5'7 or so, shrinking everyday. I stare right at the top of the glass in my 3A. We must have had short torsos in the earlier decades. Maybe that's why you always see the windshield down in old photos. Either that or everyone was tall enough to just look over the top.

TJones
03-25-2020, 10:25 AM
I am fairly short, 5'7 or so, shrinking everyday. I stare right at the top of the glass in my 3A. We must have had short torsos in the earlier decades. Maybe that's why you always see the windshield down in old photos. Either that or everyone was tall enough to just look over the top.

I hear ya Bob, I'm 6'1 and the Bride is 5'11, I guess we'll see when I get it mounted up.

gmwillys
03-25-2020, 07:28 PM
I like the glass work, it will look great! I just have a tendency to notice some of the fine details... I drive the Long Suffering nucking futs.
At 5'10",(5'11"before jumping a car and jamming two vertebrae together) the top of my head sticks up above the windshield. Each generation has gotten to be bigger in stature. Looking at aviator's leather jackets from the '40s and ' 50s, and the average size was in the 30s.

bmorgil
03-26-2020, 06:08 AM
The tint looks real good with the color of the Jeep. She's a looker' that's for sure.

gm, I truly understand the vertebrae thing! I have three of them fused together. I went from 5'9" to 5' 8" in an afternoon. My son towers over me, we are evolving!

TJones
03-26-2020, 06:53 AM
On my last day of bolting things on then off to get wired!
Had to trim a little to get the air cleaner to fit but got it handled:confused:
Even got bored and put some fender welting on yesterday after a beer and a winston.

gmwillys
03-26-2020, 08:46 AM
Looks outstanding TJones. We are all proud to see your project come along!

The air cleaner tops off the gem under the hood. You've done well at getting everything to fit like it belongs.

TJones
03-29-2020, 06:28 AM
I bought some "Repro Steps" to put on my project so we could get in it and out without scratching the side of it all up, once I opened them up on Friday when they came I packed the " PRICELESS QUOTE by LarrBeard Cheap Bread Pans" :D:D back up and shipped them back. So I opened a beer,sat on my bucket, cleaned my fishing poles up and thought I can make some steps........

Got 1 finished up yesterday, I will get the passenger side done today then send them over to my Son to get them powder coated with the cover I made for between the grille and the radiator to hid some wiring,

TJones
03-29-2020, 06:28 AM
The cover behind the the grille.
Should I do it Black or the same as the body?????

bmorgil
03-29-2020, 06:43 AM
TJ, at this point your OCD has taken complete control. This is what makes show cars like you have, "Winners".

I have been there with Judges at some wild car shows. I can tell you I have heard one Judge say "I love that!". While the other say's "I hate that!". You have to go with what your imagination tells you looks good to you. Then like any true OCD person, if you don't like it, odds are you will change it any way. Know anybody crafty with a photo editor? Mock it up with a grill and have then "Shop" in colors different ways.

That &^%$*ing thing is looking top man!

TJones
03-29-2020, 06:50 AM
Thanks Bob
Your probably close on the OCD, your starting to sound like the Bride.
I really believe with this nation wide shut down it’s made it a little worse, I get bored and look for something else to do to it.
The Ole Boy that’s going to wire is recovering from prostate cancer and between recovery and chemo treatments his immune system is down so he is really locked up and wants me to wait a couple weeks until I bring it over, which is a good plan in my book.
I took the Painless Performance wiring, the Sniper wiring and all the gauges over to him in a plastic bag and left them at his mail box so he could get it laid out how he wants to install it and get his arms wrapped around the diagrams.
Until then I’m staring at it here thinking “What Next”:confused::confused:

bmorgil
03-29-2020, 07:03 AM
Perfect, the "Hawk Eye Disease". When you start to look deep and pick it apart like no one ever would!

I would suggest getting set up with the Autorama as soon as you can. The Detroit Show can be tough to get into. https://autorama.com/contact/

This would be a great show for that Jeep's debut.

okiemark
03-29-2020, 09:01 AM
I go for black. Everything looks so great, and those steps, they look super stout but very nice looking at the same time.

LarrBeard
03-29-2020, 09:39 AM
Yeah, we agree - black. Now go ask your wife what the color really should be.

Guys don't know nothin' about colors...

TJones
03-29-2020, 09:54 AM
I agree we are mostly color blind half the time:D:D

TJones
03-30-2020, 06:28 AM
Bingo.........
The Bride said Black

TJones
04-01-2020, 06:25 AM
Got my steps all welded up and ready for the powder coating.

bmorgil
04-01-2020, 06:36 AM
Those are solid!

gmwillys
04-01-2020, 11:49 AM
Very nice TJ. They should double as protection for the sides in case anyone/anything gets too close at Wally World.....

TJones
04-01-2020, 02:45 PM
Thanks Guys!!
A buddy of mine told me to get on www.govdeals.com and look under fire trucks and they have a 62 cj3b with only 8,200 miles on it and a cj5 with 5,300 miles on it they are auctioning off if you know of anyone looking for a Nice Jeep or 2:D:confused:

gmwillys
04-01-2020, 04:11 PM
There is some butchery that has been done on the tool box under the passenger seat of the 3B, but still a solid looking rig. The CJ5 is no slouch either. Very clean, and would tend to think that the millage is accurate.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=20&acctid=13812

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=21&acctid=13812

TJones
04-01-2020, 05:11 PM
There is some butchery that has been done on the tool box under the passenger seat of the 3B, but still a solid looking rig. The CJ5 is no slouch either. Very clean, and would tend to think that the millage is accurate.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=20&acctid=13812

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=21&acctid=13812

I was thinking about another project but mine has almost kicked my arse for now:)

TJones
04-03-2020, 06:21 AM
FINALLY Finish except for the wiring!!!

bmorgil
04-03-2020, 07:15 AM
Really nice work TJ! Almost ready for the show. You do need to get that in the next Detroit Autorama.

okiemark
04-03-2020, 08:32 AM
That is really pretty. I'll bet you could sell the heck out of those steps, but you probably have too much time in them to make any money.

LarrBeard
04-03-2020, 09:22 AM
Do you have a drop-in harness or are you (or your buddy) going to do point-to-point wiring?

TJones
04-03-2020, 09:36 AM
Do you have a drop-in harness or are you (or your buddy) going to do point-to-point wiring?:cool:

Yes Sir I bought a drop in from Painless Performance for a CJ5 so it should work out pretty slick.

As far as Autorama goes Bob they would pick it apart in Detroit, those cars are flawless that enter and the “Hawk Eye Disease” sees all the flaws in this one

TJones
04-03-2020, 09:40 AM
That is really pretty. I'll bet you could sell the heck out of those steps, but you probably have too much time in them to make any money.

You are exactly right okiemark on the time spent to make any money, but if you figure at $1.80/hour maybe not:rolleyes:

bmorgil
04-03-2020, 11:59 AM
Oh how you doubt your ability. The Autorama isn't a "Judged" show. It's about "ooh's an ahhh's" from a crowd of auto enthusiasts. I attended this years and I can tell you, your Jeep will get "ooh's and ahh's" I am positive it will fit right in.

gmwillys
04-03-2020, 02:07 PM
I stand behind perfectionist part of the nick name.

LarrBeard
04-03-2020, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE=bmorgil;11790 ... I can tell you, your Jeep will get "ooh's and ahh's" ... [/QUOTE]

There will be enough people who want to stop and talk to you about your Jeep that you will find yourself on your feet all day long telling people the stories about what it looked like when you got it, that junker engine, how you traded shelves for a rebuild, the dyno test, and then all the oh-by-the-ways about parts and getting them to fit.

"Wow, I never say steps like those ..."

There will be GTOs', 442's, custom Vettes, SS'es, Mustangs out the gazoo until they're Booring; then there is the ONE Tangerine Machine that will gather the crowd because there's nothin' else anything like it!

And all those cute grandmas will want to take a ride in that hot little orange Jeep - it's a chick magnet 40 years too late.

(See, I'm trying to talk him into it too ...)

TJones
04-03-2020, 04:04 PM
You guys are Hilarious :rolleyes:
Let me get it wired then work the bugs ( I know there’s going to be bugs for sure) out of it then we’ll see where it goes from there, stay home and be safe guys it’s about lock down time here in Ohio!!!

bmorgil
04-03-2020, 04:15 PM
I am dead serious. Put that baby in a trailer and show it off.

I am 45 min from Detroit.... The numbers there are getting scary. Eating "No Contact Delivery" and some home cooking. The freezer is needing a fill and we have about a week of food. We are going to some tougher restrictions here Monday. Stores will only be able to let in limited amounts of people at a time. I am hoping the warm weather kills this thing off. Hunker down boy's! Wash yer hands and, clean underwear.

okiemark
04-03-2020, 05:33 PM
My county finally got on the map with one case. This is farm and oilfield country and both are operating. Going to the store or any other type of business is a pia though.

TJones
04-04-2020, 05:02 AM
I need to start looking around for a trailer, I had a 20’ enclosed that I sold in 09 when we down-sized and I’m wishing now I would of kept it. The problem I’m seeing in my researching is the inside height, I need 78”s to get it in with the cage height and most of what I see is 77”s. I guess I could let some air out of the tires to squeeze it in, but I’ll keep lookin I guess.
If anyone runs across one send me a PM and I’ll check it out.

bmorgil
04-04-2020, 06:51 AM
Like you don't have the ability to chop the top of the trailer to the need. Getting tired of projects? Ready to ride for awhile?

gmwillys
04-04-2020, 08:00 PM
If you need help modifying an enclosed trailer, let me know. Once upon a time we had a customer who bought a refer trailer to make deliveries down town. The only problem was that most back alleys had clearance issues. Long story short, we cut six inches out of the top of all four sides to drop the roof, and put on low profile tires.

bmorgil
04-05-2020, 06:51 AM
Haa! Ya gotta build em' so the fit through the tunnel under the track gm!

Just a new set of sides TJ!

TJones
04-05-2020, 09:23 AM
If I’m buying a trailer I’ll find one with 84” inside height before I cut the sides down fellars :cool:
That almost sounds like what a guy told me yesterday, “the bolts holding my tailgate shut is redneck and I should of used welding rod with the flux still on it”:)

LarrBeard
04-05-2020, 10:20 AM
Us rednecks know the secrets

gmwillys
04-05-2020, 10:21 AM
Then don't look at the Grey cabinet I have out in the shop... The Flux is just about knocked off.
Use stainless hardware, then you'll be an uptown red neck.

bmorgil
04-05-2020, 11:59 AM
Oh come on now. How about something with a kitchenette and 1/2 bath up front with a small office area and library for the misses? You know, comfort while at the shows for her.

TJones
04-06-2020, 02:56 PM
She could care less about going to a car show, she may go to the first one but that's about it for her........

LarrBeard
04-06-2020, 02:58 PM
Kind of like taking my wife to a Camp Perry Rifle Match.

Been there, seen it, knows I'm too busy to get in trouble - go home now.

TJones
04-06-2020, 03:07 PM
Kind of like taking my wife to a Camp Perry Rifle Match.

Been there, seen it, knows I'm too busy to get in trouble - go home now.

You got it Buddy, she couldn't sit still long enough unless they had Grey Goose at the counter or maybe even a Bud Light:):)

TJones
04-12-2020, 02:39 PM
The Bride had a sign made for me to put in my garage:cool:

bmorgil
04-13-2020, 07:05 AM
Come on TJ, fight for your right! Tell her who owns the skills.

Wait, ask her first.

okiemark
04-13-2020, 08:19 AM
Look up "The Man Song".

TJones
04-13-2020, 08:57 AM
Come on TJ, fight for your right! Tell her who owns the skills.

Wait, ask her first.

I think I will just leave it alone Bob:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Other Than Thanks Baby!!!!

TJones
04-13-2020, 09:01 AM
Look up "The Man Song".

That's about right at our House, "Cause Everything I Say Goes Right Out The Window"!!!!!

TJones
04-30-2020, 06:22 AM
Been searching High and Low for a enclosed trailer to haul my Baby around in, Finally found a 7' x 16' with a 2' V-nose that only had 500 miles on it 15 miles from the house!!!!!
It was hard to find one with 7' ceilings due to my roll cage is to high to get it in a 6'-6.5' trailer.
The guy that had it owns a decal shop and had it lettered up for advertising, wasn't real fond of the decals so he said he would peel them off.
Had to Thank him for his service though......He did 6 years in the Navy as you can see from some of the decals on the trailer!!!

bmorgil
04-30-2020, 07:27 AM
Hilarious the morphing of the "project"! From a V6 CJ to Show piece with a matching house on wheels. I can hear it now... well I needed this because, I had to, because...

gmwillys
04-30-2020, 08:17 AM
Great find! When the world starts turning again, I might expect a visit?

bmorgil
04-30-2020, 08:32 AM
I do hope there is room for mine behind yours. You can swing around here and pick up I75 south to "The Ranch". The only thing is, gmwillys has to promise "peeJ" wont get dirty!

LarrBeard
04-30-2020, 09:59 AM
If the '20 Jeep Fest ends up cancelled, we're going to have to find a midpoint and have our own 'Fest at some wild and crazy spot like Upper Sandusky (which is lower Sandusky) or Findlay.

gmwillys
04-30-2020, 10:59 AM
After this weekend, I will have the shingles on the garage-ma-hall, so you should be safe from arrant dirt.

bmorgil
04-30-2020, 11:44 AM
Man we are just shutting the books on 2020. I hope things turn soon. So far the Jeep Fest is on.

TJones
04-30-2020, 02:54 PM
Hilarious the morphing of the "project"! From a V6 CJ to Show piece with a matching house on wheels. I can hear it now... well I needed this because, I had to, because...

If your talking about the Bride Bob, she doesn't care what I do as long as it keeps me home and out of trouble:rolleyes::rolleyes:

TJones
04-30-2020, 02:55 PM
If the '20 Jeep Fest ends up cancelled, we're going to have to find a midpoint and have our own 'Fest at some wild and crazy spot like Upper Sandusky (which is lower Sandusky) or Findlay.

Doesn't matter to me Larry "Have Wheels Will Travel"

TJones
04-30-2020, 03:03 PM
Great find! When the world starts turning again, I might expect a visit?

And GM don't be surprised if we ALL come knocking on the "Rust Ranch Door"!!!!!

TJones
05-03-2020, 06:25 AM
It wont be long now boy's, I finally got her loaded up and took it to my Buddy's to get her wired up yesterday!!!!!
I will hear music to my ears Very Shortly,

bmorgil
05-03-2020, 06:30 AM
That needs to be in an enclosed trailer. It is going to cause an accident from the gawking!

TJones
05-03-2020, 06:44 AM
I would have but I didn’t have any help to push her up the ramp and the trailer doesn’t have a winch in it.....Yet:D

TJones
05-03-2020, 06:48 AM
This quarantined BS is making me Crazy

LarrBeard
05-03-2020, 07:34 AM
Me too!

I was stalking cowbirds yesterday like they were mini-turkeys.

(The catfish really like them)

bmorgil
05-03-2020, 08:29 AM
Me too!

I was stalking cowbirds yesterday like they were mini-turkeys.

(The catfish really like them)

Hahahaha! Man just like when we were kids, "Have gun, will travel"!

okiemark
05-07-2020, 08:16 PM
I wanted to ask you about your radiator hoses. My project has a different radiator than original so it has 1 1/4 necks while the engine has 1 1/2 inch necks. I was looking on Ebay and Amazon at those kits with the steel hose and you can accommodate different size necks. However, the reviews on those were less than encouraging as far as quality goes. Where did you get yours and did you have any problems with them?

TJones
05-08-2020, 04:31 AM
To be very honest with you okiemark I have not put any anti-freeze in mine yet to find out if they leak or not. I have talked to many street rodders that have had good success with them so that’s why I picked the ones I did. My Jeep is at a buddies getting wired right now and as soon as it is ready to fire up the truth will be told and I’ll let you know.
I got mine from Summit Racing. I will look up the part number for you and post it, they seem to seal up on the neck pretty good, but like I said time will tell and they do have different size rubber shims to adapt to different neck sizes.

TJones
05-08-2020, 04:42 AM
Here is the Summit part number I bought “Summit Racing® Stainless Steel Flexible Hoses SUM-390148“
If you stick with their Summit brand they are generally a little cheaper than everyone else’s but they are the same quality.

okiemark
05-08-2020, 09:13 AM
OK, thanks. Some of the ones I was looking at on Amazon the reviews were bad and it sounded like Chinese cheap stuff so I figured it was just a matter of buying a good quality brand.

TJones
05-10-2020, 07:21 AM
Stopped over at my Buddies yesterday to check to see if he needed anything for the wiring and to mostly check on my Ole Girls progress, I am telling you this guy is anal about what he is doing. He said he wants it to be First Class and I believe it will be!!!!!
He has a "too scale" dash built on his workbench so every wire is cut to length before it goes in the tub....
I will get more pictures as he moves along.

Willy D
05-10-2020, 08:48 AM
I see you have a Willys that someone added power steering. If pump mounting become a pain in the a_s like mine did put a Volvo electric PS pump in. I put one in mine and love it. I actually have an extra one if you need help.

TJones
05-10-2020, 10:51 AM
Thanks Willy D but mine is all finished up. I’m just waiting to get it all wired so I can fire it up and drive around!!!

bmorgil
05-12-2020, 06:22 AM
Man that guy wiring your Jeep is a perfectionist indeed! Wow a true "Craftsman". A nice team player for you, Complements what you have already accomplished!

TJones
05-12-2020, 03:19 PM
He ran a ground wire to the battery box bolt that grounds the body, then a ground wire to the frame, then from there to the engine, so anywhere on the body,frame or engine there is always ground, and he made it so you can't see any ground wires unless you look hard for them.

This Ole Boy is retired can you tell???:D:D

LarrBeard
05-13-2020, 07:43 AM
That is a neat scheme.

It doesn't look like he cleaned paint off the battery box or off the underside of the tub, so he is using the bolt as a feed through conductor. His actual frame ground is probably a cleaned off place on that bracket where the tub mounts.

That's good because you've not removed paint in areas where you could have corrosion start.

He's done this before ...

bmorgil
05-13-2020, 08:16 AM
It's just plain sexy!

gmwillys
05-13-2020, 01:16 PM
I like his attention to detail. Very nice! You can never have enough grounds..... Except on an aluminum end dump hauling road salt.... The lights would start to act up, and you had to go around and clean all the grounds going to the steel chassis to remove the corrosion. You'll never see salt on purpose, so you'll be just fine.

TJones
05-13-2020, 06:49 PM
I put weld in threaded inserts everywhere on the tub and the frame and he’s using the bolts to conduct the ground, he’s just putting longer bolts and nuts on them to fasten the ground wires.
He’s a smart cookie for sure and your right this isn’t his first wiring job!!!

LarrBeard
05-14-2020, 10:20 AM
I put weld in threaded inserts everywhere on the tub and the frame

OK -that's the last part of the story we couldn't see. I had wondered how the bolts were going to make a ground to the tub through those painted surfaces - but the welded inserts make it clear. Nice job of planning!

TJones
05-14-2020, 12:41 PM
It has been 3 years Larry, I told you I did a lot of sitting on a 5 gallon bucket,smoking a Winston or 2 and drinking a cold one or 2 and did A LOT of thinking and planning......

gmwillys
05-14-2020, 02:42 PM
I had no doubts in your planning ability.

TJones
05-16-2020, 07:02 PM
Went to check on my Girls progress today and the "Wire Wizard" impressed me once again, I left 2 welded studs on the inside of the firewall and he made a plate to put all the wire connections in one one place from the fuse box.
He made a aluminum plate,drilled it,tapped it to hold each relay and made wing nuts on his lathe to loosen it up by hand in lieu of a wrench to take it out JIC we need to change anything,.
This guy is AMAZING!!!!!

gmwillys
05-16-2020, 10:59 PM
That is sweet work. He is worth every penny!

TJones
05-17-2020, 05:50 AM
Just another horse trading deal, he won’t take a penny for doing it he just wants a big dozer for a weekend to grade up around his 4 acre lake at his house.
A win win for everyone!!!!

gmwillys
05-17-2020, 03:01 PM
A little dozer work is worth it, as long as the dozer stays out of the lake.... Seen it happen, except the dozer ended up upside down in the lake.

bmorgil
05-17-2020, 03:47 PM
A perfect horse trade there! A dozer for a weekend is a life saver for some of us! I am sure he is glad to trade his craft for it. I traded a guy 8000 square feet of drywall tape and finish for a cylinder head rebuild on his son's car. He was happy, I was happy.

TJones
05-17-2020, 04:48 PM
Horse trading is a beautiful thing!!!!

TJones
05-21-2020, 04:02 PM
Been looking for a LONgggggg time to find a air cleaner to match the Grand National Valve covers and finally found one, sent it home with my Son and he powder coated it black and I sanded the ribs off and it came out pretty damn close!!!
Close Enough for me anyways.....

And I forgot the Electrician wanted his stuff Powder Coated too:cool::cool:

gmwillys
05-21-2020, 08:23 PM
Sweet! Looks great!

okiemark
05-21-2020, 10:26 PM
That thing is going to be fancy!

bmorgil
05-22-2020, 06:02 AM
Insane, absolutely insane!

5JeepsAz
05-23-2020, 08:49 PM
Finally caught up on your build. Wow. This is a good'n. Horse traders association approved!!! I make only one addition to the commentary. I'm highly skeptical of anyone with that many wires attached to a 55gal drum or whatever table in the workshop. I mean, suppose they show that to all the customers? I hope you get yours rolling under power soon looks fantastic so far

TJones
05-24-2020, 04:28 AM
Finally caught up on your build. Wow. This is a good'n. Horse traders association approved!!! I make only one addition to the commentary. I'm highly skeptical of anyone with that many wires attached to a 55gal drum or whatever table in the workshop. I mean, suppose they show that to all the customers? I hope you get yours rolling under power soon looks fantastic so far

The anticipation is killing me 5jeepsaz, I really don’t want to push him but come on already let’s getter fired up:D

TJones
05-27-2020, 03:12 PM
I understand now what you guys were talking about as far as records or lack there of by Willy's.

Our title bureaus just opened yesterday so I went up today to get my title transferred so I could apply for "Histerical Plates" and the guy at the counter in a muffled voice "under his mask" said, WE HAVE A PROBLEM...... I'm thinking now what, he said the VIN # on your 1952-M38 serial #70999 we ran, came up as a 1946 CJ-2A and he said that's a problem......After about a hour, with him in the back room with the supervisor he came out and said we'll see what we can do and, WALLA I left with a title.:rolleyes:

He made the comment "I am not sure how this company stayed in business the way they kept records" and I chuckled to myself thinking of the horror stories I read on here from you guys.

LarrBeard
05-27-2020, 05:37 PM
I understand now what you guys were talking about as far as records or lack there of by Willy's.

Our title bureaus just opened yesterday so I went up today to get my title transferred so I could apply for "Histerical Plates" and the guy at the counter in a muffled voice "under his mask" said, WE HAVE A PROBLEM...... I'm thinking now what, he said the VIN # on your 1952-M38 serial #70999 we ran, came up as a 1946 CJ-2A and he said that's a problem......After about a hour, with him in the back room with the supervisor he came out and said we'll see what we can do and, WALLA I left with a title.:rolleyes:

He made the comment "I am not sure how this company stayed in business the way they kept records" and I chuckled to myself thinking of the horror stories I read on here from you guys.

Most records agree that if he had really been looking at a civilian serial number, 70999 would have been a late 46 CJ-2A. But... it isn't a civilian serial number, it's a military number. This time the problem wasn't Willys'. The M38 70999 S/N would not have been moved over to the civilian DMV records in most places. BUT... you ended up with a title.

Never try to explain anything to a DMV clerk if things seem to be going along in the direction you want them to. An hour is a short time to wait in a DMV office. Declare a victory and move on to the next challenge. Congratulations - at least they didn't accuse you of stealing government property!

TJones
05-27-2020, 05:58 PM
Most records agree that if he had really been looking at a civilian serial number, 70999 would have been a late 46 CJ-2A. But... it isn't a civilian serial number, it's a military number. This time the problem wasn't Willys'. The M38 70999 S/N would not have been moved over to the civilian DMV records in most places. BUT... you ended up with a title.

Never try to explain anything to a DMV clerk if things seem to be going along in the direction you want them to. An hour is a short time to wait in a DMV office. Declare a victory and move on to the next challenge. Congratulations - at least they didn't accuse you of stealing government property!

My biggest fear wasn’t the title it was the notary stamp, the Bride is a notary so I stamped it at the office with her stamp (name and all) and brought it home and asked her to sign it and she said she’s not allowed by law to notarize anything that she could gain from , that’s when I panicked!!!!
So I took it across the street to a buddy plumber and his secretary stamped right over the Brides stamp and signed it and the DMV clerk was more worried about the serial number than 2 stamps it went right through.
Must be living right or someone is watching after me or both!!!

5JeepsAz
05-27-2020, 08:16 PM
So you drove ..... What ... To the dMv?

okiemark
05-27-2020, 10:08 PM
Seems that everybody with an old Jeep has a story like this. They should make a separate category for Jeeps older than 1970. Oh, hell give us $100, here's your tag and get out of here.

TJones
05-28-2020, 03:37 AM
So you drove ..... What ... To the dMv?

I drove my pickup 5JeepsAz, my Jeep is still at my buddy’s getting wired.

TJones
05-28-2020, 03:40 AM
Seems that everybody with an old Jeep has a story like this. They should make a separate category for Jeeps older than 1970. Oh, hell give us $100, here's your tag and get out of here.

It’s a adventure that’s for sure!!!

LarrBeard
06-04-2020, 11:32 AM
your 1952-M38 serial #70999

I was looking at some other stuff yesterday and in the KWAS Jeep Hunters Field Guide, lower left corner page 28 - the serial plate they use as an example is MC 70424, not too far off from 70999. You could have used that as an example of the serial number - but it turned out OK!

TJones
06-11-2020, 03:52 AM
GREAT NEWS last night, my “Anal Electrical Engineer” called and said The Orange Crush should be ready to fire up next week!!!!
I can’t wait to hear the old girl purr!!

gmwillys
06-15-2020, 09:13 AM
Can't wait to hear her come to life! You'll be cruising in no time!

LarrBeard
06-15-2020, 09:51 AM
... called and said The Orange Crush should be ready to fire up next week!!!!

We didn't really intend to name your Jeep - that was just a comment in passing.

You could call it The Tangerine Passion if you wanted to ...

Or something else that has bling to it.

TJones
06-15-2020, 01:50 PM
I just want it to come to life Guy's
I probably will never name it other than " A Big Pain In My A*& Pocket ":confused::confused:

bmorgil
06-15-2020, 04:11 PM
You could call it The Tangerine Passion

Larry where do you come up with this stuff?

LarrBeard
06-15-2020, 05:20 PM
Larry where do you come up with this stuff?

Fifty years in a house full of women has helped me get in touch with my more expressive persona. You had a son to help you!

TJones
06-15-2020, 07:25 PM
Fifty years in a house full of women has helped me get in touch with my more expressive persona. You had a son to help you!

Adoption is how got out of being over run by Women:)

gmwillys
06-15-2020, 09:02 PM
There are three oranges in my color pallet... Hugger (Chevy orange), vitamin C (Chrysler orange), and flambau (Allis Chalmers orange). All else are shades of these three.

5JeepsAz
06-15-2020, 10:47 PM
I'm as excited as you are, as we all are. Sure as heck hope it works!!! Sights and sounds galore. Awesome!

TJones
06-19-2020, 04:59 AM
I think it’s time to fire the Ole Girl up this weekend!!!!
Not sure if we can post a video on here but I’ll try.

bmorgil
06-19-2020, 05:42 AM
You know it will be sweet, the dyno already proved it!

LarrBeard
06-19-2020, 08:01 AM
Not sure if we can post a video on here but I’ll try.

You might try - you can post a 97.7 KB .jpg file. If not, have your grand kids post it to Facebook or YouTube for you and send us a link!

This is a "gotta see" moment.

TJones
06-21-2020, 04:27 AM
Got her fired up yesterday after 3.5 years !!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X5r5pYiMo4
Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads out here!!!

bmorgil
06-21-2020, 05:48 AM
Alright! That thing looks and sounds ready to roll! Sweet ride man.

okiemark
06-21-2020, 09:36 AM
Wow, that sounds great! Can't wait to see it all uncovered and moving around.

gmwillys
06-21-2020, 10:33 AM
Sounds like a winner! The Long Suffering Misses approved of the color choice as well!

5JeepsAz
06-21-2020, 11:19 PM
Dang man!!!! That must have been some feeling. Imagine pulling up at a stop next to that. Pure joy. Way to go

Trailabite
06-22-2020, 01:15 PM
Sounds good!

TJones
06-25-2020, 05:18 PM
Get to bring the Ole Girl home Saturday woot woot!!!!
Only thing I need to do is put a fan on the water pump and hope like H#}{ it keeps the Ole girl cool, she’s running up to 220 with just the electric fan and it’s a little warm for my liken
Might have to see if the thermostat is working right or maybe it has a air lock in the system somewhere

gmwillys
06-26-2020, 09:43 AM
A quick check with a laser temp gun would tell you all you need to know. Check the temp bellow your thermostat, and above. Check temps between the cylinders on the block for hot spots, and at the heads. If you think you may have an air pocket trapped in the heads, elevate the front end as high as you can then pressurize the system with a pressure tester. This will coax the air out of the back of the heads. With your new aluminum radiator, the heat transfer should be pretty good. Thermostats have been known to be faulty out of the box, (especially CAT thermostats as of late), so that could be a possibility, but I am leaning to the air pocket. On the C-7 CAT diesels, we have to pressure fill them from the bottom up, or you'll be guaranteed that you'll have an overheat condition from trapped air. This is caused by the configuration of the power pack assembly, and the radiator positioned on top of the transmission. Too many bends and hoses with tight radiuses.

TJones
06-26-2020, 11:28 AM
I am heading over this afternoon GM and I will check everything with a laser temp gun like you said, then if everything shows like its saying I will try and burp the system by loosening the sending unit from the manifold right below the thermostat and see if that doesn't work, then if that doesn't do the trick I will yank the thermostat out and try and test it.

Thanks Buddy!!!

LarrBeard
06-26-2020, 12:08 PM
In the Toledo Parade last year, BMorgil's PeeJ had a temperature problem. Three of us watched the temp gauge pin itself at full scale and we ended up using a coffee mug to hold open the hood just to get some air circulation. It never chundered or spewed, but after the parade we did a couple of science projects on thermostats.

BMorgil found a racing thermostat that I believe he used to replace the auto store thermostat. I believe GMWillys may have suggested adding a couple of holes to the flange of the thermostat for coolant bypass.

Just remember, it's still a new baby and new babies need to be burped - Grandpas know that.

bmorgil
06-26-2020, 12:37 PM
The L134 has a very anemic cooling system as far as the pump goes. It is sensitive to thermostats that don't have a large flow area. I did end up with a Milodon which is a nice one. On yours TJ it might be faster to just fire it up with the radiator cap off. As soon as the water starts to heat it will purge the air out the fill. When the thermostat opens it will burp out the rest, settle down and stop puking out water. When you can look in the fill hole and see the water flowing across the cores you know you have the thermostat open and the air is out. It is best to top it off running and then put the cap on and fill the overflow to the full cold if you are using one. It can be a little messy but it is pretty effective at getting the air out. What temp does the fan come on at?

TJones
06-26-2020, 07:48 PM
Thanks guys!!!!!
I called Chris at Pro Car on the way home after I put a fan on it and asked if it could be running lean and he said with the EFI no way it’s set you got 3 problems.
1. It needs burped with the cap off like bmorgil said.
2. Move the sending unit to the back of the manifold instead of underneath the thermostat.
Or 3. Plug the hand held Sniper programmer in and see if your temp gauge is hay wire, the Sniper programmer will tell me what the actual temperature is.
Going to try those 3 and maybe see if the thermostat is working right !!!

TJones
06-27-2020, 06:43 AM
The L134 has a very anemic cooling system as far as the pump goes. It is sensitive to thermostats that don't have a large flow area. I did end up with a Milodon which is a nice one. On yours TJ it might be faster to just fire it up with the radiator cap off. As soon as the water starts to heat it will purge the air out the fill. When the thermostat opens it will burp out the rest, settle down and stop puking out water. When you can look in the fill hole and see the water flowing across the cores you know you have the thermostat open and the air is out. It is best to top it off running and then put the cap on and fill the overflow to the full cold if you are using one. It can be a little messy but it is pretty effective at getting the air out. What temp does the fan come on at?

Bmorgil I don’t have a relay on it that kicks the electric fan on I just have a switch to turn it on.

bmorgil
06-27-2020, 07:31 AM
Once you get it purged and filled, you should be able to watch it work. I am assuming a 165 thermostat. Bring it up to 190 and flip the switch. The system should pull it down to 175 to 180 or less and hold it there. If it can do that you should be good to go.

TJones
06-27-2020, 06:56 PM
Welllllll
I ran it with the thermostat out and ran it without the cap on and it climbed up to 225, I drained the water out went and got a Milodon full flow 160 thermostat changed the electric fan to push and got a 15” Derale flex fan to see if that helps the ole girl from havin hot flashes
Will update tomorrow, got frustrated and called it a day!!!

gmwillys
06-27-2020, 10:17 PM
With the thermostat completely removed, a new engine with everything tight and right, it would still warm up pretty warm because the coolant doesn't stay long enough in a radiator to perform the proper heat transfer while it's warm out. Hopefully with the cooler thermostat and running it with no cap and thermostat out, the system should be burped. If you are still having issues, and your troubleshooting plays out, raise the front end as high as you can to aid in releasing trapped air. Crown Vic squad cars had to be raised up till the rear bumper touched the ground in order to burp them. Power flushing, pressurized, cap off, none worked until we picked up the end on the lift. Within 10 minutes the Temps would be normal.

TJones
06-28-2020, 04:38 AM
That’s why I’m on here Buddy, to learn new things everyday !!!!

bmorgil
06-28-2020, 06:41 AM
TJ, if you have a BIG fan or two, set them in front and give it a little help. Lets see if this is a simple airflow issue. If it will cool down with airflow, some shrouding and higher CFM fan/fans will help with the low speed/idle driving. The radiator I have isn't high capacity by any means. There is very little room. Probably just enough capacity to dissipate the heat from a 60HP motor! I didn't think the one you ended up with was much larger. I don't think they hold much water.

Try more air. If it will cool down then you know its not just running away. 225 is hot enough. I would keep adding air to keep it under 220. It is a new motor. They might run a little warmer for a few minutes but, I wouldn't expect it to run but a few degrees warmer while the rings break in. That should be well on its way from the dyno. It should be fairly broke in.

gmwillys
06-28-2020, 08:14 AM
I concur with Bmorgil on the air flow. Your engine should be past the point of worrying about the rings seating in, so your temperature should hold steady as Bmorgil said. In dirt track racing, it was always a struggle to have just enough radiator to cool without adding a whole bunch of weight. With the small blocks being punched out to the minimum cylinder wall thickness, high operating temps were the norm. Adding fan and radiator shrouds, adding holes to the nose, and using different pitch fans to increase airflow. Even with all this, temperatures would still run high. We even tried chemical additives to put in with the coolant to reduce the overall temperature. With all this, we still had fire extinguishers filled with cool water to spray down the radiator to cool it down some when pulling off the track, before shutting down.

TJones
06-28-2020, 04:00 PM
Here is the fan I got yesterday, and today I picked up some spacers to ge it close to the radiator.
My next move will be to build a shroud if it doesn’t cool down a little.

bmorgil
06-28-2020, 04:04 PM
It is hard to beat a 6 blade steel flex fan with a good sealed up shroud. The shroud is the key. Tight to the blades and sealed to the radiator.

TJones
06-28-2020, 04:15 PM
I’m going to try it with the 160 thermostat tomorrow and the spacers I got today and if that doesn’t get the Ole girl from having hot flashes I’ll call Champion and have them send me a shroud.
I’m sure they have one for mine.

bmorgil
06-28-2020, 05:27 PM
I am thinking we are going to see your skills once again TJ. I think you are going to have to make that shroud. Thin gauge aluminum is the way to go if you do fab one. Your favorite neighborhood Racing store has a good start. I have used the one from Speedway. They may be a bit large. It is Stock Car size. They can be used a s a good start. There are a few other choices. You are not alone on this one. Everyone who tried to push extra HP through a stock radiator learns the need for a perfect fitting sealed up shroud.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-380482-sh?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAjw_-D3BRBIEiwAjVMy7KoFzT5J4zeHJUOf5FDXJ9adgQAsPQT8MTT4 0nT39zDiksptPMqsUxoCsOgQAvD_BwE

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Aluminum-Fan-Shroud-Kit-for-26-Inch-Radiator-Engine-Driven-Fan,66543.html?sku=9174021&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=CjwKCAjw_-D3BRBIEiwAjVMy7Kn7Er9tX95338MYouLGd6Jl8WRlKzcZalpo gVKvroEEDyY_aIecxxoC360QAvD_BwE

gmwillys
06-28-2020, 07:42 PM
The SBC in our wagon runs the inline 6 radiator, so it is 18" or so from the front of the fan. There was a home made shroud that worked fairly well mounted in front of the radiator. The fan was a suicide fiber blade variable pitch fans..... Knew a guy that raced dirt track that was killed by one of those fans losing a blade while he was setting the timing on a Ford. Hit him in the neck and jobbed through the jugular.

TJones
06-29-2020, 04:13 AM
I told the guy from Champion what I was building and he said they put an extra core in mine and said it should work good.
GM that is exactly why I bought the stainless fan, remember your story somewhere and I think it was in my earlier days of my post about the fiberglass blade fan grenading and taking the ole boy out.
Thanks bmorgil for the reference from Summit, if she doesn’t cool after today I’ll get some measurements and build one.
I’m kinda nervous about leaving it open anyways, the fan I have will take a hand or arm off in one clean swipe if your not careful.

bmorgil
06-29-2020, 06:20 AM
I’m kinda nervous about leaving it open anyways, the fan I have will take a hand or arm off in one clean swipe if your not careful.

The exact reason I make sure the shroud is on everything with an exposed fan. Trust me there are lots of stories about what can go wrong in and around the buzz saw. In reality it is the shroud that makes it work efficiently. Without it the fan pulls air from everywhere. It actually pulls very little directly in front of it without a shroud. On small engines with relatively large HP to Cooling capacity ratio, that's OK. Not so on the radiator size you have and the HP you have.

LarrBeard
06-29-2020, 07:51 AM
If I remember correctly, on the ’48 the shroud was a two-piece shroud and part of it had gone away over the years. The radiator we found at the Jeep yard over in Toledo was a bottom mount radiator, but almost nothing else was right. The top tank was different; hose locations were a bit different so we had to build a custom shroud. We used part of the old shroud, so it has some originality.

TJones
06-30-2020, 04:10 AM
We’ll back to Summit for a water pump.
Some idiot cut the alignment pin off the front of the water pump,why???who knows???
I do know 1 thing it’s IMPOSSIBLE to put the pulley,spacer and blade on then try to line 4 screws on to hold it with out taking the grill out then the radiator !!!
Sooooo after 2 hours of jerking with that and getting it all together with a 1” spacer we find out the fan is only 1/8 of an inch from the bottom radiator tank, much to close if the motor even coughs.
Soooo while I have it out a new water pump WITH the alignment pin sticking out the front JIC it ever needs replaced by the Grand Kids one day 15 years down the road:D
Another reason to replace it (with a 1/2” spacer) is bc when we ran it the pulley wobbled a little and with that “buzz saw” of a blade we put on it may take the bearing out one day (sooner that later) and that would be ugly and it’s wide open right now.
I did talk to a guy last night that wants to horse trade a custom built aluminum shroud for some fill dirt at his house!!!!
If it needs one after we get it all together...

bmorgil
06-30-2020, 01:17 PM
Get the backhoe going TJ you really should have one. The tighter it fits the better.

gmwillys
06-30-2020, 02:30 PM
Agreed. Fill dirt and some fuel is a small price to pay for a custom shroud.

TJones
06-30-2020, 06:05 PM
GREAT NEWS!!!
Got it all back together and the thermostat opened at 162 it went to 185 then I turned on the electric fan, it went to 175 and hovered between 175 and 185 with water in it.
Has anybody ever used Evans Waterless Antifreeze, they say it runs 30-40 degrees cooler than anything else?
The only set back it’s $48.00 a gallon, not like I’m filling a series 60 Detroit just checking.

TJones
06-30-2020, 06:07 PM
I do agree on a shroud and more than likely it will happen, just want to keep it cool enough to get home.

TJones
06-30-2020, 06:12 PM
Agreed. Fill dirt and some fuel is a small price to pay for a custom shroud.

I agree I have 14,000 yards at my shop that people brought me and I sell, when it empties I fill it up again!!!

LarrBeard
06-30-2020, 10:12 PM
"Got it all back together and the thermostat opened at 162 it went to 185"

If you have ever had a thermostat stick, gauge pinned at max hot and then dump half the coolant all over the engine bay - you are always watchful as the engine heats up.

The F-134 has the temp sensor at the passenger side, rear of the engine. The thermostat is up front where some cooling air starts flowing when you fire up. The sensor is in a hotter area than the thermostat and it takes the thermostat a while to figure out that things are hot back there.

The best idea is to let the truck idle for about 10 minutes to let things warm up gradually. If you do this, you get an overshoot, but only up to maybe 175 or 180 before the thermostat opens.

But, if you have to get in and go, and go hard, you can drive the back end of the engine up to about 200 before the thermostat opens up. I have developed a "cheat" if I can't get a gradual warmup - I turn on the heater. The heater port on the water pump will push hot water through the heater and the heater acts like a little auxiliary radiator.

I'm a wimp, I don't stress things that don't have to be stressed.

bmorgil
07-01-2020, 06:28 AM
gmwillys and I have both used "wetting agents" to try to reduce water temperature. It does indeed lower temps a bit. 30 to 40 degrees however is quite a stretch. In circle track you see a few deg maybe. It may be a help but definitely not an answer. I can tell you from a straight up cooling transfer, nothing beats plain water. A few things make it very difficult to to run plain water. Corrosion and boiling point are the primary. You already have a good deal of additive in the Anti-Freeze. Adding more actually decreases the amount of water which in turn decreases the ability of the system to absorb heat. So if you are running plain water that is as good as it gets as long as it doesn't boil. As you add things the coefficient goes down from pure water. A "surfactant" aids in the ability of the water to "adhere" for lack of a better term to the surfaces of hot areas. It therefore may reduce the temperature at some critical spots like the combustion chamber. This allows a little more room before detonation and hence, a little more power, if you tune for it. This is on the edge stuff. Not for our street racers. I don't think you need to worry. If you can control the temp at idle with the fan and no shroud, I believe you are real good. As soon as the shroud is in place you should not have any "idling in the parade" issues.

gmwillys
07-01-2020, 10:40 AM
I agree with Bmorgil. In some derbies, the horse tracks wouldn't allow us to use antifreeze to keep from poisoning the race horses. Chevy and Chryslers can take a lot of heat and be alright.... As far as derbies go, (I ran a 500 cfm Holley 2 barrel on all the Chryslers, and it was so warped at the base you had to use two base gaskets). We don't even run a temp gage.

TJones
07-02-2020, 06:00 PM
Brining the Bish Home tomorrow !!

LarrBeard
07-02-2020, 09:26 PM
"Born on the third of July"

TJones
07-03-2020, 06:47 PM
FINALLY GOT THE OLD GIRL HOME!!!!
Put 54 miles on her today and no major breakdowns or leaks!!!
One question for the Wise, do they make a 90 degree adapter for the speedo cable?
It worked fine then I’m not sure if the cable twisted off or what happened.
The cable comes out of the transfer case and makes a tight 90 and I’m thinking it broke the cable.

gmwillys
07-03-2020, 11:07 PM
Great!
Summit Racing has 90 degree speedo cable adapters. They are spendy, but will help your cause.

TJones
07-04-2020, 03:56 AM
6223The only problem with Summit is my transfer case has that funky gear with the slot on one side for the “special” waterproof cable and I can’t find a 90 degree adapter that will fit it.
Unless I can change the speedo gear that will fit a square cable.
Any thoughts on that??

bmorgil
07-04-2020, 07:25 AM
I think you may want to swap a guy that waterproof "rare" connector setup. A military guy would love to have it and you definitely don't need it! I do not see "The Crush" operating underwater anytime soon. You should jump on G503.com and see if someone is out there.

TJones
07-04-2020, 08:26 AM
That’s was the culprit6224

TJones
07-04-2020, 08:41 AM
I need a 15 tooth speedo gear with a “regular square cable drive”.
You guys think a regular speedo cable would need a 90 degree adapter?
They are not as heavy duty and bulky as a waterproof cable, and all the Dana 18’s came out in the same place.

bmorgil
07-04-2020, 12:58 PM
I think it is worth a try. The WP assembly is bulkier. In any event the conventional setup with a 90 should help. The Speedo cable is a standard flexible cable drive. They are used in a few things besides old fashioned auto speedo and tach drives. On a flexible cable drive like these you should keep the bend radius no tighter than 6” and no bends within 2” or so of your end connections. Any more than that and it will break early and smoothness of motion transfer can be affected.

TJones
07-07-2020, 04:25 AM
I think I’ve solved my problem.......Hopefully
I picked up a 90 degree adapter Sunday at Summit that will work.
I jumped on Mrs. Google ( because she knows Way more than Mr. Google the Bride says) and tried to find a 15 tooth driven gear w/ a square speedo drive and came up empty handed.
Took everything to the “Wire Wizard” that wired the Ole Girl and after studying it over a beer and 45 minutes of BSing he climbed up in his stock pile and came up with a speedometer cluster out of a Dana 20 transfer case. By no means the driven gear was the same but it had the square drive I needed, so he cut it off the length we needed. He chucked it up in the lathe and trimmed it down to fit in mine and is sending it to his buddy that “Micro Welds”. I’ve never heard of Micro Welding before but Jim said the guy welded a firing pin into his Remington 7 mm mag and it fired first time.
Sooo hopefully problem is solved, we’ll see in a couple days.

TJones
07-10-2020, 07:17 PM
Got my speedo fixed and took her for a test run and Might of ran across my next project, a 1950 Jeepster!!!!!
Whatcha think guys?????
He has 2 spare fenders,a spare top, a spare grill and 2 doors for it.....

bmorgil
07-11-2020, 07:19 AM
Get the check book out, that's a keeper.

gmwillys
07-11-2020, 12:11 PM
I like it! The Hudson radio is something that you don't see everyday. How do the floors look? I can see this being the Bride's ride!

TJones
07-11-2020, 12:23 PM
I’m telling ya it is very solid, I pulled the floor mats up and thought I’d see daylight but was surprised.
Nothing a little sandblasting wouldn’t clean up.
He stole it at a auction a couple weeks ago and I’m thinking he wants to pay for his antique pulling tractor he bought the same day.

gmwillys
07-11-2020, 08:45 PM
Don't go too crazy with a counter offer, but being the body is solid, that would warrant a good price.

bmorgil
07-12-2020, 06:20 AM
Wow TJ if you are looking for an "Original Restore" that's the perfect "core".

I spotted that Hudson Radio also. I don't remember ever seeing one. That thing is pretty cool the way it sits.

TJones
07-12-2020, 06:38 AM
I’d have to do a little digging into it to see if I’m ready for another project yet, but like you guys say it is a damn good core to start with.

On another note after a little run around town yesterday in mine I pulled her into the garage and noticed oil dripping from underneath, soooo I get the creeper and flashlight to try and find the next culprit and narrowed it down to the oil filter adapter for the remote filter. It had a hairline crack in it that just surfaced itself, must of opened up from driving it with a constant 60 lbs of oil pressure. Looks like it may have been where they tapped the 1/2” pipe threads or my overtighting the AN fitting for the hose to the filter on the firewall.
Anyways she’s grounded until the new adapter comes:(
It’s the little bugs that surface that drive me crazy on these projects after you spend years on and try to make them right the first go around.

TJones
07-12-2020, 06:47 AM
Wow TJ if you are looking for an "Original Restore" that's the perfect "core".

I spotted that Hudson Radio also. I don't remember ever seeing one. That thing is pretty cool the way it sits.

Yes I’m like you bmorgil I’ve never seen a Hudson Radio, and scratched my head trying to figure out what the different knobs were for.

gmwillys
07-12-2020, 07:05 AM
Just remember that if it has teats, tires, or tracks, it's going to give you trouble.

The adapter seems to be a usual suspect for a leak. The castings must be fairly thin, and can't stand the stress of the filter nipple then the filter installed. I learned the hard way that oil filters are installed hand tight, even on heavy equipment. It's the little things that can be expected. AN fittings are really good, but if you follow the torque instructions, they will leak. At work we modified the work instructions to state that you torque the fitting then mark them with a torque stripe, then turn them a minimum of a 1/4 turn.

LarrBeard
07-12-2020, 12:45 PM
" ...and scratched my head trying to figure out what the different knobs were for."

Left knob was ON/OFF -Volume. Right knob is tuning (or maybe vice-versa).

The buttons in a row are your station presets. Pull a button all the way out, tune in the station you want, then push the button back in. Those are 1940-era mechanical frequency presets and recalls. In 1963, the left knob was WHBQ (560 KHz) in Memphis, the second knob was another Memphis station, but the middle knob (on a 5-button setup) was always WLS, 890 in Chicago. The right two were the local stations that no one really listened to except for St. Louis Cardinals baseball with Harry Carey.

There are still old coots around who can fix old auto radios, but even I am not sure if it is worth the effort.

TJones
07-12-2020, 01:35 PM
I figured you would know if anybody did about the radio Larry

bmorgil
07-12-2020, 03:50 PM
Wow I have never seen one, but Larry has heard and tuned one! I new he was way older than me.

gmwillys
07-12-2020, 05:12 PM
I have the Motorola radio that was in the wagon. For being one speaker, iit sounded alright, but that was when they played music on AM. We have one country station here, but all day on Saturday they have Tradio, where folks try to sell or trade their junk for waaay too much. Three tires like new with 1/4 tread left. All three are different brands, all for $100, mounted, but we need the rims back.... Just an example.

okiemark
07-12-2020, 09:58 PM
I have a couple of size 44 overalls and an iron that needs a new cord I'll trade you for them tires.

TJones
08-01-2020, 06:09 AM
Well I’m on a mission today to find someone to make a bikini top, a tonneau cover over the rear section and removable carpet for the front.
Found this place about 15 minutes from the house in the Portage Lakes Area that specializes in boat covers and builds custom convertible tops, Hope he’s willing to take a look at my project.
https://www.upholsteryakronohio.com

bmorgil
08-01-2020, 07:21 AM
I went on the same mission. I also ended up at a boat shop down the street! I haven't done it yet but, he was more than willing to "sew one up". It wasn't cheap and, I have to leave my Jeep. I don't see that happening. We will have to work that detail out.

LarrBeard
08-01-2020, 08:58 AM
I have to leave my Jeep. I don't see that happening. We will have to work that detail out.

Which one of you gets separation anxiety; peeJ or you? (payback for the old man crack)

TJones
08-01-2020, 09:29 AM
It wasn't cheap and, I have to leave my Jeep.

I agree bmorgil about it being pricey.......... the guy told me what the 3 would cost and it almost took my breath away, but what do you say he needs to make a living too.
He did tell me it would take 2 days and I would have to leave it:(:confused:

TJones
08-01-2020, 09:30 AM
Which one of you gets separation anxiety; peeJ or you? (payback for the old man crack)

;););) Thats funny ......

bmorgil
08-01-2020, 02:52 PM
Hahaaha! I didn't think you saw the old man joke Larry!

The umbilical cord is only so long and I don't want to sleep in his shop.

I forgot to say TJ... it's a Bimini top man! "Bikini" is a whole different view. The salacious jeeper uses those!

TJones
08-01-2020, 04:46 PM
No it’s “Bikini” if I can get her to go topless:cool::cool:

FAT CHANCE but it’s worth a try:confused:

gmwillys
08-01-2020, 08:23 PM
Bikini, bimini, versus topless..... Hmmm. I'm a rear end guy, and doesn't mind the sun beating down. Although the M38/CJ3A mashup that I had did have a bikini top and a roll bar, it didn't do too much in the rain.

bmorgil
08-02-2020, 06:14 AM
They are awesome in the sun though. I really would appreciate one on those sunny days, the only days it goes out. Currently I wear a large brimmed, incredibly floppy, white jungle hat with a neck drape. It is the only "Top" I have, lost my hair!

TJones
08-02-2020, 10:45 AM
If you know anyone looking for a carb for a F134 I just ran across this on Facebook Marketplace.

This is a carter yf carburetor. 938sd model. For a cj3b or cj5 with the f134 engine. It was rebuilt years ago with a new throttle shaft installed. May work as is but a cleaning would be in order. Price is $160 plus shipping.

TJones
08-21-2020, 02:31 PM
Well he got the tonneau cover finished up today and is working on the bimini top now, hope it turns out as good as the tonneau did!!!

gmwillys
08-21-2020, 02:58 PM
Looks great! Job well done.

bmorgil
08-21-2020, 03:22 PM
Nice! Tight man.

What was it like leaving it behind at his shop? Did you need to be tranquilized?

5JeepsAz
08-21-2020, 06:29 PM
Sharp looking Jeep!

TJones
08-22-2020, 06:06 AM
Nothing a couple beers didn’t fix:D
It’s been 3 days now and I’ve called 4 times asking when can I come pick her up!!!!

TJones
08-23-2020, 07:03 PM
Well oh wise ones what’s she worth??
https://www.proxibid.com/Farm-Machinery-Implements/1950-Willys-Overland-Jeepster-with-extra-parts/lotInformation/56116395
It’s the same one I looked at down the street from me a few weeks back. A guy bought it for $8,500 and backed out so the owner sent it to auction to get rid of it.

gmwillys
08-23-2020, 08:38 PM
I would go up to $5,000 with all the extra parts. Looks solid from the photos.

Then drive it by the neighbor's house.... Every day.